Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 02:25 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,572,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
I don't believe any of the women here who say looks don't matter. So I have to bring up this guy again. Remember how you all said you would not date this guy because he physically repulses you all.

Whatever happened to looks don't matter then ? So cut the b.s crap you all are just as shallow as men.
At least you've adimitted that you're shallow too. Are you trying to justify yourself by keep posting that picture?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 02:35 PM

3,885 posts, read 8,123,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
I don't believe any of the women here who say looks don't matter. So I have to bring up this guy again. Remember how you all said you would not date this guy because he physically repulses you all.

Whatever happened to looks don't matter then ? So cut the b.s crap you all are just as shallow as men.
I'm all good with being that shallow. And can we get a warning or something next time? One pic posting was more than enough!

Old 11-16-2008, 02:52 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
I think it's looks that initially attracts you to a person. But I have to say I would prefer to be around fun and upbeat people regardless of looks any day. I like to smile and if you are "hot" but you bring me down "you're toast".

I find a lot of really nice and decent people on this forum and I have no idea what they look like and it doesn't matter to me.

Last edited by ylisa7; 11-16-2008 at 03:00 PM..

Old 11-16-2008, 06:39 PM

4,483 posts, read 5,331,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikeboy25 View Post
I want to know from the people on this forum about something that I seem to notice with others. I know a lot of people of the opposite sex sometimes to be very compadible with one another yet there seems to be hesitation on of the people, usually the one who is considered "better looking."

Just out of curiousity: How important should looks be when u want to be with somebody? I know everyone says that were are supposed to love other people regardless of appearance, but don't looks dictate a big part of what makes other people attractive. I mean how are you suppose to kiss someone that you don't think is attractive.
Posting blind, without having read the other replies:

We ALL emphasize looks, only to different extents. But in my case, it goes beyond just how pretty a girl is or isn't.

In the not-too-distant past, I met a girl who was of decent height, slender, and had good skin. But there was something about her face that just ... well, I didn't like it. She was not ugly, by the way... she had good skin as I said and pretty eyes.

I had seen her picture before we met, and she looked like a "tough" girl. But when I say tough, I don't mean thuggish or ghetto. While attractive, there was a certain roughness to her aura that I couldn't quite describe but which I noticed and which made me feel a bit uncomfortable.

I've dated a lot of women and they all had, of course, different faces and different auras, but if there was one thing in common amongst those whose looks I "liked," it was that they had a pleasant/"smooth" aura about them. This girl didn't have that.

In addition, while we were talking, she would often make this certain facial expression which annoyed the hell out of me. It's hard to describe... it was like "" with a mix of unbelief, where her eyes would squint. I just couldn't stomach seeing that look on her face, and I know that it was something that I would never grow to like were I to date her.

Now I'm dating a girl who is quite feminine and attractive... when she doesn't smile, she looks rather serious, but she does have a "soft" enough aura, and the overall package is way more than sufficient for my standards (and if I told you folks I don't have certain expectations, I'd be a stinking liar.).

Old 11-16-2008, 06:44 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,040,169 times
Looks are everything.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:46 PM

19 posts, read 47,878 times
you gotta have something to offer: looks, money, power, brain or personality.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:47 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,116,949 times
It's obvious that you have to think that the person you are with is attractive to be able to have a complete relationship with them, but looks definitely are not everything.

You'd be amazed how much more attractive a person becomes as you get to know them better. I have met guys that at first glance, I would never consider attractive but after getting to know them, I have found that the power of their personality allowed me to see attractive qualities I didn't notice before.

Back to the wrestler example. Several women said that if they had a chance to get to know him, possibly, but knee jerk is "No". This guy also has several very unattractive physical qualities that would make it very difficult to want to get to know him.

Old 11-16-2008, 07:16 PM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberai View Post
At least you've adimitted that you're shallow too. Are you trying to justify yourself by keep posting that picture?
Honestly. Why keep trying to make a point that is hopelessly lost? Must be a mighty big chip on the old shoulder.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:09 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,645,493 times
I think and have always thought this, that people who say "looks are not important to me, etc..." are flat out liars BUT they may not know they are lying.
Look, you could have a phone relationship with someone for months, fall in love with the person you have been speaking to based on their personality - you may finally meet face to face and find out the person at the other end of the phone is a 800 lbs behemoth of a person, are you really going to tell me that you are going to continue having a serious relationship? What if the person was just really, really ugly - you can lose weight but you can't make something good looking that just has not hope of being that way. Sooo... I do think looks are somewhat important. I know that having somewhat of good looks has it's benefits. I think that even if a person according to others isn't traditionally good looking, to YOU they have to be attractive in some way. I do not think that everyone who is good looking is better - in fact, looks fade and there better be somthing really good underneath. I think that I'm average looking, I think my fiance is really good looking. But we both have really good personalities too so when the looks are gone, there is definitely something there.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:16 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,165,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikeboy25 View Post
I want to know from the people on this forum about something that I seem to notice with others. I know a lot of people of the opposite sex sometimes to be very compadible with one another yet there seems to be hesitation on of the people, usually the one who is considered "better looking."

Just out of curiousity: How important should looks be when u want to be with somebody? I know everyone says that were are supposed to love other people regardless of appearance, but don't looks dictate a big part of what makes other people attractive. I mean how are you suppose to kiss someone that you don't think is attractive.
Looks do matter, of course they matter.....you have to be attracted to somone in order to maintain that kind of relationship......however, personality can greatly enhance looks.......say you have a decent looking guy....if he's confident and funny and sweet and good in bed ......he totally has potential to be classified as a hottie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships