Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2019, 09:22 PM

1,248 posts, read 825,635 times

Advertisements

So I (mid 20s) went on a first date with this girl almost two years ago. It went great, and we agreed to go out again a couple of weeks later after she got back from her hometown. But she found out that her "friend" was moving back to the area, and cut me loose (in a respectful and kind way) before we could meet again because she was hoping to start something with him.

I haven't thought about her since then, but I do remember her because it was one of the best first date conversations I've ever had.

Fast forward to today. I decided to try Facebook dating, and saw that she has a profile. Clearly things with her friend didn't work out, since Facebook dating is new this year. I sent her a like with no response as of yet. I still have her number and am toying with the idea of texting her.

Questions:

1. For women who have tried Facebook dating: do you typically look at all of the guys who liked you, or just swipe and only look at the profiles you've matched with?

2. Would it be weird or creepy for me to text her saying that I saw her profile and enjoyed meeting her before? She was definitely interested then, but I'm under no illusion that she would remember much about me now or still have my number in her phone. Another option would be looking up her actual Facebook page (we aren't friends) and messaging her there. I accept that the odds may be low; I just don't want to make her uncomfortable.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2019, 09:29 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,828,111 times
Trying for 2nd date 2 years later ?? as a lady no way i will consider giving this guy a chance

Old 12-28-2019, 09:41 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
She hasn’t replied to your dating request. Why would you be thinking of more contact?

Old 12-29-2019, 03:33 AM

1,350 posts, read 819,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffle View Post
So I (mid 20s) went on a first date with this girl almost two years ago. It went great, and we agreed to go out again a couple of weeks later after she got back from her hometown. But she found out that her "friend" was moving back to the area, and cut me loose (in a respectful and kind way) before we could meet again because she was hoping to start something with him.

I haven't thought about her since then, but I do remember her because it was one of the best first date conversations I've ever had.

Fast forward to today. I decided to try Facebook dating, and saw that she has a profile. Clearly things with her friend didn't work out, since Facebook dating is new this year. I sent her a like with no response as of yet. I still have her number and am toying with the idea of texting her.

Questions:

1. For women who have tried Facebook dating: do you typically look at all of the guys who liked you, or just swipe and only look at the profiles you've matched with?

2. Would it be weird or creepy for me to text her saying that I saw her profile and enjoyed meeting her before? She was definitely interested then, but I'm under no illusion that she would remember much about me now or still have my number in her phone. Another option would be looking up her actual Facebook page (we aren't friends) and messaging her there. I accept that the odds may be low; I just don't want to make her uncomfortable.

Thanks
She won't even remember you. 2 years is a long time when you're in your early 20s. She may have just made up the - other guy - story, to politely get rid of you.

You only had one date, one in person conversation. She blew you off after that.

If you contact her.... now??? She will think stalker, creepy.... desperate?

Sorry, but you need to move on. Good luck, hope you find someone new with the Facebook dating.

Old 12-29-2019, 06:18 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,036,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil_fields View Post
She won't even remember you. 2 years is a long time when you're in your early 20s. She may have just made up the - other guy - story, to politely get rid of you.

You only had one date, one in person conversation. She blew you off after that.

If you contact her.... now??? She will think stalker, creepy.... desperate?

Sorry, but you need to move on. Good luck, hope you find someone new with the Facebook dating.
After 2 years, she would not think of him as a "creepy" or a "stalker", esp. since you mentioned she would have forgotten about him...so, it's starting fresh once again.

Old 12-29-2019, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
After 2 years, she would not think of him as a "creepy" or a "stalker", esp. since you mentioned she would have forgotten about him...so, it's starting fresh once again.
Once she remembers who he is, I would think she would feel that way about him. Maybe that's just me though (female here). I'm trying to save OP from embarrassing himself to her. It was only ONE date, one conversation. Then she told him she's pursuing another guy (whether that was an excuse or not). She has no interest in him, obviously.

OP - Think about it. She has been on Facebook dating this year. Soooo, wouldn't she *maybe* have contacted you, or your FB page, Liked something of yours, or done anything at all... if she had the slightest interest or memory of you? Now that she's been single for the last year?

Old 12-29-2019, 07:21 AM

10,503 posts, read 7,043,034 times
I think you guys are being a bit harsh. Things happen. Maybe she is embarrassed about how things went down, so she hasn't reached out to him. I had a situation like that when I was in college. Then, three years later, I bumped into her at a bookstore. We started talking and then dated for six great months before she moved away for graduate school.

OP, why don't you try an intermediate step? Just reach out and say, 'Hello,' and ask if she's doing well. If she responds in a positive way, then fantastic. If she doesn't, you then have your answer.

Old 12-29-2019, 07:40 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffle View Post

Questions:

Thanks
Personally, if she doesn't respond to the Facebook dating request, I'd leave this one alone. She had her say the first time and rejected you. I don't think she'd be interested in going down that road again since she has declined previously. The ball is in her court now, leave it there if she doesn't pick it up.

Old 12-29-2019, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
I think you guys are being a bit harsh. Things happen. Maybe she is embarrassed about how things went down, so she hasn't reached out to him. I had a situation like that when I was in college. Then, three years later, I bumped into her at a bookstore. We started talking and then dated for six great months before she moved away for graduate school.
OP, why don't you try an intermediate step? Just reach out and say, 'Hello,' and ask if she's doing well. If she responds in a positive way, then fantastic. If she doesn't, you then have your answer.
In your situation, was it only one previous date? And then you bumped into her 3 years later?

Sure, it would be fine if OP bumps into this girl in real life, he can say Hi, ask her out, ask her to bear his children, whatever he wants to say.... It is completely different when you are reaching out online. And after only a brief, previous one time interaction.

They only had one date. And she had no more interest. Not talking about a previous longer term dating situation.

Old 12-29-2019, 08:34 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil_fields View Post
They only had one date. And she had no more interest. Not talking about a previous longer term dating situation.
Yep, and who knows if the "old flame" she was trying to reconnect with was real or just an excuse to not see the OP anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships