Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 05:28 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,832,058 times

Advertisements

I have to fly home for a few days and I have been away for a year and three months. I am having concerns that I may run into my ex or that I will get the urge to contact him, because of remembering some of the good times we did have. The area I am going to is relatively small.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 05:33 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,679,388 times
Do not contact him! No matter how many good times you had - abuse is not something you should forgive or forget. You'd be setting yourself up for additional pain and suffering. If you can, find a trusted friend or relative to hang out with in during your visit, so you won't be alone. You may need the support. Best wishes.

Old 03-19-2009, 05:36 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,010,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsywoman View Post
I have to fly home for a few days and I have been away for a year and three months. I am having concerns that I may run into my ex or that I will get the urge to contact him....
I knew what I was going to say til I got to the bolded part. Best of luck to you.

Old 03-19-2009, 05:37 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,551,567 times
Just say no.

Old 03-19-2009, 05:38 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,764,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsywoman View Post
I have to fly home for a few days and I have been away for a year and three months. I am having concerns that I may run into my ex or that I will get the urge to contact him, because of remembering some of the good times we did have. The area I am going to is relatively small.
If he abused you, doesn't that kind of wipe away any good memories there might have ever been? I think it would for me...

Old 03-19-2009, 06:10 PM

1,691 posts, read 3,852,301 times
If you still have the urge to talk to him then you haven't learned your lesson yet. I hate to sound mean but it is the way I feel.
In another thread about abuse I stated my sister is paraplegic due to her ex-husband. She can't feel thing one from waist down. Everytime you get the urge to see him or talk to him remember this rule... no matter how he has changed to the rest of the world the truth is YOU will ALWAYS be his punching bag. My sister thought her husband had changed too and went back/let him back in, 3 back surgeries to fix her spine and she lives her life on narcotics for the pain and she still hurts.
don't think it won't happen to you because you changed and he might have changed.... it rarely works out that way. Normally it gets much worse the second time around.
Food for thought.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:49 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,213,545 times
Sit down, be honest and make a list the good and the bad. Too many times we do tend to remember just the good times or down play the bad times. The list will remind you of why you left.

He hasn't changed and if you contact him he will think you really didn't mind being a punching bag. If he hit you once, he will hit you again.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:53 PM

403 posts, read 1,564,249 times
You are better than that. Don't go there.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:23 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,409,374 times
He's not worthy of your consideration for even a moment as he lost that right the first time he lashed out at you. Why let a pattern begin anew when you have broken with the past and his influence? There are too many more positive people in your life, I'm sure, for whom you can have feelings that are worthy of your time.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:32 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,259,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Sit down, be honest and make a list the good and the bad. Too many times we do tend to remember just the good times or down play the bad times. The list will remind you of why you left.

He hasn't changed and if you contact him he will think you really didn't mind being a punching bag. If he hit you once, he will hit you again.
And keep the list with her in case she runs into him inadvertently...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships