Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 04:06 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,338,885 times

Advertisements

...I usually get depressed a week before. I really don't like people to wish me happy birthday until a few days after. I don't even like receiving gifts or cards. Anybody feels the same (I honestly doubt it 'cause I'm weird)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 04:11 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,186,581 times
Why do you feel this way? Is it because of the aging process?

I won't wish you a Happy Birthday......ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
...I usually get depressed a week before. I really don't like people to wish me happy birthday until a few days after. I don't even like receiving gifts or cards. Anybody feels the same (I honestly doubt it 'cause I'm weird)?

Old 11-20-2008, 04:38 AM

11,396 posts, read 24,456,213 times
There are a lot expectations associated with special events like holidays and birthdays. Turn it around and look at your birthday from the reverse perspective. It makes your friends and family feel really great to celebrate your birthday. Don't take that gift away from them.

Old 11-20-2008, 05:06 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,338,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Why do you feel this way? Is it because of the aging process?

I won't wish you a Happy Birthday......ok

It's got to be. So I guess it is true that as you get older you get grumpier. lol

Old 11-20-2008, 06:07 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,645,493 times
Ohhh poor Mr. Cat.. what are we going to do with you? You have to learn to embrace your birthdays! You should love your birthday! It means you have lived another year - be happy!
I'm like a big kid when it comes to birthdays... the family makes me a cake, they sing happy birthday and we all have a fantastic time.
You have to figure out why it is that you see the birthday coming and get all wigged out about it.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:36 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,152,641 times
I turned 50 last Sunday. Depressed hell no, My lovely wife (13 years younger) organised a suprise treat 3 days before where I got to hand feed tigers, the night before she sorted a suprise meal with 2 good friends and their partners, we got absolutley trashed and then at 830 the next morning (my actual birthday) whilst she lay dying in bed- i got up went out in the cold and played soccer !

You only feel old if you allow yourself to.....i love the quote
getting old is compulsory, acting it is optional......................

Old 11-20-2008, 12:44 PM

188 posts, read 474,727 times
Quote:
I feel the same way. Maybe it is age. My wife loves to celebrate my birthday, she says it is very important to her, so I humor her. I still don't like it though.

Old 11-20-2008, 03:47 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,666,667 times
Quote:
boo hoo.

would you like it if J. Love hewitt wished you a happy birthday?

either way those are serious issues.
you should greet any day that you take a breath of life with a smile.

you should be glad you are alive. birthdays are markers of that happiness. be grateful you made it around the sun one more time. if you cant feel happy for yourself and your accomplishments in life, then that is a big issue.

birthdays also serve as times to reflect on what you have accomplished. what was your 15th year of life like? what has your 17th year of life been like.

birthdays are great. if you get uncomfortable when people acknowledge them, then that is indicative of deeper, more serious issues.
but only you will know that.

Old 11-20-2008, 03:52 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
I read a quote somewhere - Mark Twain maybe???? where people over the age of 10 really should not celebrate their birthday. Actually, I believe that the "tradition" was started by people who sell birthday cards!

Anyway, after a while, except for the "BIG" birthdays (18, 21, 40) they are just another day. I stopped the hoopla years ago and am much happier for it. After all, its really just between you and your mom, isn't it? Not the whole rest of the stinking world. (ok, and the Department of Motor Vehicles, maybe).

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-20-2008, 03:58 PM

754 posts, read 1,449,299 times
I'm the same way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships