Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 10:24 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
if your single and a man, your much luckier then most, b/c a lot of married women fall all over a single man and want to mother him
As a single man, why on Earth would I want to be "mothered by married women" ?

I'm not totally sure what you mean, but this sounds very unpleasant.

Last edited by le roi; 05-11-2009 at 10:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 11:02 AM

1,089 posts, read 2,398,644 times
rubber_factory, because they will often introduce you to their hot single friends and relatives! If a married woman is a good cook it's also very common for her to want to make meals for a single guy, but that's more common for older guys and widowers where the married women feel sorry for them that they don't have a woman to take care of them.

We're not talking about them coming around with a tissue to blow your nose, not THAT kind of mothering

Old 05-11-2009, 11:13 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,262,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
As a single man, why on Earth would I want to be "mothered by married women" ?

I'm not totally sure what you mean, but this sounds very unpleasant.
I'm sorry, but some men are so extremely gullible. What I mean to say is, suppose your network of friends are mostly married, and you get a divorce. The women from that network will flock to you, and try to fix you up with dates, invite you over for dinner, to their parties, etc. They will even go as far as making meals for you.

But if your the female of that divorce, those same women will show you very little compassion.

When I was married we had tons of friends...married couples and we traveled all around together. Once I got a divorce, those same women didn't bother any longer and I found a new network of friends.

I'm not saying all women are like this, if I were, I certainly wouldn't have any friends...but the vast majority are, and like I said, I've discussed this with many other single women and men, and the way we as genders are treated is totally different.

Also, as I wrote before, my girlfriend sadly saw this happen to people in a 55+ community where she worked.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:25 AM

5,324 posts, read 6,100,273 times
It depends onthe situation also,a women may try to fix up single guys who are friends of their husband because they feel uneasy about their husband hanging out with a single guy in some fear that person might lead their husband into cheating when hes looking to meet women..

Old 05-11-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT1980 View Post
It depends onthe situation also,a women may try to fix up single guys who are friends of their husband because they feel uneasy about their husband hanging out with a single guy in some fear that person might lead their husband into cheating when hes looking to meet women..

you have a great point there...never thought of that but again very manipulative

Old 05-11-2009, 12:32 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,854,584 times
Default Elderly Single Women vs Single Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Why is it human beings can be so unaware or unthinking?
When the competition is the greatest, it brings out the worst in people. Among seniors, the female to male ratio must be 4:1. Women who are still married have status. Single available men in this demographic are as rare as whooping cranes. And you wonder why the knives (and casseroles) come out?

Probably similar to a dermatology faculty at an engineering school. An unexplained, but high murder rate? Give me a break!

My mother, a widow, hangs out with all the other widows and they get along fine.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:55 PM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuinlalaland View Post
So true! Married women can be interested in single guys to the point of obsession (in a motherly way) especially if they're hoping to set them up with someone. I've noticed this in particular with married mothers being extremely friendly and even getting physical with me (hugging and touching) if they have a single daughter. The moment their daughter is together with some other guy the mother suddenly realizes I (or her husband) might take all the touching the wrong way and usually pulls back to a cool distance.

Younger married women are also typically very outgoing toward single guys and all the more so if they find those guys attractive. It's a cruel joke of life that when you're single and looking most people are nervous about approaching people they find attractive. But when you're happily together with someone you're no longer afraid of talking to those same people.

Come to think of it, if you're a single guy and interested in being introduced to lots of single girls, it's probably not a bad idea to befriend married women and let as many of them as possible realize that you're a great guy.
You are spot on here. I lost track of how many neighbors, friends etc. have shown interest in fixing me up with someone when I started dating again.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:44 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,513,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
When the competition is the greatest, it brings out the worst in people. Among seniors, the female to male ratio must be 4:1. Women who are still married have status. Single available men in this demographic are as rare as whooping cranes. And you wonder why the knives (and casseroles) come out?

Probably similar to a dermatology faculty at an engineering school. An unexplained, but high murder rate? Give me a break!

My mother, a widow, hangs out with all the other widows and they get along fine.
I read somewhere it is higher. I don't remember the source, but it said for men over 50, there are 19 single women for each man.

That's why I took myself out of the whole thing.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotARedneck View Post
Funny, but are you defending their behavior?

I hang out with both single folks and married folks...and like your mother, we get along fine...but there were some in my past, who right after my seperation and divorce, completely dropped off the face of the earth. It hurt me then, but now I feel, good riddens....

Old 05-12-2009, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You are spot on here. I lost track of how many neighbors, friends etc. have shown interest in fixing me up with someone when I started dating again.
The same was done with me, and I don't get it, why in the world, would anyone push someone into dating by setting them up. I was set up a few times and afterwards, told people, I am not attending if your trying to set me up. It is so unfair and you end up spending the night away with someone who is not even closely compatible? Not to mention, I don't get people, why do they think you have to have someone in your life to be happy????? I really don't get that????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships