Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 02:36 PM

3 posts, read 2,846 times

Advertisements

My story is a bit long but I want to hear any suggestion, and I thank you for your time.

Backgrounds first. I'm 32 and my wife 33, we had our 6th marriage anniversary last month. We don't have a child, and has been planning one since 15 months ago.

Before marriage, I'm NOT aware that she's a smoker with 16 years history, at least 2-4 cigarettes daily(as I know). We spent long time together and travel to know each, but she covered it, otherwise, the marriage is on a shaken ground. Because I feel cigarettes is disgust, and I physiologically feel very sick when I smell it(she knew it).

6 months after we married, I suspect she is a smoker(found by accident). I didn't pay attention untill 9 months later I caught her smoking at home. I was angry, disappointed, and nagged her to quit, she agreed. And I found it's an endless war.

Kept finding smells from her mouth, hands, hair, and clothes. I caught her smoking on birthday of my 30, ruined it. 2008, she got caught by airport security that hiding a lighter in that day I'll remember my whole life, and vacation ruined.

15 months ago, we decided to have a child. She agreed she will stop smoking immediately and until after the birth of the child, she appeared to be very positive and decided. And then I found it's a lie as always.

No doubt I lost all affections immediately I smell breath from her lung and see the yellow collor on the innerside of her. I simply lost interest.

I begin to avoid the truth and think that some miracles may come. Meantime, I'm getting more suspicious. We had a talk, I required her to take treatment(nagged her many times) OR I want a DIVORCE, and she agreed to take treatment, and we went to hospital to take some evaluations and advises. She insisted that she can control herself as she's a light smoker, and of course in China, a light smoker doesn't get attention from doctor. That day after, her strategy changed. she smokes in fire passage before go to work, or other go-outs, she takes every opportunity to get her "happiness" in fire passage.

But I know that, because one day I searched her bag and found she still carries cigarettes and lighter(Yes, I feel guilty for that). Then I began to follow her(I'm self-employed since 2010) to fire passage to count how many she smoked, and for 2 weeks, I collected those butts(she smokes same brand only popular in her city) though I don't know what for. And I wrote down how many butts I saw in my diary.

I quickly stopped doing so, because it's ill. But I'm deeply depressed and anxiety, and can't focus on things. It's getting worse recently, and DIVORCE once again emerged into my mind, and this time is real.

I know it's addictive, I just can't believe someone willing to risk damage her own health, her marriage and her whole life. I fulfilled every promise I made and all obligations I swore by my marriage oath, and she simply don't want to quit smoking for our love and our child, not even a try.

I'm not implying I'm the only contributor of the family. But I did so many for her, in all ways. Braced the financial impact when she got 10% salary-cut during 2008, and supported her MBA programme(cost more than 2 years her after-tax incomes) in the same year. In comparison, I delayed my MBA plan for cost reason since 2005 while my career future is very promising and continuously progressing.

I planned every detail of a 2-weeks vacation during 2008 particularly for her parents, and carried it out, because she thought it's a way to thank her parents, and I promised earlier.

In 2009, we bought our own apartment, with beautiful view in downtown(worth 350,000 USD, mainly depends on my incomes and investments). You know it's not easy, and think about do it in China.

In 2010, take her parents to live with us for 2 months to show gratefulness to them again, which I promised before.(Surely it's not convenient)

Except the smoking and her 6 years lies, I still feel very close to her, we share similar oppinions toward many things, I precious moments spent with her. BUT now I feel I'm a TOTAL LOSER, and she manipulates me.

And the rationality and my knowledge told me, smoking is addictive as Heroin, and this war fought for 6 years WILL last for another 6 years and possibly more. I see there is NO future.

You may say try the medicines. I know nicotine patches, gums, and Chantix very well, because I call the hotlines, but it won't take effect if she don't try it. And I don't want to nagged her anymore, it's her personal decision.

I want my life back, normal one. But unlike investment that you can cut the loss. It's real life, it's difficult. And I fear that my emotion blind me from other alternatives that can bring some true miracle.

So, any suggestion please say to me, I want to hear. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 02:40 PM

11,398 posts, read 24,473,730 times
I think you're overreacting. Sure it's a addictive and unhealthy, but your obsession over it is a bit bizarre. Stop spying on her.

Old 04-13-2016, 02:43 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,227,954 times
It's cigarettes not crack. Heck it's not even like a SERIOUS smoking habit at 2-4 cigarettes a day.

I smoked for years, there is no quitting until she wants to and nothing you can say or do will change that. So, if you can't deal with it you have to make that choice.

Old 04-13-2016, 02:43 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,461,630 times
Your issue has less to do with smoking and all to do with trust and respect.

If you do not respect her as a person, I'm not sure what to really tell you.
It should speak for itself

Old 04-13-2016, 02:47 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,456,628 times
This is so twisted I can't even begin to formulate an answer.

Dude, seek help. Seriously.

Old 04-13-2016, 02:48 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,642,155 times
Are you seriously talking potential divorce over her smoking cigarettes?

That's about the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

Til Cigarette smoking does us part.. Vows mean nothing to people anymore. Maybe be more mature and grow a pair. Be thankful she's still with you.

Old 04-13-2016, 02:50 PM

29,755 posts, read 34,434,332 times
Obsessive stalking aside, I'm trying to understand how you can not notice that someone is a smoker for years.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 04-13-2016 at 03:18 PM..

Old 04-13-2016, 02:50 PM

454 posts, read 311,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
Are you seriously talking potential divorce over her smoking cigarettes?

That's about the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

Til Cigarette smoking does us part.. Vows mean nothing to people anymore. Maybe be more mature and grow a pair. Be thankful she's still with you.
+1. I mean, seriously?! The OP is divorcing over cigs? Come on!!!

Old 04-13-2016, 02:54 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,188,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I'm trying to understand how you can not notice that someone is a smoker for years.
That's what I can't get past. I hate cigarette smoke. HATE IT. I would never date a smoker in the first place. And how could you not tell for years?

Old 04-13-2016, 02:57 PM

2,912 posts, read 2,446,180 times
I think you're being a tad dramatic, and I do find it hard to believe you didn't know about this. With that said, I personally would never be with a smoker, even if it was only a few a day. That's an absolute no-go for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships