Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 01:45 PM

2,751 posts, read 5,364,751 times

Advertisements

We've all heard the expression it takes all kinds, but how many of us truly understand its implication and embrace it in our everyday lives? For myself, I am not what most would term a religious guy, though I have a belief, a hope anyway that there is a God, a Heaven, some rhyme or reason for all this. Further, I am not and have never been a turn-the-other-cheek kind of guy, though as I age I am softening and more likely to let little things go. Neither have I been above the knee-jerk judgment of others that I, after a longer look, find was misguided and unfair. It seems that it is a defense mechanism deep in our DNA, something related to fight or flight that only the 'fittest' of us could develop and therefore survive. Today we call it street-smarts or worldliness to make such quick judgments and it is seen as an admirable trait, but I wonder how often we are wrong. 'Course, in some situations you get one shot to be wrong and not another, and so I understand where it comes from, but lost opportunities and discounting a person who may have really added something to your life seems a shame.

The world has gotten smaller. We get a glimpse of people today we've never had before. More and more the way we think, behave and speak has an effect on others. Do we have now more of a responsibility to give people the benefit of the doubt, to not be so quick to write people off as someone not worth our time or energy? Is this true as a country, as a world, or even in the lowest possible common denominator, one on one?

It could be that we are in a great period of adjustment. That technology is not only presenting us with a challenge, but will in its time deliver us into a new age, a Golden Age? Could be that our bad behavior as a race is based only on fear, and ignorance has been our greatest enemy. That once we've all got access to the same information we will agree more times than not, offer a handshake rather than a crack across the mouth, use compassion and learn from others instead of see any opposition as a threat, something to be neutralized, eliminated or destroyed.

I tend to believe it. I can be as cynical as the next guy/gal, but I have to believe that human nature will evolve. If not, then would somebody please tell me what in the hell this has all been about? Nothing? That could be, I won't deny it. God knows we sure are taking our time about it. But that could just be impatience, our flawed perspective. There are facts and then there is what we see, and often if not always they are quite different.

Do you agree that we can still save ourselves? Or do you think that history can only repeat itself? That man will never learn its lesson and if you had a crystal ball that actually worked, you'd look 50, 100, 1000 years in the future to find that nothing has changed, in the way that we treat each other as individuals, as nations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 04:45 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,869,001 times
Quote:
Or do you think that history can only repeat itself?
History always repeats itself and if you study history you will see that happening. Humans have a very short term view of the world.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:17 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,548,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
History always repeats itself and if you study history you will see that happening. Humans have a very short term view of the world.

Agree 100%

Old 01-21-2009, 06:47 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,340,815 times
Quote:
How about other life forms?

Old 01-21-2009, 07:02 AM

378 posts, read 772,507 times
Someone told me this line, and I'm using it to make my point:

In America, we say "I'm beautiful.", while in Japan, they say "You're beautiful."

IMO, the evolution of being is to be compassionate and selfless. I think and hope people will grasp that soon....

Last edited by joyBeing; 01-21-2009 at 07:46 AM..

Old 01-21-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:

To state this, this flatly, is to say that nothing ever improves. Isn't it? I don't think that's true. Sure, sometimes, often, things actually get worse. But what was it, just yesterday that we swore in our first black president? Now, the fact that he's black (half), is to me only symbolic. It does mean that Americans have evolved to the point that they could even consider voting for him, but more important, the way I see it, is Obama 'promises' to change the game. Whether he'll be able to or not, I don't know, but I am hopeful. Why not?

By the way, I have studied history, minored in history in college, and have a pretty good grasp. I would mention things to you like the fall of the wall in Berlin, the self-induced implosion of communism in the Soviet Union, the defanging of Imperial Japan...

I often wonder if devout cynics/pessimists are raising children. Before I was I was probably more cynical. But what I found just a couple years into it was you can not bring a kid into this world and say, 'Welcome to the world, oh and by the way, it is utterly absurd."

Old 01-21-2009, 11:55 AM

440 posts, read 1,682,682 times
I think the entire world's issue is lack of communication and respect for others, and for ourselves.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:08 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,180,569 times
I think when one looks at the history of mankind, there is a pattern of great civilizations rising and then falling. And I believe that our current society will eventually fail and fall into some sort of chaos or other dire situation. Human nature being what it is, we can't stop our bad tendencies and what's going to destroy what we know now could be one of many triggers, some sort of epidemic, war or famine. Humans are selfish creatures, unless there is plenty of food, water and life is good, we don't easily pull all together as a team. Having a common enemy is also a great uniter.

Anyway, right now, there are way to many humans on this planet and the population is still climbing... our planet's resources just can't sustain this amount of people. The tipping point is approaching.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWPN View Post
I think the entire world's issue is lack of communication and respect for others, and for ourselves.
Yes, I agree, and that is precisely why I have hope. At this moment, I am talking to you, I don't know you, male or female, American or otherwise, rich or poor, and yet, due to technology we are able to communicate and share ideas, break down misunderstandings, learn from each other, etc....

It will take time, and I guess I'd have to concede that we are in a race with ourselves, trying to outdistance our past, our bassest instincts, but you know what? I really beleive that we will.

When? It could be as long as 100 years from now, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I think when one looks at the history of mankind, there is a pattern of great civilizations rising and then falling. And I believe that our current society will eventually fail and fall into some sort of chaos or other dire situation. Human nature being what it is, we can't stop our bad tendencies and what's going to destroy what we know now could be one of many triggers, some sort of epidemic, war or famine. Humans are selfish creatures, unless there is plenty of food, water and life is good, we don't easily pull all together as a team. Having a common enemy is also a great uniter.

Anyway, right now, there are way to many humans on this planet and the population is still climbing... our planet's resources just can't sustain this amount of people. The tipping point is approaching.
Maybe the tipping point is here. I don't think things have ever been this bad, not in my lifetime anyway. Maybe you have to hit bottom before you can begin that long, steady climb...

'Great' Societies do fall, are doomed, or at least have been, for the same reason that great talents or billionaires are at risk of the same thing, they forget what works, what got them there, they get fat and lazy and worst of all arrogant. They don't care about those left behind and in time they self-destruct...

But what if, through unlimited communication, we are able to learn?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships