Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2009, 07:50 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,001,245 times

Advertisements

What do you say? Which category does your current relationship fall under and what was most common with your past relationships?

I honestly can't decide on mine so I'm interested to see how you define yours.

On second thought, I think it's confusing because we're alike in so many ways and different in so many ways but I'll have to side with like attracts like over all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 08:28 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,637,996 times
I've been with people who were like me and people who were the complete opposite. People say opposites attract and it's often true. But no one's ever coined the phrase "Opposites last." I'm sure there are people out there that are opposites and they've made it work. But I think they're the exception to the rule. In the long run, I think it's better to be with someone more like you, but different enough where you balance each other, don't get bored and don't reinforce each others' bad qualities.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:43 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,540,188 times
It's a little of both. In some ways we need mates who have some common bonds to share. On the other hand, it's what is opposite that can be intersting and keep things new.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:50 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,688,647 times
I agree with Denny.

I wouldn't have wanted to marry a clone of myself, but really the only ways my husband and I are radically different, enough to garner the word "opposites," is that he loves skiing and horror movies.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:51 AM

2,709 posts, read 6,313,642 times
My ex-husband was very different from me. He was logical, whereas I am more emotional. He was very linear and methodical, whereas I can be more "fly by the seat of my pants." He was reserved, whereas I can be more effusive and sociable. We liked different things: books, sports, etc.

When we first started dating, I was actually really happy that we were different in so many ways. I felt that he could maybe tone down my excesses, and that likewise I could possibly galvanize him to loosen up a bit.

The problem for us, though -- which I didn't realize until "too late" -- was that he didn't have the same appreciation for my differences that I did for his. I saw the ways he was different from me as a good thing. I anticpated that he would rub off on me in positive ways. He, on the other hand, saw the ways I was different from him as profound defects in my character. Before too long, our opposite-ness became a curse and a divisive wedge in our relationship.

Going forward, I think I'd probably gravitate toward someone who is more like myself, but still different from me in various ways. After all, if I want someone exactly like myself, I'll just stay single. But I also think that I'll make sure that he sees my different-ness -- OUR different-ness -- as a good thing. Then again, I tend to be more jaded these days. Nowadays I'm looking for compatibility, affection, kindness, and respect moreso than passion and "love." (I don't really think I trust this concept of "love.")

Old 05-08-2009, 01:00 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,637,996 times
I think a big part of why people are attracted to their opposite is what Niftybergin brought up. You see someone who has qualities that you wish you had and you hope that they'll rub off on you. But part of being in a relationship means accepting people the way they are. You can go in hoping that person might be influenced by you or you may even tell yourself you'll be able to change them. That's a mistake too many people make.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:15 PM

2,751 posts, read 5,362,544 times
I think the reason why this is a confusing subject is because the answer is split down the middle. You have to have enough in common so that you can relate on many levels, and enough that is different so that you don't implode.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships