Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2007, 05:43 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,204,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarty View Post
23 years difference...
Best wishes...

You know any older (possibly with a big wallet) girl friend for me?
I thought you were married Smarty?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2007, 06:21 PM

4 posts, read 11,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
It's a package deal, good or bad. Before you take the "legal leap" think good and hard if this is what you want, forever. This is also a good time to see how well you partner backs you up regarding his self-absorbed teens. If he is not in your corner now and can't see how their behaviour affects you, then I doubt it will get better in the future. Good luck.
Thats really true. By looking at it as a package deal makes me feel selfish. I dunno, I like to think that people can change and can better themselves in doing so. Ive seen my BF's teenagers and the effects of a childhood where they were spoiled rotten. I know that I want my baby to be raised differently from that. My BF and I have spoken about that. He agrees with me, but sometimes needs reminding. Same with the teenage behavior issues. I defenitly think that I have a lot to contenned with-- am I crazy for wanting this?

Old 12-17-2007, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicka View Post
Thats really true. By looking at it as a package deal makes me feel selfish. I dunno, I like to think that people can change and can better themselves in doing so. Ive seen my BF's teenagers and the effects of a childhood where they were spoiled rotten. I know that I want my baby to be raised differently from that. My BF and I have spoken about that. He agrees with me, but sometimes needs reminding. Same with the teenage behavior issues. I defenitly think that I have a lot to contenned with-- am I crazy for wanting this?
No..we all hope for the best and always wish things could change, but as history has told us, if you don't like the way things are now it's foolish to "hope" they will change in the future. The kids will not change until they are on their own and not handed everything they want. Going into a relationship thinking you can "fix" people never works. You end up doing all of the changing to fit in with their lives while they take you for granted. I am not saying this is your situation and I hope it isn't, but I hope for your sake these are older teenagers that will be going off to college or to live their own lives soon. You really need to look at is it the teens you are annoyed at or that their dad let's them get away with this kind of behaviour? Having so many years between you and the fact that you are closer in age to his kids than him may make it hard for him at times to see you as an equal and treat you as such. Remember, when you are a young and vibrant 40 he will be 66 and when you are still young at 50 he will be old enough to be your grandpa. If you chose to have kids with this guy is it fair to your child to have such an old Dad? I don't mean now but further down the line??? Hope my realism isn't too much. I had a relationship with someone when I was 21 and he was 34....fun at first but the age difference came out as he got older. He has had three wives since we broke up and they were are in their early twenties when he married them while he was forty up to his late fifties with his last marriage. I hope everything works out as you want it.

Old 12-17-2007, 07:32 AM

1 posts, read 3,117 times
Cool hie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassy1 View Post
I'm 5 years older than my husband, but it does not matter to us because we are truly "soul mates", I can finish a sentence for him, he knows what I am thinking. We have a wonderful life and I honestly can't imagine life without him. Still on the honeymoon!

so what is your secret , ihave this girl she is 2.5 years older than me
and we are an item but u know african values on relationships sort of ristrict
it and iam kind of thinking about lying about her age till some years when
reversal will be a non starter,i dont know is it a wise move?

Old 12-17-2007, 07:56 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coledeni View Post
so what is your secret , ihave this girl she is 2.5 years older than me
and we are an item but u know african values on relationships sort of ristrict
it and iam kind of thinking about lying about her age till some years when
reversal will be a non starter,i dont know is it a wise move?
What does your girlfriend think of your idea about lying about her age? If there is an age prejudice in your country, then it wouldn't bother me to lie about it. As it is, why should your age and hers even come up in a conversation? And people should not be defined by their biological age.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:53 AM

1,810 posts, read 10,488,243 times
Well said Miu..

Btw.. I feel
3 inches taller,
20 lbs lighter,
a few years younger,
and my package is foot long.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarty View Post
Well said Miu..

Btw.. I feel
3 inches taller,
20 lbs lighter,
a few years younger,
and my package is foot long.
Smarty...I had to sit down for that comment!

Old 12-20-2007, 06:30 PM

4 posts, read 11,239 times
The kids will not change until they are on their own and not handed everything they want. Going into a relationship thinking you can "fix" people never works. You end up doing all of the changing to fit in with their lives while they take you for granted. I am not saying this is your situation and I hope it isn't, but I hope for your sake these are older teenagers that will be going off to college or to live their own lives soon. You really need to look at is it the teens you are annoyed at or that their dad let's them get away with this kind of behaviour?
Having so many years between you and the fact that you are closer in age to his kids than him may make it hard for him at times to see you as an equal and treat you as such. Remember, when you are a young and vibrant 40 he will be 66 and when you are still young at 50 he will be old enough to be your grandpa. If you chose to have kids with this guy is it fair to your child to have such an old Dad? I don't mean now but further down the line??? Hope my realism isn't too much. I had a relationship with someone when I was 21 and he was 34....fun at first but the age difference came out as he got older. He has had three wives since we broke up and they were are in their early twenties when he married them while he was forty up to his late fifties with his last marriage. I hope everything works out as you want it.[/quote]

Well we do have a baby already-- 11 months old. He is a very caring father, kind and gentle. I have thought so much about how unfair it is to my little baby to have an older Dad. It makes me sad, really sad, to watch his 2 teens take him for granted and at the same time knowing that my baby wont be getting the same type of things to even take for granted. For example he plays hockey with his teens every single Friday night and they could care less. Its sad. Im glad that he gets to spend that quality time with them but it makes me angry that they really dont care how hard their Dad works for them (obviously I dont mean the hocky alone). Maybe I am a little annoyed at my BF for not caring how his teens treat him. Im so utterly confused. I thought I was confused before but the more I think the more mind boggled I become. Im very glad for the input though, and welcome the new insight and different ways to look at my situation

Old 12-20-2007, 07:10 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicka View Post
Maybe I am a little annoyed at my BF for not caring how his teens treat him. Im so utterly confused.
But you've never been in the position of being married, with kids, and then divorced. I believe that what commonly happens is that the parents (or at least one of them) tries really hard to keep the marriage going for the sake of their kids. Finally, it comes to the point where a divorce is necessary. The kids are upset at their family being split apart and even mad at their parents. Then the parents feeling guilty, indulged their kids, trying to make up for the divorce.

So whether or not he realizes it, your boyfriend feels guilty over the divorce, and by not disciplining his children, he is trying to make amends for the family being split apart. Meanwhile, you are stuck in limbo not having mom privileges over them.

For an example of how kids feel about their parents divorcing, watch the the indie movie, The Whale and the Squid. Or go to the library and read up about it.

Old 12-23-2007, 03:20 PM

22 posts, read 111,957 times
I haven't read all the thread is kinda long and im too lazy

But well, my 2 only relationships ever have been OM/YM
My first husband was 13 years old than myself, though it didn't worked(and we had a daughter together she's know 10), my 2nd marriage, we have 3 daughters(6,3,1).
I'm 33(going on 34 in Jan) and he's 55(going on 56 on July) he has two older children, but they're adults know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships