Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 11:25 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,761,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tired-of-mn View Post
Man people are full of it on this site.Is everyone on here going to married to one person there whole life.I doubt it.Money is the #1 reason couples split.Too much money can have a negative impact as can too little.

I plan on it ....so far it will be 32 years in a couple of weeks. I guess I am not full of it. We've been broke, comfortable, had money and then broke again...we managed to stay no matter what because that is what it is all about. Not everything is about money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 11:28 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,664,524 times
I get excited about the big lotteries and we do talk about it. In if that off chance one of us would win what would we do? The response is always the same, we would not tell anyone that we won for about a week, we would plan out what we were going to do with the money and then go from there. My thing is that I don't know if I'd want my name plastered all over the news that I won. I know in Jersey you can opt out of being named but here in PA I don't know if you can be anonymous. That's my biggest fear that if I won (IF I won is a big IF) that I don't want every Tom, Dick and Harry pestering me for money.

Old 03-05-2009, 11:49 AM

78,779 posts, read 60,963,448 times
When I was married it wouldn't have changed anything.
Since I'm not in a relationship now, it would be kinda wierd dating because you really couldn't hide the fact that you are loaded since the fact that you aren't *working* would come up pretty quickly. I think it would be hard to not be working while dating someone that did. Maybe you could find a hobby you really liked and play things low-key until you got to know the person? LOL...I wouldn't mind finding out how that worked though lol.

Old 03-05-2009, 05:29 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,692,464 times
First thing I do is settle ALL of our debt, and set up large savings, retirement and college accounts. Then I would tell my wife because that's when the "grandiose" ideas come (I.E. adopting a child, starting a business in this economy etc.) With all of the important finacial decisions taken care of it would much easier to support her on her ideas, and I would not feel as though we would be throwing money out the window.

Old 03-05-2009, 05:32 PM

3,665 posts, read 8,681,597 times
If I won the lottery I would probably get divorced. But then again who knows, all the troubles we have had, alot of them could be improved with money. If not I could always hire a high class piece of A$$!!!

Old 03-05-2009, 06:42 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,294,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
When I was married it wouldn't have changed anything.
Since I'm not in a relationship now, it would be kinda wierd dating because you really couldn't hide the fact that you are loaded since the fact that you aren't *working* would come up pretty quickly. I think it would be hard to not be working while dating someone that did. Maybe you could find a hobby you really liked and play things low-key until you got to know the person? LOL...I wouldn't mind finding out how that worked though lol.
Ya mean you won't continue working...?! What American are ya anyway...?! You're supposed to live to work!

Old 03-06-2009, 05:55 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,667,622 times
We would just have more freedom to travel around the world and not stop . Our relationship would hopefully remain the same.

Money does make things easier but if you as a couple are not OK without it you will never be OK with it.

I don't have grotesquely extravagant tastes and neither does he so I suspect we would buy a slightly bigger house ( how big a house does a couple need) , maybe another home in South-West France or Tuscany and the rest would msotly spent on the road travelling around the world.

We've been together for over 20 years now so I think we know each other pretty well.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:38 AM

681 posts, read 2,881,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momojojo View Post
I was thinking about this on the way to work this morning, hoping I had won the megamillions.

I wondered if I won the lottery, would my husband of 29 years and I still stay married, since we'd have an a** load of money and wouldn't worry about the petty dividing up of what we have and could go our own ways in comfort.

I'm happy to say yes, I'd still want to be married to him.

Anybody else?
My relationship with my wife would become a great deal better and I know this from brief glimpses that we get. We work very stressful teaching jobs right now, which leave us frustrated and exhausted (and often angry) at the end of the day. We can't enjoy our weekends as much as we'd like to, because despite only being busy on each day until about noon, the specter of having to go back to work on Monday looms over us like a black cloud the entire time.

If we hit the lottery, which would be a miraculous occurrence indeed seeing as neither of us has ever purchased a lottery ticket, we would quit our jobs at the end of the school year (hey, you have to think about the students...) and live stress-free lives until the end of our days. Whenever we are on vacation, it hardly matters what we're doing... it's rare that we do "nothing"... but in the absence of the work-related stress, things do get a lot better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships