Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 11:41 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,798,260 times

Advertisements

Hahahaha. Mean People Sux.

You go TT

Old 03-31-2009, 12:22 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
For the most part from what I have seen, people are respectful even when threads have got combative. I don't think in most instances long time posters are "mean".

The threads that get messy are the OP's that post a topic and then expect or even demand others to rationalize their poor behavior or stupidity. Don't ask advice if you can't take the plethora of responses that will arise.

Probably the other type of threads that raise peoples ire are obvious trolling threads to incite and inflame.

And lastly would be the OP's that come back for more, usually the women with the same dysfunctional relationship with the same old boyfriend. People give advice, OP continues doing the same thing, comes back to the forum for more and more and more, and others just get tired of that tripe clogging up the forum. Obviously they are either really dumb or mental and need professional help so please leave us alone.

Old 03-31-2009, 03:48 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,338,885 times
Yup, there are some really bitter characters ( I know who you are, yes, you! ) that have nothing positive to say and contribute.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:15 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,868,386 times
Default Old Timers & Mean People on this site

Hey, Hey, Hey...easy with that old timers stuff...I am one of them. I am 61 years old and do not consider myself mean. I too have seen some of the rather abrupt responses to some of the "love" questions on here. No it is not right but let me clue your young mind in a little.

A lot of us "old timers" (ooooh that smarts), have run the gauntlet with regard to relationships and sometimes the questions you "young whippersnappers" ask, well the answers are as plain as the nose on your face only you may be too in love to see them. That's ok...don't forget we were young once too so we know how blind love can be. Me?? I don't get quite so frustrated as some other "old timers" might...(Now I am getting beaten down with that "old timers" stuff").

In all honesty...if you find yourself in a relationship that is not good and your partner is doing something that hurts you, frustrates you, angers you can I ask how long you would plan to stay and take it for the sake of love? How much do you love yourself? Do you love yourself enough to do the right thing or are you going to get back into it to only hang on to someone who doesn't want you in the first place? Now, this may not be your "scenario" but it has been others "scenarios" on here and it can be frustrating. What you YOUNGSTERS do with your love life after the advice is given is your business but don't come down on us "Old Timers"....(oooh my heart, my heart....) because some of us tell you the truth.

As far as the (Ugh...here it comes again) "old timers" who are nasty...ignore those posts...don't read them...I don't know. I wouldn't let that ruin your life, that's for sure. In the meantime, learn a little more tolerance for people of all personalities.

Now, I am picking up my cane, holding my back and am hobbling off to get more coffee...sigh.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:58 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,679,366 times
If I was having serious problems with some relationship I would want someone to play the devils advocate, give me the bad medicine, tell it like it is, and so forth because when I sit down face to face with someone over coffee I know they are going to stroke me and tell me "it's going to be alright" and sometimes things aren't going to be alright. I personally would want someone in an anonymous forum to come down hard on me. but then again thrifylefty is a robot.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:04 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,487,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinamalia702 View Post
Why is it that when someone posts something on here asking a question or questions about their love life or life in general that you folks find it necessary to belittle them? I mean do you get satisfaction out of that? Does it make you feel better about yourself? People like me have come here because their looking for guidance, another opinion or maybe just to vent. I mean seriously didn't your parents teach you anything.............I was always told that if I didn't have anything nice to say than don't say anything at all.

What's the deal???? I know I'm not the only person who feels this way. I know this isn't nice but neither are you.........and you know who you are!!
Whats wrong? Didnt get the answer you wanted to hear?

Old 03-31-2009, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I have to agree --- you are the shiznit!!!
LOVE that word Twinkle Toes...what is a SHIZNIT?? LOL Is it like a "BUMBLESTUMP"? I have a friend in Maine who can string out the worse line of foul words I have ever seen and when she is through, I am laughing so hard I am crying. Gotta love it!

Old 03-31-2009, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cat View Post
Yup, there are some really bitter characters ( I know who you are, yes, you! ) that have nothing positive to say and contribute.
Hey Mr. Cat....don't let the mean spirited folks on here get to you..it is just another person's opinion and opinions flow freely from all kinds of people and in the long run...it is YOU who gets to choose the ones you will listen to..others don't matter. You have too much on your plate right now to worry about this stuff. Yup, I remember you....

Old 03-31-2009, 06:19 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
There can be a lot of factors.

Also, I have had some fairly strong disagreements here with people whose opinions I hold in high regard....and even admit that at times they were right after all.

That being said, the forum is anonymous so you get blunter responses than we are generally used to getting in real life. This can be good and bad.

Lastly, written communication is inherently difficult and it's easy to miss sarcasm or a joking mood etc. I know I don't always act the way that I would like to all the time, so I try to remember that. All said, I think I've only had one run-in here ever...and the easiest thing to do is just block them\ignore posts etc.

Welcome to the forum.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:02 AM

2,919 posts, read 6,829,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
There can be a lot of factors.

Also, I have had some fairly strong disagreements here with people whose opinions I hold in high regard....and even admit that at times they were right after all.

That being said, the forum is anonymous so you get blunter responses than we are generally used to getting in real life. This can be good and bad.

Lastly, written communication is inherently difficult and it's easy to miss sarcasm or a joking mood etc. I know I don't always act the way that I would like to all the time, so I try to remember that. All said, I think I've only had one run-in here ever...and the easiest thing to do is just block them\ignore posts etc.

Welcome to the forum.
And on that VERY excellent note, we are going to close this thread before it gets any more personal than it already has...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships