Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 12:10 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,541,693 times

Advertisements

They're common in lots of families. But in Hispanic families, fuggetaboutit!

- Don't walk around barefoot or you'll catch a cold.

- Don't deny a pregnant woman food, it's bad luck (boy, did I work my mom for that one....lol).

- Put a wet string on the forehead for hiccups.

- Agua de Florida on a wet towel to the forehead will break a fever.

- Hang a ring off a string and hold it over a pregnant woman's belly. If it swings side to side, it's a girl. Round and round, it's a boy.

Whatcha got?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 12:12 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,563,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
They're common in lots of families. But in Hispanic families, fuggetaboutit!

- Don't walk around barefoot or you'll catch a cold.

- Don't deny a pregnant woman food, it's bad luck (boy, did I work my mom for that one....lol).

- Put a wet string on the forehead for hiccups.

- Agua de Florida on a wet towel to the forehead will break a fever.

- Hang a ring off a string and hold it over a pregnant woman's belly. If it swings side to side, it's a girl. Round and round, it's a boy.

Whatcha got?
Ward the evil eye of illness by having someone wave an egg over your body. Then you crack it in a glass, let it sit in the room all night and throw it over the fence the next morning.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:13 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,660,682 times
Don`t go outside with a wet head...you will catch a cold.
If your palm itches, that means you will get money.
Don`t get into the shower or bath tub during a storm...you will get electricuted.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:27 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,147,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
Don`t go outside with a wet head...you will catch a cold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
Don't walk around barefoot or you'll catch a cold.
And you sure enough WILL if it's cold! That's something that's always baffled me in this county - the virus theories.. Why don't all of ya go walk barefoot with wet heads in Alaska far away from people (aka being exposed to viruses) and come back to report! Oh, wait... you're not gonna be able to come back and report! What would you like in lieu of flowers (if you don't like flowers)?

Old 02-15-2009, 10:16 PM

473 posts, read 760,609 times
Don't step over little kids...even adults for that matter. If you do, then step back over them right away, otherwise they won't grow.

Spit right after you give a compliment; you'll ward off the evil eye.

In order to bring good luck to all household members in the New Year, make sure the first person to enter the house is male, preferably young.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:24 AM

656 posts, read 2,742,212 times
Love this site A-Z on all Superstitions
Superstitions Old Wives Tales Beliefs & Misconceptions A-L
Its worth reading, I'm sure you havn't heard of them before. For example

Think of five or six names of boys or girls you might marry, As you twist the stem of an apple, recite the names until the stem comes off. You will marry the person whose name you were saying when the stem fell off. Hmmm lets start with names Ashley Judd , Julia Roberts ....

If you have 13 letters in your name, you will have the devil's luck . Jack the Ripper, Charles Manson, Jeffrey Dahmer, Theodore Bundy and Albert De Salvo all have 13 letters in their names
Why did I choose HairyandScary

Placing a bed facing north and south brings misfortune.
Explains why my life is the way it is

A swan's feather, sewed into the husband's pillow, will ensure fidelity. Problem solved ladies

If 3 people are photographed together, the one in the middle will die first. Won't be standing there again

The number of Xs in the palm of your right hand is the number of children you will have. I think I will need to buy a bigger house

Last edited by HairyandScary; 02-16-2009 at 01:30 AM..

Old 02-16-2009, 01:36 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,488,710 times
dont put shoes on a table or a bed---bad luck (that is something you would only do with the dead)
if you spill oil, its very bad luck---put salt on it right away (also eases cleanup)
itchy right hand means you will lose money, itchy left hand means you will be gaining money
dont walk around barefoot or your feet will be too large.

Old 02-16-2009, 01:43 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,400,633 times
some of those old wives were pretty sharp.

Old 02-16-2009, 03:46 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,468,357 times
Step on a crack, break ya Momma's back

-Devo

Old 02-16-2009, 08:16 AM

36 posts, read 185,922 times
Dont put your purse on the floor or you will go broke

Sweeping someone's feet can shorten their life or cause them to die

If you break a mirror, you will have seven years bad luck

Dont use your hands to make funny faces or your face will get stuck that way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships