Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 10:59 AM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times

Advertisements

I don't want them either and I particularly don't like them either. The bf and I are on the exact same page and we're totally fine with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 11:02 AM

838 posts, read 1,876,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
It is kind of a cult that often makes people behave in irrational ways:

1. How often do Liberals become Republicans after having kids - why? suddenly they don't care as much about others because they are what, afraid of the competition (to their kids), worried about money, too busy to give a crap?

2. How often do working mothers become slackers at work because their kids are their top priorities - I know there are exceptions, but working mothers are on the phone constantly due to their kids, they never stay late, they can't handle new responsibility. This is the main reason there aren't more female execs and politicians... not prejudice.

3. How often do guys who used to say they didn't want kids, give in and have them in deference to their wives. They abandon their values for love of their wife and the cult of child rearing.

4. How often do new parents turn on their lifelong values because of their kids - They all end up taking them to McDonalds, watching a ton of TV, forcing them into sports, buying an SUV, going to Chuck E. Cheese's, etal. Again, giving up their values after joining the cult.

5. Foreclosures - is there any doubt that the vast majority of the economy-ruining foreclosures are because couples thought they had to have the big 4 BR house in a good school district they couldn't afford? Again, irrational, reckless behavior due to having kids and the associated American Dream baggage (and pressure) that goes with it.

6. Fear - Being excessively fearful for a child's safety even when no threat is anywhere in sight... this is obviously irrational.

7. Letting themselves go - a relative of #4 - We all know parents who no longer care about their own interests and appearance. What would cause someone to do this? usually hard drugs or alcohol... or kids.

8. When unemployment is high, schools (hell everywhere) are crowded, the Earth is suffering, cost-of-living gets tighter, wars are underweigh, etc., why would people have kids when more are just not needed? Irrationality

This isn't 1948 anymore people, don't join the cult, it rarely makes sense.
I was going to respond to this drivel, but in the interest of time I'll just say.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:27 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Where is this "cult" that many speak of. Throughout my adult life I have yet to meet people that insist everyone have children. Of course I have heard, "do you have children" and "are you planning to have children" but most often I hear comments like "those two should never reproduce". I just dont understand the animosity between parents and childless couples.

Quote:
I love children, but if we continue with the population increase at the rate we're going, we'll be at roughly 25 billion by 2050. Right now we're at 7 and still overcrowded.
I was thinking about this reasoning for not having kids. You also must factor in longevity which can be particially attributed to advanace medical technology. So if we are worried about overpopulation, should we stop creating new life or should we stop prolonging existing life?

Old 02-25-2009, 12:21 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,855,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
How many of you in your 20's and early 30's posting about a child free life will change your minds. I'd say quite a few.
I can't disagree but the number is far less than the number who have kids and then realized they'd make a mistake. Besides, they still have time.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:30 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,855,839 times
Quote:

1. How often do Liberals become Republicans after having kids - why? suddenly they don't care as much about others because they are what, afraid of the competition (to their kids), worried about money, too busy to give a crap?

2. How often do working mothers become slackers at work because their kids are their top priorities - I know there are exceptions, but working mothers are on the phone constantly due to their kids, they never stay late, they can't handle new responsibility. This is the main reason there aren't more female execs and politicians... not prejudice.

3. How often do guys who used to say they didn't want kids, give in and have them in deference to their wives. They abandon their values for love of their wife and the cult of child rearing.

4. How often do new parents turn on their lifelong values because of their kids - They all end up taking them to McDonalds, watching a ton of TV, forcing them into sports, buying an SUV, going to Chuck E. Cheese's, etal. Again, giving up their values after joining the cult.

5. Foreclosures - is there any doubt that the vast majority of the economy-ruining foreclosures are because couples thought they had to have the big 4 BR house in a good school district they couldn't afford? Again, irrational, reckless behavior due to having kids and the associated American Dream baggage (and pressure) that goes with it.

6. Fear - Being excessively fearful for a child's safety even when no threat is anywhere in sight... this is obviously irrational.

7. Letting themselves go - a relative of #4 - We all know parents who no longer care about their own interests and appearance. What would cause someone to do this? usually hard drugs or alcohol... or kids.

8. When unemployment is high, schools (hell everywhere) are crowded, the Earth is suffering, cost-of-living gets tighter, wars are underweigh, etc., why would people have kids when more are just not needed? Irrationality

Some really good points here. (1, 2, 4, 5 & 6)

It tends to highlight one point I've noted. Those who realize the pitfalls of having kids and work hard and plan to deal with them are seldom able to have children anymore. Takes too long and its not considered "romantic".

The ones who don't plan, have, in the recent past, done it all on credit. We are seeing the end of this era. The result is now foreclosures, bankruptcy and the food bank.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:35 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,978,608 times
Quote:

Very good reply!

I would add...

9. How many times have someone who could have done some real good in the world had to of put that on hold because of the demands of having Children? Maybe I want to do volunteer work in Africa or something....imagine doing that with kids to take care of?

10. How many people who know they would be crappy parents end up having kids and, low and behold, turn out to be crappy parents? I mean, this is someone's life we're talking about her! I say, leave the parenting to people who can be good at it, because that ain't me.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:42 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,978,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
I love my crazy, harried life with my children, and wouldn't have it any other way. It baffles me when I see former classmates of mine now in their mid-thirties, with photos of themselves on Facebook at getting drunk at parties and with a different date every month. I can't imagine living my adult life like that!

In the same respect, maybe they feel sorry for me for being "burdened" with two children and a husband.

Do what floats your boat. In reality, while your family might care about your choices, the rest of the world really does not. No one is going to lose sleep over your decision to have or not have children. If you want to be totally unencumbered by the needs of another, then of course that is your choice, and I wish you well!

Now, I have nothing against someone with kids and, as I said, I like kids. However, I do not want to get drunk and put the picrures on facebook! As I said, I have maybe four drinks a week, tops, never get drunk, and am not a "player" in any sense of the word...

This is something so many people assume about child-free people: that we are all living a hedonistic lifestyle. I am the squarest fellow you will ever meet. Just because I don't want children of my own does not mean that I want to be a kid myself for the rest of my life.

Maybe I want to start a free mental health clinic after I (eventually) get a Phd. Imagine doing that with kids vs doing that without...which one will be easier?

Old 02-28-2009, 12:07 PM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Where is this "cult" that many speak of. Throughout my adult life I have yet to meet people that insist everyone have children. Of course I have heard, "do you have children" and "are you planning to have children" but most often I hear comments like "those two should never reproduce". I just dont understand the animosity between parents and childless couples.
I totally agree. I know SO many people that should never EVER reproduce. I'd never ever try to talk them into it. Yeeesh.

Old 02-28-2009, 12:25 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
I love my crazy, harried life with my children, and wouldn't have it any other way. It baffles me when I see former classmates of mine now in their mid-thirties, with photos of themselves on Facebook at getting drunk at parties and with a different date every month. I can't imagine living my adult life like that!

In the same respect, maybe they feel sorry for me for being "burdened" with two children and a husband.

Do what floats your boat. In reality, while your family might care about your choices, the rest of the world really does not. No one is going to lose sleep over your decision to have or not have children. If you want to be totally unencumbered by the needs of another, then of course that is your choice, and I wish you well!
So I guess that means EVERYONE in their mid thirties without kids is just on Facebook posting pics of themselves getting drunk at parties with a different date every month?

I hope in my mid thirties I will have already traveled to a few different countries, have about three or four degrees, and I hope I'm in a stable loving relationship.

Old 02-28-2009, 12:29 PM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
So I guess that means EVERYONE in their mid thirties without kids is just on Facebook posting pics of themselves getting drunk at parties with a different date every month?

I hope in my mid thirties I will have already traveled to a few different countries, have about three or four degrees, and I hope I'm in a stable loving relationship.
Well I did that part and I highly recommend it!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships