Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 10:38 AM

2,625 posts, read 11,228,748 times

Advertisements

Do you still try to keep yourself looking good to impress your s/o, or have you given up, and figured, "ooh what the hell, we going to die togiether, i have nobody to impress"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 10:42 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,229,426 times
I think my motivation is more to look and mainly feel healthy and good about myself. But I definitely make even more of an effort because I want him to still find me sexy and attractive.

I still want to impress him AND myself.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:53 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,266,876 times
I wouldn't call it "pressure," but yeah, I try to look decent for my wife. On our days off, I'll get up and take a shower and shave, etc., while the coffee's brewing, then go back to bed smelling all pretty and stuff. And some days I'll kick around in my home office or work in the yard or garage, then take the shower and shave before my wife gets home from work. I want to at least look kissable when she walks through the door.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:05 AM

1,116 posts, read 2,967,154 times
Yeah, I do. He thinks I'm hot stuff when I roll out of bed in the morning, so I feel like I owe it to him to doll myself up just because he doesn't need me to. He likes me just the way I am, so I should be courteous enough to take the extra effort.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:05 AM

395 posts, read 1,287,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVOW View Post
Do you still try to keep yourself looking good to impress your s/o, or have you given up, and figured, "ooh what the hell, we going to die togiether, i have nobody to impress"?
I actually do take care of how I look and dress up just for him during the weekends. Not really a pressure...but I guess its for both of us that I try to look/feel good.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:12 AM

1,462 posts, read 4,873,392 times
Default Do you feel lpressure to look good for your SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVOW View Post
Times surely have changed with regard to this....I see it in the grocery stores, walking down the streets and everywhere. Women who run around in those dang pajama things with their hair up in a barrett looking like they just got up. NOW...I ask you...who in their right mind goes out in public in FREAKIN' PAJAMAS??? I do keep myself up but only because I would not want anyone to see me with no makeup and pajamas on..good grief. I feel better when I am put together properly...it has nothing to do with my husband because he simply doesn't care one way or the other...although he would have a COW if I were to go out in P.J.'s.

It isn't just older women with S.O's who are going out in public looking nasty...younger women are doing this as well. Last weekend, my husband and I were on our way to pick our car up at the dealership. We saw a group of young teen girls walking all of them barefoot and all of them with these huge t-shirts on that covered the shorts they were obviously wearing...looked like they were all out in big nightshirts. Either their parents were not at home when they took off like this or their parents didn't care. Unreal.
'

Old 04-01-2009, 11:51 AM

10,180 posts, read 20,811,916 times
I maintain appearances for myself. For one thing, people treat you differently by your appearance. If I'm out and about in shorts and a tee I notice the difference as opposed to being all duded up in a suit. Not that I walk around dressed to impress all the time, but wear some clean clothes that fit you well, run an iron over them, and practice some grooming, and it will go a long way.

You also have to consider how much better someone esle is going to start looking to your S.O. if you choose to let yourself go. If your S.O. is keeping up appearances, you should at least do the best you can for them as well. Otherwise don't gripe when their eyes start to wander.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:56 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,233,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connecticut Pam View Post
Times surely have changed with regard to this....I see it in the grocery stores, walking down the streets and everywhere. Women who run around in those dang pajama things with their hair up in a barrett looking like they just got up. NOW...I ask you...who in their right mind goes out in public in FREAKIN' PAJAMAS??? I do keep myself up but only because I would not want anyone to see me with no makeup and pajamas on..good grief. I feel better when I am put together properly...it has nothing to do with my husband because he simply doesn't care one way or the other...although he would have a COW if I were to go out in P.J.'s.

It isn't just older women with S.O's who are going out in public looking nasty...younger women are doing this as well. Last weekend, my husband and I were on our way to pick our car up at the dealership. We saw a group of young teen girls walking all of them barefoot and all of them with these huge t-shirts on that covered the shorts they were obviously wearing...looked like they were all out in big nightshirts. Either their parents were not at home when they took off like this or their parents didn't care. Unreal.
'
You know, you're absolutely right. It seems like a lot of people, men and women, think that the wedding ceremony is the freaking finish line. After that, they can wolf down Cheetohs, not exercise, and dress like a slob.

By this, I'm not saying we're supposed to look like fitness freaks or models. Far from it. But if you don't respect yourself and your spouse to look moderately desireable, then don't be surprised when he or she goes wandering.

Just the other night, my wife was having her girls' night and several of her friends mentioned that I was attractive. She just thought that was great.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:59 AM

78,645 posts, read 60,839,402 times
Yes. Absolutely.

Especially because if you aren't deep into a relationship it's quite possible you will be back out into the dating world eventually which, let's face it, puts a premium on looks.

Actually, current gf has taken up exercise again because I'm always working out and she says she doesn't want me getting hotter than her.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:02 PM

1,776 posts, read 4,007,574 times
I don't feel pressure to look good for her. I do it for myself. She benefits from it; my hope is that it motivates her to do the same. I've noticed some changes she's made since we've been together, so it's working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships