Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 09:01 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times

Advertisements

It's called The Dollar Store and Thrift Store

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
Well the holidays are coming so it is time to cough up some money and bring out the gifts. But what do you do when you got Christmas, then the wife's birthday the first week of January, then our wedding anniversary the last week of January then Valentine's day a few weeks later?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 12:04 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
You may be right, 20yrs, but that consumerism helps our economy and keeps the stock market strong, home values high, and everything cheery. Spending money is your patriotic duty Spending money right now in this economy, if you can afford it, is definitely patriotic. We need it!
Well, don't count on me to help. LOL When we did our taxes this year we made $12,000 gross and $8,000 after expenses (both self employed), and we live VERY WELL on that because we have everything we need! In fact, I "won" a $50 gift certificate for overstock.com on this very board and it took me two days to try to figure out something to buy with it. As it turned out, I bought something for my honey, because I DON'T WANT ANYTHING.

I'm a bad consumer, I'll admit. But I am a very, very happy person.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-16-2008, 11:08 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,058,817 times
Buy one really big gift and with a Happy ChristBirthAnniverseryTine card attached to it!

Old 11-16-2008, 11:35 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,637,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Well, don't count on me to help. LOL When we did our taxes this year we made $12,000 gross and $8,000 after expenses (both self employed), and we live VERY WELL on that because we have everything we need! In fact, I "won" a $50 gift certificate for overstock.com on this very board and it took me two days to try to figure out something to buy with it. As it turned out, I bought something for my honey, because I DON'T WANT ANYTHING.

I'm a bad consumer, I'll admit. But I am a very, very happy person.

20yrsinBranson
haha, I'm a great consumer, but also very happy. I spend about $3,000 per year on Amazon.com I'd say. They just hate me for their free shipping thing. Pay $70 for a year and get free two-day shipping. Well, that's great for them if you order only 20 or 30 things per year. I typically have 2-3 different shipments per week, it's not uncommon anyway. I'm positive they have to ship at least 70 things to me every year, even accounting for my slow periods, and would bet it's more like 100+, so they aren't making any money on my shipping plan

I'm self-employed as well, but where I live I need a net of $5,500 per month just to live decently. I don't even go out to restaurants hardly at all, or bars, I eat Subway every night and cereal for breakfast, so my food costs are not that high honestly. Sure, I could probably save $75 per month making my own sandwiches that wouldn't taste as good, but then I really wouldn't get out of the house much. haha.

It must be cool living some place where you don't have ridiculous overheads just for cost of living. It's so expensive here.

Old 11-17-2008, 02:28 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,338,885 times
I spoke with the wife and decided that her Christmas and birthday gift will be the same. So all I have to do is worry about our anniversary so I better start doing my homework ASAP.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:35 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,645,493 times
I feel your pain, our house goes like this. Christmas, then New Years Eve my fiances' birthday, then my bday in Feb, my son in March and my daughter in April. I can't get away from the birthdays!!!
You just have to plan carefully and because your SO knows the same thing you do, she isn't going to expect grandiose gifts with everything so close together - at least I would hope not anyway....

Old 11-17-2008, 07:46 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times
Hmm..I would get her the Gucci watch and not a knock off..What an insult..bleh...
And then take two pictures of the gucci watch and frame them.
One on each of the holidays to remind her the state of affairs of your wallet's personal life.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:47 AM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
Well the holidays are coming so it is time to cough up some money and bring out the gifts. But what do you do when you got Christmas, then the wife's birthday the first week of January, then our wedding anniversary the last week of January then Valentine's day a few weeks later?
get a divorce....
No, just kidding...

I would get something like a gift certificate for Christmas...men sort of have a habbit of not listening, when they're wives vocalize that they need something...so, if nothing comes to mind, I would get a gift certificate just for her, to something special that she wouldn't do for herself.

Wedding anniversary...big stuff...
Book dinner for 2 reservations at a place she's always wanted to go
ask them to bring out a small cake for dessert that says, I love you hun, or something to that effect. then...
book a hotel/motel room for the night..take 2 glasses and a bottle of champaign...make certain the motel room has a jacuzzi tub in it, and take bubble bath.

Brithday...another special gift certificate for something she's always wanted to do...or, hire someone to come in and cook dinner for her, they set up a table for two, with flowers, etc? Or take her to see a show...like a Broadway Show, women love that....

Valentine's Day...Or Anniversary

take her back to a special place that was once where you two went when you met, or were dating...or, book a bus tour for the two of you for a weekend after, could be a day trip or a weekend trip...like say to Niagra Falls...Bus tours are so much fun,they drive, they have a guide, and they always book the nicest rooms, shows etc.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:48 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times
And you better clean the house like a woman!
Or an OCD man...but no man-boy clean standards.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:52 AM

746 posts, read 2,176,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Tough schedule. Gifts for Xmas, Spa GC for her B-day, Weekend together (hotel?)for anniversary (w corresponding gift based on years wed), then cook dinner for VD.
I know I would like this from my husband! Good suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships