Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 06:03 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,028,415 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, so I've posted a few times here & this is my 2nd part to my original post: Living with the 'Rents...so it's getting close to summer time & I will be @ home for about a month...ok so here's the thing, I no longer have a bedroom & it drives me nuts. I came home to be w/ my family for Easter & I realize how similar I am to my mom...but also how different we are (I'm a neat freak, she is highly disorganized)...there is never any food here because my brothers eat EVERYTHING the same day my mom gets groceries...ugh,

I just don't know if I need to live here after I graduate from college, even though my mom is trying to convince me to save some $$, I've never had my own apartment (I live in upperclassmen dorms in my university). Having independence & then having to go back to becoming "dependent" really sucks doesn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 06:59 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Chan...you're an adult now. You really should consider going out on your own.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:05 PM

324 posts, read 862,576 times
Why should she have to move out. It's practical to stay with your parents- it saves money, there's a sense of community albeit not always a "sane" place. I think in this country parents are so quick to push kids out- often times before they are ready. Sorry for the tangent. But...Stay as long as you can- paying rent and mortgage is no joke... Lots of people now wish they parents to go back home to now when they are going through foreclosure.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:16 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,457,651 times
Crakygf...it seems that she is already out on her own.

Chan....if you don't have a bedroom in their house anymore, then where are you supposed to live if you go back home?

Old 04-07-2009, 09:18 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,865,527 times
Living with parents after high school only works for so long. Eventually you have to leave the nest just to get some god damn privacy. The parents constantly monitoring your behavior will drive you nuts!

Seriously, you can't bring home a guy without them questioning it like crazy. You can't come home drunk without them asking hundreds of questions. You lose a lot of privacy and freedoms when you live with parents.

The only benefits is the low rent, that is it!

I would say spending the money for at least a studio or 1 bedroom is well worth the money just by the fact that you get to have freedom and privacy.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:23 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,248,019 times
Why would you go home? You have graduated college and need to go on, spread your wings, become an adult with your own place...

Old 04-07-2009, 09:33 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,542,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
Hi everyone, so I've posted a few times here & this is my 2nd part to my original post: Living with the 'Rents...so it's getting close to summer time & I will be @ home for about a month...ok so here's the thing, I no longer have a bedroom & it drives me nuts. I came home to be w/ my family for Easter & I realize how similar I am to my mom...but also how different we are (I'm a neat freak, she is highly disorganized)...there is never any food here because my brothers eat EVERYTHING the same day my mom gets groceries...ugh,

I just don't know if I need to live here after I graduate from college, even though my mom is trying to convince me to save some $$, I've never had my own apartment (I live in upperclassmen dorms in my university). Having independence & then having to go back to becoming "dependent" really sucks doesn't it?
Well, if all you're gonna do is ****** ****** ****** like you do here, I suppose your parents may not want you there.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:10 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,865,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post
Well, if all you're gonna do is ****** ****** ****** like you do here, I suppose your parents may not want you there.
lmao, that was pretty funny

Old 04-08-2009, 08:14 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankygf View Post
Why should she have to move out. It's practical to stay with your parents- it saves money, there's a sense of community albeit not always a "sane" place. I think in this country parents are so quick to push kids out- often times before they are ready. Sorry for the tangent. But...Stay as long as you can- paying rent and mortgage is no joke... Lots of people now wish they parents to go back home to now when they are going through foreclosure.
In other words, suck more money out of one's parents rather than stand on one's own two feet.

Look, adulthood has to begin sometime. She already said that they had turned her old bedroom into something else. She already said that she doesn't feel comfortable living with her folks. Don't get me wrong. If a true disaster hits, such as the loss of a job or health problems, the parents should always be a place to which she can turn. But a parent does the child no favors by continuing her dependence on them. As the saying goes, Don't cripple your children by making their lives easy.

The OP is a fully grown adult. She has a degree, she has the ability to make a living. She should feel a moral obligation to stop being a child and be her own person. Otherwise she remains an adolescent who just happens to have a college degree.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:43 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,457,651 times
If an adult child (I mean one who is 22/23+) is living with his or her parents, the costs need to be shared equally. There's nothing wrong with it as long as the kid and the parents are OK with it (I personally wouldn't be) and it's really none of anyone else's business. That said, it needs to be a situation that benefits the parent(s) just as much as the child.

Chan, IIRC you mentioned that your family is from a country/culture where children live with parents until marriage. I understand that this is the way it is generally done in some other countries. You have to decide whether you want to live that life or the American life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships