Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 01:24 PM

2,543 posts, read 4,885,027 times

Advertisements

To me, shallow means someone who's only interested in the physical attributes of someone and only cares and thinks that their opinion is the ONLY right opinion. Self-centeredness is shallow behavior also. Also treating someone like they are stupid, dumb, or like a bimbo, is very shallow behavior too (I've been treated like this in the past by 3 separate men).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 01:42 PM

4,483 posts, read 5,329,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Shallow, like 'shallow waters' meaning you are not 'deep' and are superficial.
A guy I was close to in college is just like this. He's a hardworking family man and he's not a reprehensible individual. He's just very shallow in his conversations. No depth at all. This is one of the key reasons I've distanced myself away from him in recent time (and other people from school as well). There were other things about him that made me realize I was best off not being close to him, but his shallowness was a major reason. He just can't hold a deep conversation with anybody about anything.

Old 10-14-2009, 02:49 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,391,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
If you like/prefer a trait or quality that someone who is attracted to you does not have, then you are shallow.

what?

Old 10-15-2009, 09:26 AM

491 posts, read 748,692 times
Defining shallow is difficult because you have to distinguish the difference between shallow and preferences. Everyone has preferences and having preferences is not neccesarily shallow by itself. I think that when people take there preferences to far and they become unrealistic is when it is shallow. Like I prefer brunettes to blonde girls. It is not that I think blondes are ugly I just like darker hair. I do not consider it shallow because I am not totaly closed to dating a blondes.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:46 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,949,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post
Is it someone that is only concerned with physical attributes or could it be someone incapable of any sort of human depth as far as whats important in life?
Have you ever known anyone for years that never shared anything beyond a shared interest? I guess what I'm asking is have you ever enjoyed someones company enough to want to get to know them better only to find they can't go there?
HAHAHAHA!!! YES!!!

dixie cup.

...or when they say something they think is profound and you just look at them without turning your head. Just your eyes move to fix on them a second to see if they are for real. Yeah. Hilarious.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:57 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,867,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcm58 View Post
Is it someone that is only concerned with physical attributes or could it be someone incapable of any sort of human depth as far as whats important in life?
Have you ever known anyone for years that never shared anything beyond a shared interest? I guess what I'm asking is have you ever enjoyed someones company enough to want to get to know them better only to find they can't go there?
My first husband was shallow for sure. He wanted me to be a certain weight, look a certain way, never cut my hair and never, not ever go without makeup. He was on my tail end constantly to look good for HIM so his buddies could ooooh and ahhh over his trophy wife. Was he all that and a bag of chips? NO, NO, NO!! He was good looking but an alcoholic who did drugs, sold drugs plus with all the harrassment I got from him to look good, he chased other women anyhow and scored probably 5 times in 11 years. The last time he scored, I left him...took my son and what I could stuff in my beat up old car and RAN. It took me a very long time to get over the emotional damage his shallowness caused.

Women can be shallow as well; this is not just a man thing. My niece would never not ever go out with anyone that wasn't Spanish, tall, dark and handsome. She met this guy recently who is about as tall as her, has a Sean Penn look to him and adores her. She gave him a chance, got rid of her shallow attitude and now they are talking permanent; buying a house, etc. She is so in love. Being able to go beyond a person's physical appearance and accepting who they are is learning to live as the good Lord wanted us to by treating others as we would want to be treated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships