Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 04:21 PM

19,786 posts, read 22,680,815 times

Advertisements

Right, Newsense.. Nonsense it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 04:33 PM

1,863 posts, read 4,300,247 times
I haven't heard it gender specifically. I have heard, "It is better to be with someone who loves you more than you love them."

Makes sense in a way I guess. Although it is not easy to really determine who loves who more. It may start out one way then feelings may decrease or increase.

I have been in a situation like that. It did make it easier in a sense to be with someone who has stronger feelings because I didn't have to work as hard to maintain it. He was really head over heels. I found myself not caring if I returned his calls because I knew he would not stay angry at me (or even get angry at times he had every right to do so) because he felt so strongly about me. I cared about him, but honestly I didn't care about the relationship much. It gave me almost all the power- if he threatened to leave, I'd tell him "Ok, don't call me anymore". Then he would freak out and say he didn't mean that. It is obvious why a self-centered type would flourish in that kind of relationship. I'm not like that, so I didn't like it at all and felt bad about the whole thing.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:18 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,550,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Turn it around. Do you think the following is real, healpful, meaningful advice for women? "A relationship can only work if you love him more than he loves you."

Nonsense.
I've heard, "You need be with a man who loves you more than you love him." I can see where I'd benefit from that, but what about him? Doesn't seem fair.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:29 PM

647 posts, read 2,083,915 times
Who came up with this theory? Was someone just sitting around philosophizing one day?

Old 02-10-2009, 07:34 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,751,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
Ive heard allot of people here say this can you explain why you feel this is true??
Really?

I'm in one of those relationships. Turns out he's leaving me for some woman he reconnected with online. He's leaving me and my son after six years together to move off to England to be with her. I don't think they've seen each other in about 30 years--boy is she in for a surprise.

I've loved him since I was 19 years old (I'm 48 now). He found me just the same way--reconnecting after years apart. It's obvious who loves who the most--the one that's been lied to and betrayed.

I'm voting for equality in love. Otherwise it's a completely unlevel playing field.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:40 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,685,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
Ive heard allot of people here say this can you explain why you feel this is true??
I do not agree. I love my husband so much. We have a deep mutual love that encompasses respect, generosity, passion, awe and numerous emotions that are introduced and awakened each and every day.

We are each fair, compassionate and loving towards each other.

We acknowledge each others needs, wants and dreams.

I feel very sorry for anyone who seeks a mate who "loves them more"...
That speaks volumes for that person's maturity or lack there of.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:43 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
i dont know why but it works. old timers say it i eventually became an old timer and its true. rigorous attempts were made by me to disprove it, suffering proved my efforts were in vain.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:59 PM

4,498 posts, read 6,317,463 times
It would only "work" if the woman had very low self esteme. Not a healthy relationship and only satisfying to a man who wants to dominate and control.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:26 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,550,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post
I do not agree. I love my husband so much. We have a deep mutual love that encompasses respect, generosity, passion, awe and numerous emotions that are introduced and awakened each and every day.

We are each fair, compassionate and loving towards each other.

We acknowledge each others needs, wants and dreams.

I feel very sorry for anyone who seeks a mate who "loves them more"...
That speaks volumes for that person's maturity or lack there of.
Congratulations, you're very fortunate.

And I second that.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:57 AM

323 posts, read 788,537 times
There's a Sex and the City episode where Carrie's friend tells her that "it's better to marry someone that loves you more than you love them." Eh, I'd rather be alone than settle for some guy that I only like while he is crazy about me.

I've been in a relationship where my feelings were stronger than his.. And I completely kept my options open. I would have dropped him in a second if I'd found someone that reciprocated my feelings.

"Go where you are celebrated, not tolerated!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships