Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 11:43 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,299,253 times

Advertisements

I'm from California and any taboos about interracial dating is pretty much nonexistent here. I come from a pretty diverse family (I have relative who are white, asian, etc), and I like it that way. Personally, I like diversity and I would never disqualify anyone based on what ethnicity they are. I don't really get the mindset of people that would, but I guess that can be attributed to how people are raised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 12:03 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
I live in an area with a lot of colleges and universities. While the majority of couples are same race pair ups, interracial, intercultural and international dating and marriage is no big deal here. What these couples have in common though is being of a similar educational level.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:10 AM

5,152 posts, read 8,529,163 times
On the left coast, it's pretty much a non issue. Those that make it an issue out here, usually come from somewhere else and bring their issues with them.
I agree about the observations about Detroit when it comes to this, that's one reason why, it's probably the most racist area in the US.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:06 PM

295 posts, read 667,825 times
Hmm. In Pittsburgh, you mostly see black men and white women or asian women and white men.

I would say that only the black folk that I know have a problem with interracial dating....

You won't really get a stare, nobody's going to say anything to you...but they will probably talk about you...but who cares about them!?

Old 07-31-2009, 09:47 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,384,203 times
I love in Baltimore and interracial couples are on the rise. I honestly don't know anyone that even bats an eye anymore.

As someone in one and whose dated outside my race for years, its never been a problem. Sure there have been some looks and comments (years ago) but not much more than that. I ignore and carry on my way.

Old 08-01-2009, 03:37 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,207,947 times
It's close to nonexistent. Hell, it's rare to see white and black people socializing together in my town. I've seen so few interracial couples (even in Jackson proper) that my mind was blown when I first visited Columbus, Ohio and saw more interracial couples in that one month visit than my ten years living here.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:49 AM

I just keep finding more and more reasons to move to Columbus...

Old 08-04-2009, 09:34 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaelgirl View Post
Hmm. In Pittsburgh, you mostly see black men and white women or asian women and white men.

I would say that only the black folk that I know have a problem with interracial dating....

You won't really get a stare, nobody's going to say anything to you...but they will probably talk about you...but who cares about them!?
In Pittsburgh? You must not know too many non-black folks..........

Old 08-04-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
In Pittsburgh? You must not know too many non-black folks..........
You mean because of people who have problems with IR relationships??

Well, when I talk about people that I know, I am talking about friends mostly. Don't have any racist friends...Almost all of my non-black friends are in a relationship with someone of another race or have had interests with someone of another race....so...

I tend not to hang out with close-minded people. Now people that I work with? who knows? We dont' have these kind of conversations...I couldn't care less what they think about it!

Old 08-04-2009, 11:28 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaelgirl View Post
You mean because of people who have problems with IR relationships??

Well, when I talk about people that I know, I am talking about friends mostly. Don't have any racist friends...Almost all of my non-black friends are in a relationship with someone of another race or have had interests with someone of another race....so...

I tend not to hang out with close-minded people. Now people that I work with? who knows? We dont' have these kind of conversations...I couldn't care less what they think about it!
Yes....that town is one of the most racist places I have ever lived. I was a young single guy there, but I found the club/dating scene totally segregated and most whites quite hostile when it came to the possibility of interracial dating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships