Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 08:07 AM

1,117 posts, read 1,995,484 times

Advertisements

When we were dating, my husband and I were having a conversation about his alley-catting ways when he was in high school and college (meaning how he lived to "score" with as many women as he could, no matter how little he cared about them emotionally).

But being so obviously different today, with a profound respect and admiration for women, I asked him when he changed his attitude?

He answered, "After my daughters were born." I then asked, "And why was that?". He answered, "I realized that women are people too."

My point in posting this is that I see a lot of threads coming up about rating women's body parts and physical attributes. And I have to ask everybody here (men and women) if you truly think this is an okay thing to do? To dissect womens' bodies and categorize and idealize what is and is not attractive and/or acceptable in women, is degrading and demoralizing.

I know it's all in fun, and I doubt that most of you mean any harm. But regardless of intent, it IS disparaging toward women.

And it's funny because I am the first person to jump into a thread and condemn gay sex, smoking and illegal immigration (some of my biggest passions), but let's face it...these are issues that are genuine societal conflicts right now, so healthy debate about these issues is necessary in order to come to some sort of resolution, or at least some sort of concensus.

But is it really necessary to debate the ideal height of a woman, or the ideal size of her breasts, or color of her hair, or size of her butt?? I mean, is this a genuine issue that needs some sort of resolution for the benefit of society? Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying it's wrong to have personal opinions about women's bodies; rather, I'm saying that to start actual polls to rate and discuss women's physical attributes is unncessary and demeaning.

Think about this. And feel free to jump in here and either support me or bash me good and let me have it. I welcome both types of responses. It's always good to subject ourselves to possible enlightenment by others.

And to the mods...this is not a trolling thread. I am not trying to stir up trouble. I'm just trying to start an insightful debate that might end up in doing some good.

Last edited by FormerCaliforniaGirl; 04-05-2009 at 08:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 08:20 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,720,278 times
I do have something to say about this, but this domesticated lady has to get to the grocery store. I'll post it later, OK?

Old 04-05-2009, 02:11 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,191,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
My point in posting this is that I see a lot of threads coming up about rating women's body parts and physical attributes. And I have to ask everybody here (men and women) if you truly think this is an okay thing to do? To dissect womens' bodies and categorize and idealize what is and is not attractive and/or acceptable in women, is degrading and demoralizing.

And it's funny because I am the first person to jump into a thread and condemn gay sex, smoking and illegal immigration (some of my biggest passions)
Oh, you just took the words from my fingers! Well, maybe my passion is to condemn ugly women... since we're all soooo "passionate"... It's hardly funny, though. Self-righteous zealots are never funny.

Old 04-05-2009, 02:22 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,015,743 times
Oh, I agree. I was FUMING during the presidential campaigns at how Hillary's body parts were constantly being dissected, grrrr. Sheesh, the Washington Post actually had an article (and photos) discussing how much cleavage she was showing/should show! The sexism was so depressing that I wonder if we'll EVER have a female president!

Old 04-05-2009, 02:23 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,015,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I do have something to say about this, but this domesticated lady has to get to the grocery store. I'll post it later, OK?
Oh, but won't you be cooking and ironing for your man later?

Old 04-05-2009, 02:23 PM

371 posts, read 894,849 times
Ok,so two Mexican women slip over the border,have sex,then smoke a cigarette afterwards.

Where do you stand on that?

Old 04-05-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz View Post
Ok,so two Mexican women slip over the border,have sex,then smoke a cigarette afterwards.

Where do you stand on that?
Oh, I'm sorry. I know this was meant to insult me, but I just had to laugh. Thanks for the chuckle.

Old 04-05-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Oh, you just took the words from my fingers! Well, maybe my passion is to condemn ugly women... since we're all soooo "passionate"... It's hardly funny, though. Self-righteous zealots are never funny.
It's odd that you view me as a self-righteous zealot. I think the reality is that I intimidate you because I'm not the least bit hesitant to put people like you in your place. I did it in the smoking thread, and so now in this thread you're grasping at any opportunity to lash back at me. You really have nothing constructive to add here other than to insult me. Guess I'm strikng a few nerves in you.

Old 04-05-2009, 02:46 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,191,027 times
Quote:
I think the reality is that I intimidate you because I'm not the least bit hesitant to put people like you in your place.
Look, dear, in meaningless exchanges one has to give up - it's always the smarter one because the other yapper keeps yapping forever. Hell will freeze over before somebody like you "intimidates" me. You're simply not worth my time.

Old 04-05-2009, 02:46 PM

371 posts, read 894,849 times
Quote:
Oh, I'm sorry. I know this was meant to insult me, but I just had to laugh. Thanks for the chuckle.
Nah,it wasn't meant as an insult,just a dig. It was too good to resist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships