Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 11:30 AM

720 posts, read 1,409,349 times

Advertisements

Being a single mother myself, I would not throw my child into the mix until much later on. I feel like if my child got attached and then things didn't work out, it would be confusing and hard on the child. It's better to wait until you know this guy is going to be around long term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 11:37 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,658,216 times
I would think that a responsible parent wouldn't introduce their child to the person they're dating until they think the child is ready. Maybe he's ready, but it's not about him. It's about the child.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:11 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,825,386 times
What if it's teenage children? Would you all feel differently?

Old 02-27-2009, 03:16 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,527,528 times
i think that the guy you got rid of is the dad, and that the parts are not interchangable. its a one shot deal. kids, if being raised right, should be out of the house at 18. then you are back on your own. if you decide to be a permaparent, the current trend, that is how long you got b4 you are off the hook and start dating. the rest is utter confusion which is passed on to the next generation.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:23 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,487,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
No. Teenage children need to come first in their parents' lives too.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:27 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,487,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i think that the guy you got rid of is the dad, and that the parts are not interchangable. its a one shot deal. kids, if being raised right, should be out of the house at 18. then you are back on your own. if you decide to be a permaparent, the current trend, that is how long you got b4 you are off the hook and start dating. the rest is utter confusion which is passed on to the next generation.
A parent is always a parent. It doesn't end when the child turns 18. Once the kids are grown (I don't mean midnight on the kid's 18th birthday here...I mean at least out of HS and maybe even out of college), BF/GF relationships become more acceptable and can come first in your life. You aren't completely "off the hook" though. I've seen several situations where parents of adult kids have BF's/GF's who don't want the parent to be a part of the child's life at all. That's not ok.

Once your kids are grown, if your BF/GF does not want your child to be an APPROPRIATE part of your life and wants nothing to do with the kid, even then the relationship is not worth it. Husband/wife and parent/child relationships are the two most important...they are both at least SUPPOSED to be life-long. Even if your kid is 30, you should not choose someone OVER your kid. IN ADDITION to sure. But not instead of.

And, really, I don't get your word permaparent. A parent is forever. Kids should be out of the house shortly after 18. But the relationship should not be over and no BF/GF is worth completely ending a relationship with your CHILD.

Also, I should add, this doesn't mean before your kids are grown you CAN'T have a BF/GF. You just have to put your kids first. I'm not even saying put up with your kids saying you can't have one. What I'm saying is to ensure that it does not effect your relationship with your child....this applies (with whatever is an appropriate relationship considering the age of your child) whether the child is 4, 8, 16, 18, or 40.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 02-27-2009 at 03:37 PM..

Old 02-27-2009, 03:31 PM

52,350 posts, read 52,821,277 times
JMHO but I don't think the kids should meet the gf/bf until they know that they are a keeper.

FWIW.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:39 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,705,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinamalia702 View Post
Dating probably wasn't the correct word to use.............they have been exclusive for 2-3 months now after dating for a couple of months so technically they've been in each others lives for about 5-6 months.

I think it's time for her to at least meet them in a public place. The actual girl says it should have already happened and my other crazy friend lol says it's still too early. Of course I think there is more to his story and that's why he's not ready for that. I mean she hasn't been to his house either. Ok, I'll leave that alone because that's a whole differnt thread.
Kina, it actually does not matter how you or anyone, or even your friend, defines the relationship. What's important is that he, the guy she's dating and the FATHER of his own children, is the final decision maker of how to protect his own children. If she's mature enough to handle dating a father with kids, she should understand that NO MATTER what, his children come BEFORE her.

So, 3 months of "being exclusive" is not the same of 3 years being exclusive. So, as a woman, she should ask herself, "why do I want to meet his kids that badly?" The kids already have their own mother, as well as grandma's, and other family relatives. Unless she's ready to take on the "baggages" of being the woman that is about to enter into a whole new family with kids, she should stay out of seeing the kids, or maybe, stay away from him.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:27 PM

421 posts, read 2,536,023 times
I don't date women who have children. And in the area I live most of the single women I see have children, so I guess that means I don't date much. I'm just not interested in dating someone with children because they children get in the way. And most of the women that have children, those the same women that didn't want to date me before when they were single, and yet all of a sudden now they find me attractive? Let me see if I can hit the nail directly on the head, the other guy gets to have sex with you and then I have to take care of you and your child afterwards? Funny, when I was a nobody, not even in graduate school, no one wanted to date me, but now that I'm out of dental school and done with residency I'm all of a sudden date-worthy? Too late sweetheart, you're a day late and a dollar short! And don't get me wrong, I've dated a few women before, but the ones I wanted to date, those are the ones that stood me up. Yep, you know the type, the ones that hung out with the cool guys from high school, the ones that hung out down by the river and wanted to hang out with the cool guys and drink beer all night long. Yep, those are the same women that got knocked up, have one or two children, uneducated, and to top things off that cool guy, you remember him right?, he doesn't pay child support, doesn't work or works a dead-end job, or he's no where to be found. Funny, when your back is up against the wall what some women will do. No thanks, I'll stay single. You think I want to deal with custody weekends, having to deal with the father coming around wondering who's messing around with his son's mother? Forget that!

Old 02-27-2009, 08:32 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,129,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Obviously, the older the child is, the better they can handle their parent's relationships, but a responsible parent is still careful. I would be very wary of someone who insisted on meeting my kids so early.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships