Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 07:08 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,758,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flourpower View Post
First of all, let me start by saying I wasn't expecting a gift from my husband (I realize that I am not HIS mother). In fact, I hardly ever get a gift for anything (birthdays, anniversary, xmas, etc.)...I've learned to accept the fact (after 15 years) that he is extremely cheap and unthoughtful.
Anyway, I did get breakfast in bed (mostly arranged by the kids). The only thing I asked for was for help around the house today (laundry and cleaning up). When I asked Husband for about the 5th time (in a rather exasperated tone), he went ballistic on me. Basically telling asking me why he should have to do anything because, according to him, I don't ever do anything around the house anyway! Mind you I ABSOLUTELY DO EVERYTHING around here!!!
I just had to vent as I can accept no gift and even no acknowledgement, but to be insulted like that on MOTHER"S DAY really made me mad!!!
Your fault. By your own admission, you've gone on for years without insisting on anyone sharing the work, why should it be any different on mother's day?

Either put up with what you've made for yourself, or change it. Having a tantrum about it won't fix anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 08:19 AM

10,177 posts, read 20,802,195 times
You know I appreciate my mother as much as anyone else. However, Mother's Day is a greeting card holiday. What started out with the best of intentions didn't take long to get commercialized like Christmas and Halloween or any other holiday. So why let your spouses words cut a little deeper just because it's Mother's Day? If he's selfish and you know he's been this way for 15 years, then there's no surprises. I think we get too sentimental and allow our feelings to get hurt a little deeper just because of an argument that takes place on a Hallmark Holiday. Suicides are highest on Christmas, because we think no one should be alone on such a sacred day. So it's ok to be alone and hungry the other 364 days of the year? People should love and appreciate their mothers all year long, not because some TV commercial lays a guilt trip on you for not following the herd.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:28 AM

1,452 posts, read 3,173,680 times
It's easy for everyone else to say, divorce isn't that simple, and not the answer to every problem. She would end up supporting three kids and doing everything....my suggestion? Stop doing any and all laundry, cooking and cleaning for a week and watch the place fall apart. This way you can tell your husband that since he thinks you do nothing around the house, you decided to do just that..nothing..and see how he likes it. As soon as he's gone for work and the kids are gone for school, go out with friends, go to the gym, go for a walk, hell get a massage, mani, pedi,..do the things for yourself noone else would think to give you as a gift for mother's day (like a day at the spa!). Maybe some attitudes will change then.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:15 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,758,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onegreatnurse View Post
It's easy for everyone else to say, divorce isn't that simple, and not the answer to every problem. She would end up supporting three kids and doing everything....my suggestion? Stop doing any and all laundry, cooking and cleaning for a week and watch the place fall apart. This way you can tell your husband that since he thinks you do nothing around the house, you decided to do just that..nothing..and see how he likes it. As soon as he's gone for work and the kids are gone for school, go out with friends, go to the gym, go for a walk, hell get a massage, mani, pedi,..do the things for yourself noone else would think to give you as a gift for mother's day (like a day at the spa!). Maybe some attitudes will change then.
Most people do not respond well to blackmail or passive-aggressive behaviors.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:45 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,661,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
Most people do not respond well to blackmail or passive-aggressive behaviors.
I was going to ask, why people suggest these mom's operate from spite? You can be good to yourself without hurting others. Remember, people treat you the way you allow them. You can share your expectations with your spouse without nagging. You also have other options besides divorce. If you don't learn anything from a relationship and just opt for divorce, you'll bring the same problems into the next relationship.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:49 AM

27 posts, read 56,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flourpower View Post
First of all, let me start by saying I wasn't expecting a gift from my husband (I realize that I am not HIS mother). In fact, I hardly ever get a gift for anything (birthdays, anniversary, xmas, etc.)...I've learned to accept the fact (after 15 years) that he is extremely cheap and unthoughtful.
Anyway, I did get breakfast in bed (mostly arranged by the kids). The only thing I asked for was for help around the house today (laundry and cleaning up). When I asked Husband for about the 5th time (in a rather exasperated tone), he went ballistic on me. Basically telling asking me why he should have to do anything because, according to him, I don't ever do anything around the house anyway! Mind you I ABSOLUTELY DO EVERYTHING around here!!!
I just had to vent as I can accept no gift and even no acknowledgement, but to be insulted like that on MOTHER"S DAY really made me mad!!!
Waitaminute...he got mad because you asked him to do something? If he thinks you don't do anything anyway, and he isnt doing anything...how is anything getting done? If he thinks he does everything then why'd you have to ask him to do anything in the first place? *head starts spinning*

Uhm. I got confused. Anyway, sorry the ingrate ruined the day. At least your kids did something nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships