Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 10:30 AM

350 posts, read 1,118,067 times

Advertisements

I was thinking about this on the way to work this morning, hoping I had won the megamillions.

I wondered if I won the lottery, would my husband of 29 years and I still stay married, since we'd have an a** load of money and wouldn't worry about the petty dividing up of what we have and could go our own ways in comfort.

I'm happy to say yes, I'd still want to be married to him.

Anybody else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 10:32 AM

5,554 posts, read 6,743,530 times
I don't think many would know until it happened. I would really think that couples, like you, who have been married many years and have families, know that family comes before any amount of money.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:34 AM

2,540 posts, read 6,233,634 times
Without a doubt, I'd stay married.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:34 AM

2,984 posts, read 5,859,734 times
Not at all. Wealth can not buy happeness.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:37 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,248,004 times
Would our relationship change? Absolutely! We'd spend more time together, have fewer worries, see more of our kids, and enjoy life a little more.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:47 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,055,119 times
I think it would actually improve things for us. For example, he is very conservative and 17 years older than me. In his mind, I should be driving around in a station wagon - because a station wagon is what HE likes. He always tells me he will get me a new car (of his choosing) if I will agree to sell the car I drive now. I tell him "no thanks" because he knows I am holding out for something I like and really want - which is NOT a station wagon. If we hit some lottery, there is no question that I am going to buy the car I want - and he can go out and buy any station wagon he wants. This is just one of many, many examples I could tell you guys about.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:50 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,748,758 times
I don't think it would change us one bit.....we have a blast together now. We could kick it up a notch and travel more.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:16 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,381,379 times
I think life would be easier, but I do not think any problems that may be there would go away due to the new found wealth, just like the good things would not change.

Now, things may be heightened, I suppose.

We may see the bad things as even worse, or not so bad.

The good things may be even better, or we might think that somehow, they could are worse.

I do not really think there is any way of knowing.

Money is a strange entity. We never know what it will do to a situation until it smacks us in the face.

I never thought money would change my family. I thought nothing could come between us, especially not money.

When my mother died and left me her life insurance, the siblings became very upset and greedy.

The proceeds of the house were split equally. They all came and took things from the house like savages.

I got the check and they were all asking if it had come yet. Wanting it, even though it was left to me. My mother could have named each of us in that policy, but she did not.

I am understanding there were reasons for her actions, now as I am older and looking at life differently.

Then I just wanted us all to get along. I did not want any grief, no strife.

I had just lost my mother who I had taken care of for many months and I did not want my family falling apart, but it did.

Money is evil.

Sitting at home at my desk, with a newly opened checking accounts and only the started checks it came with, I had my calculator out and I divided the 50k equally five ways, minus my paying off her funeral with some of it.

I made a check out to each of the siblings and one to myself.

There are five of us and there was three cents left over.

I have not looked back and I do not regret what I did that day.

I did it for the sake of my family and I did not let money take over my life as they had.

I let it go, and it is gone. Some call me stupid over that to this day.

Life choices, that is all it is.

Right now, I have nothing, things could have been different, I know this.

Do I care? Nope. Sure don't.

money comes. Money goes. It does not rule my life.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:28 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,553,445 times
What makes one think I'd tell my wife?

OK, OK, just joking.

Not much. Pay everything off, build a place on the coast, spend time with family...

Oh yeah, I'd have a private room with 100,000 $1 dollar bills and every so often I'd go in, scream like a toddler and throw money up in the air.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:33 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,381,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
What makes one think I'd tell my wife?

OK, OK, just joking.

Not much. Pay everything off, build a place on the coast, spend time with family...

Oh yeah, I'd have a private room with 100,000 $1 dollar bills and every so often I'd go in, scream like a toddler and throw money up in the air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships