Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 02:46 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,934,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
Why is it okay to steal from a corporation, but not an individual? People think of businesses as some vague entity. The more people blow off debts like this, the more those companies have to lay off employees. This DOES affect real people at the end of the day.

Oh... because don't you know, big corporations (no matter how small they were when they started out) are the evil empire of today's society! Godforbid some "little man" starts his business small and grows bigger than he'd ever dreamed it could and before he knows it, he's a corporation... he'll go from everyone cheerin' him on to make it to being the "evilness" that is America.

'Cuz, as I'm sure you know... everyone's pressured daily into charging everything. It's not our own fault we don't pay cash for anything. It's Visa and Mastercards fault for allowing credit to be so readily available! If they didn't want people reneging on debts, they shouldn't have made it so easy to charge!

Hope you could detect the utter sarcasm in that.

Last edited by canibeyou; 04-03-2009 at 02:47 PM.. Reason: still kant tipe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 05:10 PM

1,243 posts, read 2,688,304 times
if he chooses to pay none of the money will go to pay that original debt. That paper was bought dirt cheap by a 'debt buyer' it will go to the collector and the collection agency. If he feels some remorse give the amount of settlement offer to a charity. This won't affect his credit in the least positively or negatively. And he can't be sued or anything else.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:21 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,358,756 times
Why should he pay it now? After 15 years? If it hasnt hurt him by now it wont. Big Business rips ppl off all the time...hell that is why the economy is down the drain now...Who knows the situation as to why he owed the debt and never paid it back. But whats said is done and over with already. He is no worse than the rest of the theives that we all work for. All of Big business are thieves. They skim as much off the top as possible and still make you pay top $$ for it. Are they worrying about that...is AIG worrying about the jobs being laid off while they top dogs are still getting their millions in bonuses?...H.T.T.N.!!!! So forget about your brothers debt......And for you to question his character there must be more reasons than a 15 year $450 CC debt

Old 04-03-2009, 05:30 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,253,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YBF View Post
Why should he pay it now? After 15 years? If it hasnt hurt him by now it wont. Big Business rips ppl off all the time...hell that is why the economy is down the drain now...Who knows the situation as to why he owed the debt and never paid it back. But whats said is done and over with already. He is no worse than the rest of the theives that we all work for. All of Big business are thieves. They skim as much off the top as possible and still make you pay top $$ for it. Are they worrying about that...is AIG worrying about the jobs being laid off while they top dogs are still getting their millions in bonuses?...H.T.T.N.!!!! So forget about your brothers debt......And for you to question his character there must be more reasons than a 15 year $450 CC debt
Perfect example why the economy is in the situation...no sense of owning ones debts...

Old 04-03-2009, 09:56 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,303,143 times
It will come back to him one way or the other. Chances are he has, or will, carry the nonchalant attitude with other debts and responsibilities. It is a matter of DOING THE RIGHT THING. I'm just glad that you didn't attempt to bail him out. So many people enable their loved ones anymore and it rarely pays off.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Perfect example why the economy is in the situation...no sense of owning ones debts...
Thank you, Mrs. Stewart!

Those big corporations started out small... so they were once a Mom & Pop type place, the kind of place I'd hope you wouldn't feel like ripping off. And just because they grew bigger doesn't make it any more right to rip 'em off either.

If he just HAD to have something (or his girlfriend did... or whoever he wants to place the blame on besides himself) and he couldn't pay for it with cash (foreign word to most these days) than he owes for that. Not to mention the fact that the merchant he bought something from was never paid for their stuff... so they had to raise the price of other things to cover never getting paid by him. So, really, in the end.. you probably paid for his stuff (let's pretend he bought $450 worth of stuff from a store you shop at). If you're fine with buying everything for people who don't feel they should pay for stuff they want...

If everyone thought along the lines of "It's been long enough, don't pay it back", than there would be no lines of credit for anyone (meaning no companies willing to loan money, which is what credit card companies do) and I'd be willing to bet big money a lot of you wouldn't own half the stuff you do now.

Credit is simply making a promise to someone to pay them later for something you want now. I lose respect for people that don't honor their promises... no matter how many years have gone by. And it doesn't matter who gets what part of the debt owed in the end. The point is, honoring your word.

In life, ya get what ya give.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:51 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times
He should at least pay the $290 just to get it "off the books". It is his attitude, and attitudes like it, that is fueling the economic problems this country is having right now* - even if it was 15 years ago. I don't recall anything in a credit card contract I have ever seen that if a girlfriend makes the charge, then the cardholder is off the hook.

*Already stated by others but worth repeating...

Old 04-03-2009, 11:57 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,144,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canibeyou View Post
Godforbid some "little man" starts his business small and grows bigger than he'd ever dreamed it could and before he knows it, he's a corporation... he'll go from everyone cheerin' him on to make it to being the "evilness" that is America.
That's because the "little man" very likely stepped on a lot of people to become the MAN and also probably sold his soul in the process.

Anyway, I think her bro should pay up. I think it's a matter of integrity, even though I am no fan of big corps.

Old 04-04-2009, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
That's because the "little man" very likely stepped on a lot of people to become the MAN and also probably sold his soul in the process.
Are you saying that cause you know this to be a fact or simply because, say the owner of Visa has more money than you and that's "not nice/fair"?

Last time I looked, no one was holding a gun to anyone's head demanding they pay for things by credit (loan). It's a choice individuals make. I don't hold it against anyone for coming up with a get rich idea (such as loaning money to people).

Many people have started out small and grown into big corporations w/o any nasty, illegal activity. But a lot of people think, because the owner of a corporation already has millions, than he should leave the "little man" who's owed them $450 for 15 years, alone.

When in fact, the truth is, no one forced this person to use a credit card, it was a choice he made all on his own (not buyin' the girlfriend story, but than again, I don't go around blaming others for my problems) and if he really wanted something he should have waited until he could afford it and paid cash and not have this problem 15 years later.

If more people paid cash for things, maybe there wouldn't be a corporation to beat up on. Maybe the owner of Visa would be just another regular Joe out lookin' for a job 'cuz no one's interested in borrowing money from him anymore.

Old 04-04-2009, 12:48 AM

3,467 posts, read 8,144,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canibeyou View Post
Are you saying that cause you know this to be a fact or simply because, say the owner of Visa has more money than you and that's "not nice/fair"?

Last time I looked, no one was holding a gun to anyone's head demanding they pay for things by credit (loan). It's a choice individuals make. I don't hold it against anyone for coming up with a get rich idea (such as loaning money to people).

Many people have started out small and grown into big corporations w/o any nasty, illegal activity. But a lot of people think, because the owner of a corporation already has millions, than he should leave the "little man" who's owed them $450 for 15 years, alone.

When in fact, the truth is, no one forced this person to use a credit card, it was a choice he made all on his own (not buyin' the girlfriend story, but than again, I don't go around blaming others for my problems) and if he really wanted something he should have waited until he could afford it and paid cash and not have this problem 15 years later.

If more people paid cash for things, maybe there wouldn't be a corporation to beat up on. Maybe the owner of Visa would be just another regular Joe out lookin' for a job 'cuz no one's interested in borrowing money from him anymore.
There is no one owner to Visa.

I agree using a credit card is a choice. I didn't say there was any excuse to not pay (did you READ my whole post?).

However, observation and reading has shown me that large corporations often have selfish, ruthless & dishonest people on top. I think that is why people do not feel sorry for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships