Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 11:31 PM

355 posts, read 615,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
Yes, we're all taking her at face value. Why? Because her words are all we have to go on.

Of course, now you're magically reading his mind, but who's counting? It's just another perspective. The only way she'll know is to confront him about it.
Oh,please, please, please confront him like Avienne said and put it on Youtube.
Please?
I bet this conversation will be precious!
- You had sex with me ya evil bastard!
- But...but... you're my wife..
-That's not an excuse ya evil bastard!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 02:19 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,926,902 times
I know this is an old thread, but maybe someone else will get some information.
Haven't read the whole thing.

A rape is committed when consent is "neither given, nor implied".

The fact the OP was awake and allowed it to happen would probably mean any case would collapse in court, as there was no attempt to withdraw consent, and I think lawyers would tear it up.
Yes, the people who make false claims about it do cheapen it, but, in the OP's case, I'm not sure that was happening here, I think she's just realised he's actually capable of it, and is just checking if it's right or not.

However, just to clarify, to anyone who has this happen when they're NOT awake, this IS rape.
If you wake up, and he's having sex with you, he's raping you. Being asleep, or dead drunk, or in any other way incapacitated means it is not possible for consent to be given or not, so "not" is presumed.

The National Center for Victims of Crime - Library/Document Viewer (http://www.ncvc.org/ncvc/main.aspx?dbName=DocumentViewer&DocumentID=32701 - broken link)

Just because someone's not kicking and fighting, doesn't mean they're not objecting.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:49 AM

19,637 posts, read 12,226,539 times
What kind of psycho has sex with an unconscious person?!

Old 04-14-2010, 07:08 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,013,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
Why would you even want to go there? I mean, to just lay there, faking it, to see how far he would go? Hhmmmm....no, I don`t consider that rape.

I think you just gave Seeniorita her first real run for the money in my book of e-ffections!

The thing that I've noticed over and over in the first few pages of this thread (which is as far as I've read at this time) is that people seem to be willingly deliberating whether or not this constitutes rape...

-A - between a husband and a wife
-B - with her admitting she was half-awake, half-drunk and faking it in order to see how far he'd go
-C - with her admitting they were BOTH drunk.

I'm not saying one of these conditions or the other, I'm saying ALL of them TOGETHER -- and yet as of the point to which I've read thus far, no one has even bothered to question the husband's frame of mind, with the exception of professorsenator stating that it's semi-questionable based solely on mens rea.

Let's even go ahead and look at those things I listed separately:

A. This act is between a husband and wife.

Now we just know a kajillion and one women LOVE to scream about how a man doesn't own a woman's body just because he's her husband -- and this is correct, but it's also short-sighted because it completely disregards the fact of a little thing I like to call PRECEDENCE.

While it's perfectly arguable that when both partners are awake and operating within their full mental capacity the woman has every right to say NO if she's not in the mood for sex. I'm not contending that for a single, solitary second. However, unless she's said NO on numerous occasions, thereby indicating that she considers not only coitus entirely her choice but her husband's sexual overtures potentially objectionable, she has set a precedence for willingness to enjoy sexual congress with this man on a repeated basis.

Some idiot is going to come back with how by virtue of intoxication and SEEMING incapacitation her ABILITY to say no was removed and therefore the act in question falls under the heading of involuntary on her part and forced on his part, THIS is where the whole notion of mens rea comes into play BASED ON THE PRECEDENCE OF WILLING SEXUAL CONGRESS BETWEEN THESE PARTNERS.

It also brings us to...

B. This woman claims inebriation BUT also admits the capacity to judge her own actions enough to ACTIVELY fake it WITH the intent of seeing how far this man would go.

Some would argue based on the alleged (and I DO mean "alleged") viewpoint of the man in question, insisting that he was taking advantage of an unwilling partner. I call shenanigans, yet another case of responsibility on his part versus potential victim status on her part.

I contend that her willingness to continue "faking it" (per her admission) while allowing him to carry out the act of sex on her equates to consent (she had the conscious capacity to fake it, she therefore had the conscious capacity to stop it if she actually objected) and dances dangerously along the border of encouragement given the presence of both her conscious decision to go along with it rather than object (indicating an experimental curiosity, NEVER any indication of fear or desire to stop this), her admission of awareness despite her inebriation and the aforementioned precedence.

And finally...

C. Her admission that both parties were intoxicated. This includes HIM, much as many would prefer to pretend that as a man he was required to be responsible.

- intoxicated man in the comfort of his own home, therefore feeling secure
- intoxicated man with his willing partner, per the precedence of willing sex in their relationship history
- intoxicated man, indicating potentially impaired judgment on his part WHILE having no reason to assume she would be unwilling

She can judge her own level of intoxication with reasonably reliable accuracy, I think we can safely assume. She can judge his perceived level of intoxication but without a BAT (blood alcohol test) she cannot reliably attest to his frame of mind or capacity for judgment.

Further, while she admits to being inebriated WHILE stating that she had the capacity to judge, it brings to mind the question of her judgmental reliability. She is certain she simply lay there as though unconscious (while faking it), but was the room dark, or could her husband see her clearly? Did she smile or make any noises which he might have taken as encouragement? (I know I've tried not to smile while pretending I was asleep; some people do it better than others, I find it difficult since I lack a poker-face.)

Since she admits lying there out of curiosity, was she potentially amused by this, possibly resulting in a smile, however slight? Even a slight smile might be misconstrued as encouragement from a partner whose judgment was, admittedly, impaired.

Yankeegirl has it right: Why would you even want to go there? It's the sexual equivalent of making a fake profile and flirting with your spouse online to see whether they'll flirt back with someone they believe a stranger. It lies somewhere between a-ha, gotcha and entrapment of a questionable nature.

EDIT: I see by the 3rd page people were questioning this woman -- thank GOD for that!

Old 04-14-2010, 08:57 AM

4,941 posts, read 8,326,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
I think you just gave Seeniorita her first real run for the money in my book of e-ffections!

B. This woman claims inebriation BUT also admits the capacity to judge her own actions enough to ACTIVELY fake it WITH the intent of seeing how far this man would go.

Some would argue based on the alleged (and I DO mean "alleged") viewpoint of the man in question, insisting that he was taking advantage of an unwilling partner. I call shenanigans, yet another case of responsibility on his part versus potential victim status on her part.

I contend that her willingness to continue "faking it" (per her admission) while allowing him to carry out the act of sex on her equates to consent (she had the conscious capacity to fake it, she therefore had the conscious capacity to stop it if she actually objected) and dances dangerously along the border of encouragement given the presence of both her conscious decision to go along with it rather than object (indicating an experimental curiosity, NEVER any indication of fear or desire to stop this), her admission of awareness despite her inebriation and the aforementioned precedence.

Yankeegirl has it right: Why would you even want to go there? It's the sexual equivalent of making a fake profile and flirting with your spouse online to see whether they'll flirt back with someone they believe a stranger. It lies somewhere between a-ha, gotcha and entrapment of a questionable nature.

EDIT: I see by the 3rd page people were questioning this woman -- thank GOD for that!
I agree with Yankeegirl. It's scenarios like this that make me sorry for the men who get wrongly accused of rape. She KNEW what was going on, enough to lay there and see how far it would go. At any point, she could have told him no. Her degree of drunkeness didn't cloud her ablity to be sneaky! Now she is questioning it? Please.....it's women like this that make me want to smack them!

Old 04-14-2010, 09:09 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,485,841 times
And you aint been smacked til you've been SEENIORITA SMACKED!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-14-2010, 09:10 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,005,830 times
Definitely not rape but I can't decide which of you were weirder.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:19 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,554,748 times
If you have to ask, it probably isn't rape.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:31 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,383,485 times
When my husband used to work late nights, he would start off with me in the middle of the night while I was sleeping. I didn't mind because those were the times when he was doing all the work. I would never call it rape. He is my husband for crying out loud and I sure was not protesting!!!!
Sorry - I do not see OP's situation as rape in any way, shape or form.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:41 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,952,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
Well, rape might be a strong word. Once, many years ago, in my first marriage, we were in bed after a party and pretty drunk. My husband was making sexual overtures and I was half faking sleep-half in a drunken stupor. Anyway, I was completely unresponsive. He proceeded to continue as though I was totally conscious. I continued to fake sleep curious to see how far he would take this. Sure enough, he had intercourse with me.

I never said anything about this to him partly because I felt responsible. After all, I was kind of faking. But, I have always remembered it and it always gave me the creeps.

Have any of you men done this? How do you feel about it? Ladies, ever have this happen? Or, has it ever happened that you really were passed out and found out after the fact?
I don't know...where do you live again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships