Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 11:21 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,471,556 times

Advertisements

i have a friend just turned 50. he was considered "hot" a few years ago. got lots of invitations. a girl magnet (a bit fat a bit short, a bit bald, made no difference). the gals have backed off some of late. for most, as we grow older, that happens. i must admit his ego seems a bit damaged. by this change. many guys just dont want to do the work of hunting, its so much easier if they come to you. now that is not happening he seems a little nervous. to my amazement he has started going to the gym daily and cutting down on the whoppers.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 12-28-2008 at 11:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2008, 11:27 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,970,149 times
Quote:
The 18-35 set are lazy bums.
LOL very true.

Old 12-29-2008, 05:42 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,313,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
Ok, this has probably been discussed many times, but I need fresh responses:
Do guys like it when a girl asks them out? or does it sort of "take the wind out their sails"?

*I don't have a problem asking a guy out after several minutes of conversation if it seems to head in that direction. But at times I've felt that I jumped the gun, and maybe he wanted to ask me first??
any thoughts?
I've done it before. Actually when I was single in my younger days I persued a few . Only got turned down by one and he was my chiropractor. I still cringe with embarrasment 20 years later when I think of it.

Last edited by Raggy dee Ann; 12-29-2008 at 06:27 AM.. Reason: big mistake to have champange in the morning and type

Old 12-29-2008, 05:43 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,879,942 times
I understand now why when I was 20, being very handsome (I looked like the French actor Jean Paul Belmondo) it happened to me only ONCE (a lonely British gal as I wa vacationing in Spain) that a female went after me.
It used to upset me , it even made me angry, I was finding it terribly unfair, any average girl could have a host of suitors, and me, with my above-than-average looks, athletic body, suntanned et al, the girls were not queuing up in front of my door! what's wrong with being a man, I thought.
And to add injure to infamy, I was pursued by....gays!

Old 12-29-2008, 06:21 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,697,572 times
I asked out a pro-football player and got turned down! talk about embarrasing! I cringe a little too, not that I was turned down, but that I actually did it!
Oh well, I've gotten more "yesses" to make up for it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
I've done it before. Actually when I was single in my younger days I persued a few . Only got turned down by own and he was my chiropractor. I still cringe with embarrasment 20 years later when I think of it.

Old 12-29-2008, 06:22 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,697,572 times
maybe the gals were too intimidated to ask you? I don't let that bother me anymore, if I see a guy who's very handsome and appears single, what the heck? and if he says no, then life goes on!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
I understand now why when I was 20, being very handsome (I looked like the French actor Jean Paul Belmondo) it happened to me only ONCE (a lonely British gal as I wa vacationing in Spain) that a female went after me.
It used to upset me , it even made me angry, I was finding it terribly unfair, any average girl could have a host of suitors, and me, with my above-than-average looks, athletic body, suntanned et al, the girls were not queuing up in front of my door! what's wrong with being a man, I thought.
And to add injure to infamy, I was pursued by....gays!

Old 12-29-2008, 07:07 AM

212 posts, read 754,873 times
Whenever I meet a guy i find attractive I become socially retarted, I just nod and smile dumbly...I just honestly can't think of what to say back and looking them in the eyes is impossible, so they end up thinking i don't like them or/and that I don't speak english. I am inept at flirting! Is there classes or something I can take?

Old 12-29-2008, 07:19 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,313,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too-Much-Too-Young View Post
Whenever I meet a guy i find attractive I become socially retarted, I just nod and smile dumbly...I just honestly can't think of what to say back and looking them in the eyes is impossible, so they end up thinking i don't like them or/and that I don't speak english. I am inept at flirting! Is there classes or something I can take?
Don't know about classes, but your screen name gave me the over whelming urge to crank up some music by Garth Brooks....The song he wrote about Chris Ledoux... "Too young to feel this damn old".

Don't know why but it just did.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:29 AM

212 posts, read 754,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
Don't know about classes, but your screen name gave me the over whelming urge to crank up some music by Garth Brooks....The song he wrote about Chris Ledoux... "Too young to feel this damn old".

Don't know why but it just did.
Ha, i assure you my screen name has nothing to do with Brooks or Ledoux....but now that you mention it does fit

Old 12-29-2008, 07:34 AM

2,638 posts, read 6,023,979 times
True story.

A girl neighbor of mine (I was 18) asked me to take her to get her hair done. I thought that was odd, since she had tons of friends with cars. Being as naive as I was back then I figured why not.

As we set out, not 40 feet from the house, she turned to me and said, "look...I like you a lot. I know you like me a lot, because I've seen you checking me out. I want to hang out with you and see where it goes." That direct, unsolicited. We hooked up, and while we were only together for 3 months, that approach is and always has been a turn-on. Not just from an ego perspective, but it sets your mind at ease about a girl you're interested in.

I've never had a girl be that direct ever again although I see some peering at me from across the room. And I don't feel compelled to talk to them.

Some might think that's arrogant - but the fact is, I'm not a gambler at heart. I don't feel like I should have to roll dice on a yes/no answer, especially when the odds are always against me. Either they're lesbian or in a relationship or don't like you or aren't interested in anything serious or got hurt by some meathead or have 5 kids or...something. On the flip side, I've said it before...any woman can get a man. Their odds are much greater than ours. Because of that, I feel that more women should stack the chips and start asking guys out. The olden days of "shy guy approaches girl" should be done and gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships