Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 02:54 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,550,211 times

Advertisements

I almost posted this in the parenting forum but it really is more about how kids treat each other than how sorry their parents are at raising them.

Imagine this at a local high school. A girl has a knife in her school bag. A boy finds this out and takes the knife from her. He chases another boy around with the knife. The boy running from the joker with the knife ends up with a stab wound in the ribs.

One kid, with ROTC training, sees the whole thing and goes to help the boy, who collapsed on the grass in front of the school. The kid with the knife runs to give it back to the girl, with blood all over it and takes off. The ROTC kid grabs a t-shirt and applies pressure to the wound. He asks another boy to lift the injured boy's legs, as he is going into shock, but he freaks out and takes off because he was also involved in the incident somehow. Finally, a teacher sees what is happening and goes to help, calls 911 and tells ROTC boy to step back. He is covered to his elbows in blood and the shirt is soaked.

After all that kid did to help, where no one else had the nads to, the other kids started spreading rumors that he set the whole thing up so he could look like a hero. This could potentially have landed this kid in jail. Some of these kids were his so-called "friends".

This enfuriates me. Who does this? Where do these kids learn the meaning of "friendship"? What kind of people are teaching (or not teaching) these kids to treat human life this way?

Edited to add: The boy who was stabbed is in stable condition, but the docs said it could have been much worse had that kid not gone to help him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 02:59 PM

2,751 posts, read 5,364,751 times
This society is a mess, and I don't know how we fix it. It's endemic by now. I would say I'm glad my life is half over so I won't see the worst of it, but then I remember that my kids will be around to see the worst of it. i do know that hyper-active lawyers are at least partially to blame. Everybody's either running scared, over-regulating, just generally busy-bodying us to death, or slipping on well-place banana peels. INTEGRITY, where have you gone?

Old 04-22-2009, 03:11 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,869,001 times
aww the joys of parenting.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
aww the joys of parenting.
Hey, I hear ya. But there's an upside though. I'll tell ya the dilemma. It's when you're single and unaccountable to anybody other than yourself, you just don't give a damn, and then when you have kids your actions have such ramifications you're handcuffed.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExPit View Post
Hey, I hear ya. But there's an upside though. I'll tell ya the dilemma. It's when you're single and unaccountable to anybody other than yourself, you just don't give a damn, and then when you have kids your actions have such ramifications you're handcuffed.
hehe, that is why you get a vasectomy silly.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:18 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,009,486 times
I never used to stop with telling my kids one time such things as, but punctuated for times sake, be kind to people. I have a feeling some parents think they can tell their kids something once and they've taught them. It has to be backed up by actions tho'. Even so, I think, nowadays, the world has more influence and hold over most children than do the parents, sadly. And I'm not sure what to do about it short of locking your children up and raising them in a cave in the desert. I'd never have kids the way the world is right now. I know how negative that sounds but look around you, if ever there was a human wasteland, it's here and now.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:21 PM

Quote:
hehe, that is why you get a vasectomy silly.
No, my kids are the best thing that ever happened to me. People that have never had them don't know. But I know what it's like not to; I take this way.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:26 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,712,192 times
PTC, that's sad, but gossip and cruel rumors are hardly anything new. That a kid got stabbed at school is alarming but offset by the brave acts of the other boy--he probably saved the victim's life. I call the whole thing a wash.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExPit View Post
No, my kids are the best thing that ever happened to me. People that have never had them don't know. But I know what it's like not to; I take this way.
I've taken care of kids. Been there in the good times and bad. Frankly, it isn't as great as it is cracked up to be. I was only babysitting them for 8 hours and I couldn't even take that. I also saw the effects it had on the parents - increased stress, loss of sleep among the myriad of other things I didn't see.

These days, kids aren't something you can just take for a test drive. Once you have them you are stuck!

So you should know EARLY on if you want kids or not because if you have no plan, you'll have kids sooner or later. Guaranteed.

Oh yea and EVERYONE says they love their kids. If they say anything otherwise, everyone thinks they are a nut case. So you have to like it weather you like it or not!

Old 04-22-2009, 03:35 PM

Quote:
I've taken care of kids. Been there in the good times and bad. Frankly, it isn't as great as it is cracked up to be. I was only babysitting them for 8 hours and I couldn't even take that. I also saw the effects it had on the parents - increased stress, loss of sleep among the myriad of other things I didn't see.

These days, kids aren't something you can just take for a test drive. Once you have them you are stuck!

So you should know EARLY on if you want kids or not because if you have no plan, you'll have kids sooner or later. Guaranteed.
Hey man, if it's not for you, that's cool. I was a hold out for a while, met a girl I couldn't deny, and found out that not only could I handle parenthood, but I'm pretty good at it. I actually applaud you for knowing it's not for you. If more people gave it that much thought we'd have fewer unwanted kids.

That said ... even when you're right for it, it's hard. But it's love man, that's all. I love 'em, you know. Some things are bigger than us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships