Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 05:54 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,710,675 times

Advertisements

Ok, on a lighter note from my past posts, I'd like to get a consensus on an interesting opportunity that has been on the back burner.
I have the chance to work in the UK, my job is in demand there. I think it would be a great opportunity for me, I have never been to the UK and I love to travel. This would be for at least a year. Financially, it will be a bit of a challenge that while I will be making decent money based on their local wages, I will have more expenses (rent, higher taxes, etc) to consider and maybe not as much "disposable" income to travel around Europe or whatever. Ok, the other thing is I also want to buy a house. I am currently working of paying off debts so I can buy a home with little to no debt.
The issue I'm having is, 1) should I just go to the UK, have a wonderful experience or 2) buy a home first? I'm afraid I may miss tax benefits or rate decreases, etc. and when I get back, the housing market will be back to "normal" with no deals or breaks to be had??

Any thoughts?
p.s.- I considered buying a home and renting it out while I was gone, but if disaster strikes, it will be so hard to solve anything while overseas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 05:57 PM

13,782 posts, read 26,293,936 times
Wow, sounds like a once in a lifetime opportunity!

Can you retain a management company that will oversee your home for maintenance/catastrophe?? Sometimes small contracting businesses will do it...

I would do it...why buy a home if you are uncertain if you will like it? I would go, rent, see where you want to be, see if you like it and get to know the area!

What a great opportunity!!!

Old 06-09-2009, 06:00 PM

hey! thanks, I thought of the property mangagement, I think that would be a good thing, I would have the added expense of that, of course in addition to rent, taxes, food, bills in the UK. I guess if the rent was covered, that would help?

and the idea of renting makes me cringe a little, almost like throwing money away, but I see what you mean by testing out the area first. I know where I want to live, it's just a matter of finding something affordable and be as close to the city as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Wow, sounds like a once in a lifetime opportunity!

Can you retain a management company that will oversee your home for maintenance/catastrophe?? Sometimes small contracting businesses will do it...

I would do it...why buy a home if you are uncertain if you will like it? I would go, rent, see where you want to be, see if you like it and get to know the area!

What a great opportunity!!!

Old 06-09-2009, 06:01 PM
miu

17,721 posts, read 40,268,667 times
How old are you? I'd pick going to the UK to work in a heartbeat! And they speak English with that lovely Brit accent! Plus it'd be so easy to visit the other European states. You only live once. Buying a house in the US can wait.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
hey! thanks, I thought of the property mangagement, I think that would be a good thing, I would have the added expense of that, of course in addition to rent, taxes, food, bills in the UK. I guess if the rent was covered, that would help?

and the idea of renting makes me cringe a little, almost like throwing money away, but I see what you mean by testing out the area first. I know where I want to live, it's just a matter of finding something affordable and be as close to the city as possible.
I am not much of a renter either but I would hate for you to move over there and not be in the right place.

Will your company cover rent??? WOW! Can I come???

Old 06-09-2009, 06:04 PM

I'm in my 30's, and yes, the accents are utterly delicious!! I just don't want to get back a year later (if I come back ), and find that I have missed out on the current tax breaks and rate deals??

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
How old are you? I'd pick going to the UK to work in a heartbeat! And they speak English with that lovely Brit accent! Plus it'd be so easy to visit the other European states. You only live once. Buying a house in the US can wait.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
I'm in my 30's, and yes, the accents are utterly delicious!! I just don't want to get back a year later (if I come back ), and find that I have missed out on the current tax breaks and rate deals??
The economy, all it's perils, and potential opportunitities will be here when you get back...not to worry

Old 06-09-2009, 06:07 PM

ha! sure why not!!! Actually, though the company won't cover rent in the UK, so I would be paying it myself, and I doubt I could comfortably afford rent in the UK and a house payment in the US, if I rented it out, it would have to cover the mortgage payment, so I would only be paying rent in the UK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
I am not much of a renter either but I would hate for you to move over there and not be in the right place.

Will your company cover rent??? WOW! Can I come???

Old 06-09-2009, 06:09 PM

25,899 posts, read 42,809,235 times
I think housing prices will stay low for a while. They might rise but it won't be anything like the boom from a few years ago.

I spent a semester in England as an exchange student in college. One of the best experiences of my life. I think you're very sensible for considering your possible expenses, because some things are very costly over there (gas, for instance--WAY more than here). But if you can afford it and can afford to come back if it doesn't work out, I think you should do it.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:11 PM

25,899 posts, read 42,809,235 times
I would not buy a house now and hope to keep it rented to cover the mortgage payment, though. Too risky. You don't want to spend your emergency going-home money on busted pipes or something. And if you can't find a tenant, you're screwed. The economy is wonky right now ... even very stable renters are breaking their leases in places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships