Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 10:57 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,681,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynec613 View Post
I looked at that thing, some might be great, but I'd rather see a M:F singles ratio number if I were truly going to move some where with any of that in mind.
This might be of help to you.

The New, Interactive Singles Map. Or, Looking for Love in All the Statistically Wrong Places.

But there's a catch. Although it makes it look like the east favors men and the west favors women, when you adjust for age, things even out more. I restricted to 25-39 and only 7 cities have more women than men. But it's all relative. Some cities aren't as heavily skewed towards men as others are. When I adjusted for age, Man Jose has 83 more single men per 1000 people whereas St. Louis has 7 more. You're still at a disadvantage if your a man looking in this age group, but if you're just going by numbers, you're better off with St. Louis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 06:08 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,430,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
While people might be more likely to be married in those states you mentioned, the people are friendlier. I took a long road trip a couple of years ago. The two states, by far where the most women flirted with me were Arkansas and Oklahoma. The women treated me like I was a catch. When I was in one of those bigger cities that they say are so good for singles I become invisible.
That makes a lot of sense! as a female, I have noticed that in more suburban areas, the men are nicer and know more what they want, even if there are less of them and less things for singles to do. but I can't speak for much since I have only traveled to a few places in this country, most of which were big areas. However, Tucson AZ is in a league of its own..lots of men, however they're all chickens. turn off. haha

Old 06-11-2009, 06:13 PM

Quote:
The reason most towns have a higher ratio of females is simply because women outlive men and there are a lot of widows.

But if you look at the population under age 50 it becomes a lot more even, with several cities having a large surplus of men.

I was just looking at a breakdown of this subject and I can very much see why people call San Jose "Man Jose". It does indeed have the highest ratio of males of any large city. Single females should easily be able to find a man there, especially if they like IT nerds!

Other cities with a high ratio of males include Phoenix AZ, Bakersfield CA, San Diego CA, Las Vegas NV, Reno NV, Salem OR and Austin TX. Although they weren't included in the survey I always heard Alaska has a huge ratio of males, especially outside Anchorage.
Makes sense about the more even ratio in younger ages! I work in a retirement home as a server and there are loooots more women at that age than there are men. I think there must be a 5:1 female to male ratio or something.

and IT nerds can be hot as long as they do things besides work their life away and video games all day and also have social intelligience on top of academic intelligience. I mean SJ is in sunny california..plenty to do outside! and outdoorsy men are way hot! lol

Old 06-11-2009, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
Why is LA a bad place to be single? I had a great time in El Lay as a single man.
haha!! my high school english teacher called it EL Lay too!

anyways, exactly! for a man, its a wonderful place to date! millions of hot women to choose from. however for me anyways, any hot man I saw was ugly on the inside (well most) if I was lucky enough to spot an attractive man that didn't look too metro or pretty..but I guess the ugly personality factor is same for the women there too. I just had a hard time in general out there, my only friends were my roommates (sad I know) and I usually make friends everywhere I go in no time too so it was rough..hence why I left. Oddly, the money wasn't why I left El Lay!

Old 06-11-2009, 07:47 PM

670 posts, read 2,118,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
This might be of help to you.

The New, Interactive Singles Map. Or, Looking for Love in All the Statistically Wrong Places.

But there's a catch. Although it makes it look like the east favors men and the west favors women, when you adjust for age, things even out more. I restricted to 25-39 and only 7 cities have more women than men. But it's all relative. Some cities aren't as heavily skewed towards men as others are. When I adjusted for age, Man Jose has 83 more single men per 1000 people whereas St. Louis has 7 more. You're still at a disadvantage if your a man looking in this age group, but if you're just going by numbers, you're better off with St. Louis.
Boy, that was depressing. When I moved it up to age 40, all I saw was "red" everywhere. No wonder so many 40 something and older females on here are complaining about not being able to meet someone.

Old 06-12-2009, 01:35 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,681,100 times
When I restricted to just people in their 30s, it was blue everywhere. Guess if I'm still single in my 40s and only looking for people in their 40s, I'll have an advantage.

Old 06-12-2009, 01:38 PM

1,293 posts, read 3,196,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
When I restricted to just people in their 30s, it was blue everywhere. Guess if I'm still single in my 40s and only looking for people in their 40s, I'll have an advantage.
Did 25-34 myself...man, that's depressing.

Montgomery Alabama here I come! Sweet home Alabama indeed.

Old 06-12-2009, 01:50 PM

1,776 posts, read 4,012,135 times
Yes! Philly made the list- #22.

I think it's a good place to meet women- you got everything from cosmopolitan to hoodrat.

Old 06-12-2009, 02:02 PM

1,293 posts, read 3,196,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
Yes! Philly made the list- #22.

I think it's a good place to meet women- you got everything from cosmopolitan to hoodrat.
Just sucks that it isn't a bit closer, every woman I've dated has been living in the philly area... The one really good one I had was originally from Pittsburgh though, just visiting her parents was a nice long, boring ass drive.

Last edited by Waynec613; 06-12-2009 at 02:12 PM..

Old 07-04-2009, 07:25 AM

20 posts, read 54,074 times
Quote:
While people might be more likely to be married in those states you mentioned, the people are friendlier. I took a long road trip a couple of years ago. The two states, by far where the most women flirted with me were Arkansas and Oklahoma. The women treated me like I was a catch. When I was in one of those bigger cities that they say are so good for singles I become invisible.

I hear what your saying Jay F, when I took a trip to Oklahoma a couple of years ago, the women were very friendly to me and seemed interested in me. When I am in a big city, I become invisable to women!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships