Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 02:34 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,448,467 times

Advertisements

Yup, definately some communication problems here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 02:36 PM

109 posts, read 299,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
I was direct because he is so shy and I'm through with coyness crap in dating.

So then he calls me and tells me his friend had said he was interested in going & offered to pay for the extra ticket, so he will see if his friend ends up paying to go or not. If not, then he wants me to go with him.

Next time do not offer to help people with their shyness or whatever the problem. If you think too much about what they are thinking and try to see what's going on in their heads, that creates an unnatural place to be for you.

In this case, maybe he wasn't really hinting, maybe you had already labeled him as shy or as wanting things he does not really want, whatever, it doesn't matter.
What should matter to you is whether to say YES or NO when a man asks you to attend a concert, not to infer whether HE wants to invite you or not.

Do yourself a favour and don't team up with guys who can't do as much as launch an invitation properly.

Old 05-17-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
He replied to my email. Now he says he's going to get tix to another show and said not to worry about paying him back.

He didn't even ask me if I was free that night. I replied & asked him if that was an invitation then & told him he was smooth (sarcastically).

IDK....I guess I will go and see how he behaves on a date. I wonder if this is just a maturity issue....I normally date guys a few years older than him.
Did you ask him if you had to pay, is that why he said you didnt have to worry about paying him back? Its an odd comment, if you didnt say anything about money. Unless you are always talking about your money woes with him and he thinks you don't get it that he's inviting you. Its odd.

Old 05-17-2009, 02:44 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,149,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossing over View Post
Next time do not offer to help people with their shyness or whatever the problem. If you think too much about what they are thinking and try to see what's going on in their heads, that creates an unnatural place to be for you.

In this case, maybe he wasn't really hinting, maybe you had already labeled him as shy or as wanting things he does not really want, whatever, it doesn't matter.
What should matter to you is whether to say YES or NO when a man asks you to attend a concert, not to infer whether HE wants to invite you or not.

Do yourself a favour and don't team up with guys who can't do as much as launch an invitation properly.
Well, I did not label him as shy myself (he has made many remarks about his timidity), but I suppose you are right about the invitation thing.
I don't feel I assumed anything, but he is awfully passive-aggressive.

If he had apologized for taking back his ambiguous invite, and asked me to another show, I might have lost the bad taste in my mouth....

Old 05-17-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
Did you ask him if you had to pay, is that why he said you didnt have to worry about paying him back? Its an odd comment, if you didnt say anything about money. Unless you are always talking about your money woes with him and he thinks you don't get it that he's inviting you. Its odd.
I have not said a word about money besides one comment. That comment about my money only came up when were discussing all these bands we'd like to see and I said I was bummed cuz I'm broke right now & could only shell out money for one show (a totally different concert I already got tix for). Maybe he was just reassuring me that he would pay for it?

Old 05-17-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:
I have not said a word about money besides one comment. That comment about my money only came up when were discussing all these bands we'd like to see and I said I was bummed cuz I'm broke right now & could only shell out money for one show (a totally different concert I already got tix for). Maybe he was just reassuring me that he would pay for it?
It could be. But since an invitation means you don't pay, I am perplexed as to why he even mentioned it. I hope he e-mails back and lets you know whats going on. Its rather confusing. Like , it almost seems like he is asking you to go as a friend, instead of a date. But you say its romantic.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:00 PM

He called it a date!!!
When I told him he was "smooth" he admitted he was terribly awkward.
I also made him acknowledge it was an invite, and then I told him he was lucky I happened to be free that night.
At least it's a band I really wanted to see .

Old 05-17-2009, 03:02 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,183,319 times
Quote:
^ So he's trying to invite me without actually inviting me so I will pay for it?

Sounds like a cheap ass... You can do better

Old 05-17-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
He called it a date!!!
When I told him he was "smooth" he admitted he was terribly awkward.
I also made him acknowledge it was an invite, and then I told him he was lucky I happened to be free that night.
At least it's a band I really wanted to see .
Its good you guys talked. I was hoping you and him would clarify the situation. Have fun on your date.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:10 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,349,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
When he said "hint hint", you should of asked "are you inviting me?" If the answer is yes, then he pays. All invitations are paid by the invitee. A guy invites you to the movies, he pays. To lunch, he pays. If he doesn't say he's inviting you, then you pay.The mere fact that he called it an "extra ticket" means he's not inviting you.

You could talk to him and say that you were not clear on weather he was inviitng you or simply wanted to sell his extra ticket. If you are confused he might be trying to leave an open in case you don't want to go. Sounds like you need to clear up this matter soon.
I agree just ask him then you will know for sure what he means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships