Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2008, 12:05 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,935,527 times

Advertisements

This being the time of christmas...many men are looking at DIAMONDS as a jewerly gift or maybe a diamond ring for that special person.

Many are not aware that "tw" means total weight of the small diamonds which in some cases are really small diamond CHIPS.

When buying a diamond that is said to be 1/2kt or larger ask for a report from a CERTIFIED GEMOLOGIST re the clarity/weight/color etc. If they are reputable, they will gladly supply one in a few days. If they refuse or hem haw...walk out the door.

Many stores will have a small tag on the band (example) saying the number of kts/points...the thing is that it is generally rounded off and NOT exact.

Case in point from a personal experience. I went to a jewerly store that advertised diamond rings. I bought a mans ring with multple diamonds that was supposed to be a total of One Karet. The small paper band said "one kt". My receipt also said one mans diamond cluster total weight One kt.

Two yrs later I had the ring inspected by a Certified Gemologist who said my ring was .70kt and NOT One whole Karot as I was originally told. Now its two yrs later so I have no recourse to complain even tho they were still in business.

If you see a diamond ring that you like (solitare worth more money then chips)...make sure they specify how many points of a karot. Many diamonds are said to be One kt but in most cases are less in size...so be careful.

Back in 1976 I bought a mans diamond ring while on vacation going thru Oregon. The owner said that it was 3/4 kt with a flaw(crack) so being a dealer thought ...what the heck $500 was a resonable price so I bought it. Over the yrs was puzzeled why it appeared to be larger then other 3/4 kt rings I looked at. In 1994 I took it with the above mentioned ring to have it also appraised.

You will never guess what I found out. Turns out that my ring is .92kt (just under One kt) and has NO crack and was valued at $4500. Today the same ring is valued at $7000.

Four yrs ago I gave the .92kt ring to my grandson on the condition his mother holds on to it till he gets married. The cluster ring I gave to a older son 15 yrs ago. Two yrs ago bought a solitare diamond for my oldest son. My youngest son got his 1/2kt diamond ring from his grandfathers estate. I made sure that all my boys have diamond rings.

I know that diamonds are supposed to be a girls best friend...then again boys also need a family tradition.

Hope my lengthy experience helps someone out there since Christmas is coming real sood.

Happy hunting. Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships