Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2012, 01:48 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,119,489 times

Advertisements

Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo - drugstore.com. Low prices, side effects, interactions.

Ortho tri cyclen lo is expensive and that is the only one I could tolerate.

My medical insurance covered a large portion of that so it wasn't as expensive as it shows there, but there was no generic for it (not sure if there is now, I went off about 2yrs ago).

I paid $40 a month after insurance picked up their portion of the bill.

After trying a few other brands and methods of hormonal birth control that was the only one that didn't give me horrible side effects.

Just because the pill is widely available, doesn't always mean that every woman can take every brand on the market. There are a LOT of side effects that come with hormonal birth control and finding a pill with minimal side effects can be hard for some women.

Old 05-04-2012, 01:49 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,319,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I agree accidents happen but not 4 and 5 times.

Most people using bc have sex believing they are taking precautions to avoid pregnancy, so yes pregnancy can be accidental. Believing no one should or will have sex unless they are prepared to become parents is not realistic.

I know a number of women my self include that was on the pill and had an accidental pregnancy. We were all married at the time but still BC is not 100%. There were things like the effects of ani-biotics and the pill that no one bothered to make women aware of.

I just dont understand why doctors and society in general is so against sterilization. Its very difficult for women to electively have a tubal unless they already have several children or are past a certain age. I think they should be encouraging tubals for unmarried women with multiple baby daddies.
IMO the pill is not an effective form of birth control. Too many women forget to take it. It's as reliable as men remembering to put a condom on.

Old 05-04-2012, 01:50 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,119,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom123 View Post

My main point was to show that birth control IS available at low prices so the "I can't afford it" excuse is a very bad one.
How about "I can't afford the brand that doesn't give me severe cramps, migraines, nausea and/or vomiting, anxiety attacks, heart palpitations...etc"

Old 05-04-2012, 02:14 PM

2,028 posts, read 1,893,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
How about "I can't afford the brand that doesn't give me severe cramps, migraines, nausea and/or vomiting, anxiety attacks, heart palpitations...etc"
Good afternoon,

I understand those challenges exist, and I certainly sympathize with you.

That being said, I'm sure you're the exception and not the rule. If a large part of the population had your challenges, the drug wouldn't be on the market or the price wouldn't be as low. Economies of scale brings the price down (aka a large number of women purchasing it).

Old 05-04-2012, 02:30 PM

36,817 posts, read 31,098,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom123 View Post
Hi 2mares,

My main point was to show that birth control IS available at low prices so the "I can't afford it" excuse is a very bad one.

If you decide to post the prices of other types and/or prove this $9 version is an anomaly, I'd be happy to change my opinion.

Thanks for the offer. But, I agree, just pointing out not all bc pills are cheap. But if you cant afford it you can get them at the health dept. I actually did have to get mine there for awhile when I couldnt afford the $20 a month. Of course this was about 30 years ago.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:35 PM

36,817 posts, read 31,098,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
IMO the pill is not an effective form of birth control. Too many women forget to take it. It's as reliable as men remembering to put a condom on.

Its the most effective. IDK, maybe now the IUD is back on the market, its probably as effective if not more so. I think if I needed bc now thats the route Id go.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:43 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,319,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Its the most effective. IDK, maybe now the IUD is back on the market, its probably as effective if not more so. I think if I needed bc now thats the route Id go.
There are way more effective methods. IUD, Implanon (tiny rod inserted into your arm) and depo (shot given every three months).

Old 05-04-2012, 05:33 PM

58 posts, read 127,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeusExMachina78 View Post
True story here. A girl I once knew told me that she wanted to use protection, but that the guy she was with hated them, and that she was scared that if she made him use a condom that he would just find another girl. Of course she got pregnant and he bounced and found another girl. Oh, and this was child number three for her.
LOL....lovely.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:53 PM

439 posts, read 854,561 times
Quote:
True story here. A girl I once knew told me that she wanted to use protection, but that the guy she was with hated them, and that she was scared that if she made him use a condom that he would just find another girl. Of course she got pregnant and he bounced and found another girl. Oh, and this was child number three for her.
OMG these stories are unbelievable! I do not feel bad for any of these women who have kids by men who do not want to marry them. As a man, I would be VERY weary compromising with a woman who was OK raising children by multiple men.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:56 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,238,680 times
Quote:
Dudes like that deserve child support debt and jail time.

By the way, how old was she?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships