Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 02:37 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times

Advertisements

In my dealings with people, I have come across too many inflicted with "box thinking". They insist their belief system to be the way, the truth and the light. They not only deny themselves the opportunity to learn something new, they alienate those who know, first hand, that these differences actually exist. I have experienced outside the box. So, I can attest to there being other truths and realities.

I have been talked down to, called a liar, stupid or accused of not admitting the truth about myself, by total strangers. It doesn't make the truth any less so. It's similar to being told I am a 65 year old Swedish woman, when I know I'm not.

For instance, I have a black belt in karaoke. It usually takes place in a bar. A guy I started dating, as a result of meeting in a karaoke joint, proceeded to preach to me that I should be singing at church, not at a bar in front of a bunch of drunken losers, and God didn't give me this voice to abuse it. He also said that no mother leaves their child at home to go singing at a bar. I told him that I don't go to church, so I would have no desire to sing at one. And I would have brought my child with me, but he doesn't like the smoke. I was then labeled a horrible mother and an aetheist. He then became history.

Fact is, he was wrong, 150%. All the insults, projections and pontifying are not going to change the fact that my son was perfectly fine, I am a great mother, I was not abusing my voice by singing at a bar and I am not an aetheist.

I don't understand the logic in "winning" an argument or having to be right. It doesn't make the issue a reality. It doesn't make one legitimately smarter or better. Do you want to appear to be better or do you actually want to be better - not by agreeing with others or giving in but by opening up to the possibility that there are other truths outside of your own.

Sometimes, people just suck and they're stupid and I just don't want to play with them.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 02:42 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
That guy was a total jerk. I know exactly how you feel but remember, religious nut-jobs like that cannot be reasoned with and even spoken to on an intellectual level. They are so brainwashed by religion that they are unable to see things any other way.

Im not into "winning" an argument or getting the last word in, especially with people like that so I usually either just ignore them or do something to utterly embarrass them or make them feel stupid.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
That guy was a total jerk. I know exactly how you feel but remember, religious nut-jobs like that cannot be reasoned with and even spoken to on an intellectual level. They are so brainwashed by religion that they are unable to see things any other way.

Im not into "winning" an argument or getting the last word in, especially with people like that so I usually either just ignore them or do something to utterly embarrass them or make them feel stupid.
Oh, trust me, he wasn't religious. He was just a hypocrite.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:45 PM

973 posts, read 3,304,931 times
Well said. People like that burn my biscuits. My thoughts and feelings don't nicely align with some of my friends or family members, much less strangers but I really don't feel the need to cram my opinions down their throat. It's not that important to me to sway someone over to my personal bandwagon.

I'm not very tolerant of those who try to cram their opinions down another persons throat. It shows they are either very controlling or just insecure, IMO.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:46 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
I agree, super religious people are so brainwashed that they encompass very little common sense or logic of their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post

Old 02-12-2009, 02:53 PM

462 posts, read 968,673 times
Stubborn, opinionated, close minded people are the worst! They are always right. They have an opinion on everything & expect you to take it as gospel & get offended when you dont.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmobizmo View Post
Well said. People like that burn my biscuits. My thoughts and feelings don't nicely align with some of my friends or family members, much less strangers but I really don't feel the need to cram my opinions down their throat. It's not that important to me to sway someone over to my personal bandwagon.

I'm not very tolerant of those who try to cram their opinions down another persons throat. It shows they are either very controlling or just insecure, IMO.
Right on. They think you are trying to convince them, when you're actually just expressing that there is simply another side to things. Whether they accept it or not has no effect on your life, so it's not necessary that they agree. Yet, they think it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
I agree, super religious people are so brainwashed that they encompass very little common sense or logic of their own.
They are a perfect example, Artsy. I'm not going to get into a religious discussion, but if God intended us to be perfect, he would have made it so.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:55 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
I love your screen name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonpieheaven View Post
Stubborn, opinionated, close minded people are the worst! They are always right. They have an opinion on everything & expect you to take it as gospel & get offended when you dont.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:57 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
A guy proceeded to preach to me that I should be singing at church, not at a bar in front of a bunch of drunken losers, and God didn't give me this voice to abuse it. He also said that no mother leaves their child at home to go singing at a bar.
song and singing and dance and dancing are pure expressions of joy, life, and divinity. The Creator is soooooooo happy when people sing and dance and feel joy. Some of my most happy moments, when I've felt closest to my Creator, have been on the dance floor, or singing with all my heart.

thank you for a warm, wonderful, wise post

and there is no greater gift to give our children, than showing, living, and expressing joy for life. A singing mom is a happy mom, and a happy mom is a good mom. What a wonderful gift to give your son. He is very lucky to have you for a mom, and the wisdom you are expressing in the post is inspiring for us all to hear. Thank you.

Old 02-12-2009, 03:02 PM

52,267 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post

Sometimes, people just suck and they're stupid and I just don't want to play with them.

LOL, best line of the day.

I'm gonna steal it and put it inside a greeting card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships