Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 08:10 PM

324 posts, read 863,601 times

Advertisements

I would go in a heartbeat. That opportunity may never come up again. Who knows you may love it and decide to live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 08:39 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,769,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
Ok, on a lighter note from my past posts, I'd like to get a consensus on an interesting opportunity that has been on the back burner.
I have the chance to work in the UK, my job is in demand there. I think it would be a great opportunity for me, I have never been to the UK and I love to travel. This would be for at least a year. Financially, it will be a bit of a challenge that while I will be making decent money based on their local wages, I will have more expenses (rent, higher taxes, etc) to consider and maybe not as much "disposable" income to travel around Europe or whatever. Ok, the other thing is I also want to buy a house. I am currently working of paying off debts so I can buy a home with little to no debt.
The issue I'm having is, 1) should I just go to the UK, have a wonderful experience or 2) buy a home first? I'm afraid I may miss tax benefits or rate decreases, etc. and when I get back, the housing market will be back to "normal" with no deals or breaks to be had??

Any thoughts?
p.s.- I considered buying a home and renting it out while I was gone, but if disaster strikes, it will be so hard to solve anything while overseas.
WW

So many responses and noone's expressing concerns? LOL

This is the "best" time to move into the UK. Have you been following the Brit press lately?

Britain (London) is generally considered the financial heart of Europe. They were pretty pumped up in the nineties with the investment banking/insurance boom.

Right now, Britian is in a deeper recession than the US. The NHS is on the verge of collapse. Lloyds is closing several branches, that's the word. And billions of pounds in unpaid taxes.

I won't budge if my employer is not paying/re-imbursing everything, lady.

It's also "hyper-expensive" unless otherwise you are okay with living with the East-enders

Old 06-09-2009, 08:40 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,278,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post
WW

This is the "best" time to move into the UK. Have you been following the Brit press lately?

Britain (London) is generally considered the financial heart of Europe. They were pretty pumped up in the nineties with the investment banking/insurance boom.

Right now, Britian is in a deeper recession than the US. The NHS is on the verge of collapse. Lloyds is closing several branches, that's the word. And billions of pounds in unpaid taxes.

It's also "hyper-expensive" unless otherwise you are okay with living with the East-enders
Buzz kill....

Old 06-09-2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Buzz kill....
Sorry mrstewart, hate to be the killjoy, but I'm a pragmatist. I sure love the Brit countryside, the whisk-ferrying across the channel into millions of Euro castles and the like.

But, money, money, money, money, money. The world economy is at its best shape for a trans-atlantic move.

Waiting for the storm to pass and then setting sail is always safe, depending on whether you are rafting or own a 100-sail frigate

Old 06-09-2009, 08:47 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,262,086 times
Quote:
WW

Well, all that it is. And over there the cameras even yell at people... However, having the opportunity to experience a different lifestyle and culture is once-in-a-lifetime chance for many people. Also, as small as Europe is and as good deals as there are on local carriers, she can go all over the continent during this year.

Their security camera's yell at people?? I thought having a PA system on my car would be fun "Get the hell out of my way", that sort of thing...never thought about a camera talking!

Old 06-09-2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Well, all that it is. And over there the cameras even yell at people... However, having the opportunity to experience a different lifestyle and culture is once-in-a-lifetime chance for many people. Also, as small as Europe is and as good deals as there are on local carriers, she can go all over the continent during this year.

Their security camera's yell at people?? I thought having a PA system on my car would be fun "Get the hell out of my way", that sort of thing...never thought about a camera talking!
She's the final judge, anyway. Besides, none of us know the "exact" situation better than her.

But when people paint a rosy picture of Britain struggling in the worst recession in several decades, there is a problem

It's also on capital and backstage support. There should be an exit strategy for the worst case scenario.

And I'm also sure everyone's aware of the number of paupers three years of recession have generated.

Caution!

I moved to America in a jiff and my father was always there to throw his immense wealth behind my back.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:10 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,748,685 times
Quote:
Sorry mrstewart, hate to be the killjoy, but I'm a pragmatist. I sure love the Brit countryside, the whisk-ferrying across the channel into millions of Euro castles and the like.

But, money, money, money, money, money. The world economy is at its best shape for a trans-atlantic move.

Waiting for the storm to pass and then setting sail is always safe, depending on whether you are rafting or own a 100-sail frigate
She says she can come back in 6 months. "Be bold and mighty forces will come to your aid." She really has nothing to lose; she's in her 30s and been offered a job. So she starves for 6 months. Kidding! I say go for it! Security can come later. I've seen so many lives wasted because of fear of finances. And the way the economy is in Britain, she's lucky she has the opportunity when so many have not.

Make hay while the sun shines; it won't shine forever.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:10 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,262,086 times
Quote:
She's the final judge, anyway. Besides, none of us know the "exact" situation better than her.

But when people paint a rosy picture of Britain struggling in the worst recession in several decades, there is a problem
Of course she's the final judge. There's nothing rosy pretty much anywhere and England is even ahead of the US in many highly irritating ways. It's only a year, though... pretty much like an extended vacation.

Quote:
I moved to America in a jiff and my father was always there to throw his immense wealth behind my back.
Now that's a sweet deal!

Old 06-09-2009, 10:00 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,710,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
I'm in my 30's, and yes, the accents are utterly delicious!! I just don't want to get back a year later (if I come back ), and find that I have missed out on the current tax breaks and rate deals??
It always makes me laugh when people say stuff like this. On their deathbed they'll be like "wow I'm so glad I missed that year in England and took that $8000 tax credit instead!".

Old 06-09-2009, 10:06 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,710,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I think housing prices will stay low for a while. They might rise but it won't be anything like the boom from a few years ago.
Being in the market trying to get together a nice down payment myself, I don't think there is any hurry at the moment. Prices are perhaps going to go even lower and it will take years for the economy to recover to some normalcy. Interest rates will probably rise over time though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships