Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 01:42 PM

2,444 posts, read 3,588,888 times

Advertisements

Well no matter what type of relation we're looking for, an employer, a friend, a personal trainer or a wife, we will have certain objectives with that relation. It is not weird to associate the objectives we aim to reach with the person we're aspiring to reach those objectives with.

Hence women often become sexual objects as a result of the objective in the relation being sex.
Meanwhile men often become success-oriented objects as a result of the objective in the relation being social status, stability, building/acquiring a nest/family, all of which are closely tied to economic and status related success.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2019, 01:43 PM

102,255 posts, read 108,215,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
Plus demands,ive heard excuses to why women want certian things.like khey need good looking tall guys so theyre kids are good looking and tall,or they need men with money becasue they want men who are motivated and good providers..

That's left over from a bygone era, though. Old thinking patterns die hard. And many, many women don't think that way, these days, because stye have their own professional degrees and the pay and careers those jobs enable. It's a dying mode of thought, that you're citing, and it's very much on the way out. However, even women who work and earn well will want a man who isn't a slouch. Even if the couple later opts for him to be a SAHD, he needs to be a self-motivated SAHD. The lazy guys end up goofing off at home, and not getting the tasks done, that need doing. They treat it like a permanent vacation. So yeah, women do at least look for men who are reliable and well-motivated.

Old 01-27-2019, 02:25 PM

185 posts, read 143,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
most of them that whine about being wanted for their 'money,' are broke as a joke anyways. A small handful of them ever ascertain that level of vast wealth, now it's all of them? LOL.
Oh my, that's funny!

Old 01-27-2019, 08:49 PM

52,357 posts, read 52,828,351 times
For the lebowski fan...

"He treats objects ike women, man."

Old 01-28-2019, 02:46 PM

20,420 posts, read 14,733,077 times
LOL...another resurrected thread. I wonder, since our OP is for a change still an active poster, if he still feels this way about things?

JBT, care to enlighten us?

I have no issue with someone liking whatever they like and wanting whatever they want. When it comes to most men in the world, I am not very invested in their opinions so I don't care.

When it comes to my partners...the feeling I have on the subject of "objectification" is simply that I will change and get older, and I do sometimes fear that a man's enjoyment of a woman is so affixed to her looking "hot" (which means, youthful) that his love and passion for me will fade no matter how well I try to take care of myself, because inevitably I won't look "young" anymore. Even with a partner who is a lot older than me, I am afraid of this. He once expressed something to the effect that all men are essentially attracted to women who look like teenagers, just not all men will admit it. Well thanks. The part that upsets me is that I'd much rather be on my own than with someone who doesn't really want me. I don't want to be "just better than nothing/no one." But somehow despite men losing desire and interest for a wife or longterm partner, they still want to keep control of her, keep the relationship intact and going, they don't want to let go.

What I am saying, is that with a partner I love, I see all of his layers and I love them. I don't care that my guy is aging, I don't care that he doesn't make as much money as I do, I care about all the amazing stuff that makes him the person he is, and I care about how he makes me feel, which is generally amazing. It hurts when I don't believe that a man can do that with a woman. That he sees T&A and that's about it, or it's more important and always will be, than WHO I am. Because the "object factor" will change over time no matter what. It hits one of my worse triggers, which is the idea that I can never be what someone wants me to be, someone who is supposed to love me and care for me in a genuine way, sooner or later I will let them down, I'll be a disappointment, and whether they stay or go, they won't continue to love me. But I know that's not any man's fault, except maybe my Father...but also my Mother, since it is childhood baggage. Knowing this, I try very hard to set it aside. But letting myself trust someone, that they actually do love me, the real me, that is an act of faith and trust that is hard to do. And all of the societal "objectification" stuff does not really help.

Old 01-28-2019, 04:52 PM

1,593 posts, read 779,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That's left over from a bygone era, though. Old thinking patterns die hard. And many, many women don't think that way, these days, because stye have their own professional degrees and the pay and careers those jobs enable. It's a dying mode of thought, that you're citing, and it's very much on the way out. However, even women who work and earn well will want a man who isn't a slouch. Even if the couple later opts for him to be a SAHD, he needs to be a self-motivated SAHD. The lazy guys end up goofing off at home, and not getting the tasks done, that need doing. They treat it like a permanent vacation. So yeah, women do at least look for men who are reliable and well-motivated.
The circumstances that led to the mindset are on the way out, women are not only able to financially succeed on their own, by some metrics and in some demographics they outearn men.

However I believe I have read studies/polls/articles that indicate that, as a general trend, women still tend to date and marry “up.” That on average, women are less willing to have a partner who is “lower” (subjectively) in terms of accomplishment, finances, or social class than men.

Old 01-28-2019, 04:54 PM

334 posts, read 228,175 times
You can only be treated like an object if you allow it.

Old 01-29-2019, 07:23 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,775,977 times
Hey, JBT, it's been TEN YEARS since you posted this. Did you ever get the answer to your question?

Old 01-29-2019, 07:42 AM

9,381 posts, read 7,006,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
For the lebowski fan...

"He treats objects ike women, man."
Best scene ever...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tjN5q9Ixen4

Old 01-30-2019, 08:17 PM

661 posts, read 523,202 times
I think very wealthy people up at the top of society create double standards to cause war and division between different groups. The good news is that you can blame those people so women per se aren't the ones that should be blamed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships