Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2009, 04:28 PM

9,229 posts, read 16,587,524 times

Advertisements

Ave Maria. So I'm corresponding with this guy on a dating site. He's one of those wanna-be statisticians with the "99% of women are looking for blah, blah, blah" thing going - so he's already out of the running. But this is what he tried to educate me with:

"A woman 19-27 you can impress them with a Nice Stereo or Expensive Shoes

A woman 28-37 you can impress them with fine dinning and nice cars

A woman 38-47 you just need to give them the most important thing they have never had (Love & Respect)"

Of course, I responded with the usual "show me the data". I am only one person, but I don't agree with any of it. Sure there are people like that, but to bundle them up that way with such conviction just shows how ignorant he really is.

I especially disagree with the 38-47 category. IMO, women that age in the dating market (a) have had love and respect at least once, if not more. And (b) practicality tends to set in as you mature, for many. The idea that most women that age, let alone all, stop wanting "fine dining" and turn to love and respect as being all that matters is alien to me. I felt that way when I was 16; as long as we were in love, food, water and air meant nothing. But now? I can love a man so much that the angels would weep. But if he is not stable in every other area, he's out.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 04:32 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,120,770 times
I still want the nice shoes and the nice cars and the fine dining. Oh, and vacations and clothes and money and nice house and ballroom gowns and diamonds and ...........

Oh yeah, and the love and respect thing too!

Old 01-12-2009, 05:41 PM

54,505 posts, read 33,934,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I still want the nice shoes and the nice cars and the fine dining. Oh, and vacations and clothes and money and nice house and ballroom gowns and diamonds and ...........

Oh yeah, and the love and respect thing too!
LOL... is that all?

I'm just kidding.. - Unfortunately there are women who get all that, and they're still not happy...

I think the love that comes from a sincere heart is more important than anything else.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:19 PM

18,247 posts, read 22,594,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
Ave Maria. So I'm corresponding with this guy on a dating site. He's one of those wanna-be statisticians with the "99% of women are looking for blah, blah, blah" thing going - so he's already out of the running. But this is what he tried to educate me with:

A woman 38-47 you just need to give them the most important thing they have never had (Love & Respect)"

Of course, I responded with the usual "show me the data". I am only one person, but I don't agree with any of it. Sure there are people like that, but to bundle them up that way with such conviction just shows how ignorant he really is.

I especially disagree with the 38-47 category. IMO, women that age in the dating market (a) have had love and respect at least once, if not more. And (b) practicality tends to set in as you mature, for many. The idea that most women that age, let alone all, stop wanting "fine dining" and turn to love and respect as being all that matters is alien to me. I felt that way when I was 16; as long as we were in love, food, water and air meant nothing. But now? I can love a man so much that the angels would weep. But if he is not stable in every other area, he's out.

Thoughts?
Only a man who has never known love from 19-47 would have such an immature outlook on what it takes to woo a woman of any age.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:29 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,890,777 times
Quote:

That is the most insane thing I've ever heard. Using cars, fine dining to impress 28-37? What man would even want to be seen with a woman over 25?

Not me that is for sure.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:06 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,121,214 times
Ive always felt the best way to get an attractive women is a single one when shes reaching her mid 30's whos deperate because scared to death shes gonna never find a husband have kids etc

Till then too many girls want to find there knight in shining armor whos perfect and when they dont find him they complain theres no good men

Old 01-12-2009, 11:23 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,120,770 times
I'm going to have myself sealed into an airtight bubble to insulate me from the men of the world.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:30 PM

403 posts, read 1,122,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
Thoughts?
No offense, but I don't think you understand the dynamic you're in with him. Let me explain:

1. He's an insecure guy who wants to dominate the interaction, so he's playing "the teacher." The insecurity part is that he doesn't really know if what he's saying is true or not, so he's using you as a soundboard for his theories. He wants to look like he's in control, while simultaneously testing his knowledge base on you--all to bolster his own confidence.

He would like you to either silently listen to him, so he can feel like he taught you something, or for you to make a pedestrian attempt at debating him, so that he can feel like he "set you straight." But it's an uneasiness with women that causes him to say those things, not the security that comes from "truly knowing."

On a date, if a guy says the words, "I know women..." he's trying to convince you that he's in control, even though if he really knew women, he sure wouldn't announce it, as it would wreck any strategy. That's like a guy who's just about to get in a fight and tells his opponent, "You know, I'm a black belt." If he could really deliver, he'd keep his mouth shut and surprise everyone by delivering a beat down.

2. You may be repulsed by him, but you're falling into the trap of reacting to him and thinking about him. For some guys, this is the best they can hope for. He certainly got your attention. Don't let yourself get over-stimulated and sucked into his world.

Asking for data, is a sign that you're willing to engage his nonsense. It's like the episode of Seinfeld where that guy tells Elaine that Dustin Hoffman was in Star Wars. It's just to get attention and another date.

A guy that has good game can turn annoyance into attraction very easily. Thankfully, you have nothing to worry about with this dude.

Hopefully, you won't respond with a "I'm not getting stimulated by him, getting sucked into his game, etc." 'Cause then you'd be getting sucked in by me.

Old 01-13-2009, 05:33 AM

15,471 posts, read 25,929,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
That is the most insane thing I've ever heard. Using cars, fine dining to impress 28-37? What man would even want to be seen with a woman over 25?

Not me that is for sure.
What about a woman in her 40's who looks 25?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships