Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 12:17 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,171,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
But then, many women on the forum have equated "Friends with benefits" as being the first category - only sex.

I'm just looking for more insight into the nature of committment, and how it colors women's view of relationships. It seems to me that many women would prefer a miserable committment to a happy non-committment.

Does the official status of having "Committed" take priority over the actual day-to-day composition of the relationship?

I think what happens is that men can deal with these types of relationships where there is no real commitment, and women start to develop feelings and have expectations so I think what happens in these situations is the woman usually gets to the point where she pushes for the committment and says what are we doing here???? Not sure if that helps...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 12:20 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,514,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onegreatnurse View Post
Agreed, in fact, one said I'm looking for something serious, why don't you give me a call...actally I texted him and he said when are we gonna do it?? I thought...is it me???

He was probably married like the rest of them.
I had one calling me, and everytime, there was this sound that got louder and louder in the background. When I said, "What the heck is that?" It went away. Never came back. He claimed to not know what it was. I asked if he turned or moved, or if he had had me on a speaker. Nothing, he claimed.

The next time, same thing, and when I pointed it out, the sound was gone. I said, "Okay, this is two times, what are you doing?" He claimed he had no idea. I said, "that's too coincidental that the sound goes away the minute I ask what it is." He said, "Oh, you must be magical and have the power to make it go away." I said, "Bye."

Old 06-15-2009, 12:21 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
So what would you call it when two people are casual sex partners, do almost everything that couples do, see each other daily, just haven't made a committment to one another?
It's a relationship, just not a committed one.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:21 PM

I have more moron stories if you want to hear them.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
It's a relationship, just not a committed one.

How can it be a relationship? Neither of them care enough to call it one.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:24 PM

Quote:
I think what happens is that men can deal with these types of relationships where there is no real commitment, and women start to develop feelings and have expectations so I think what happens in these situations is the woman usually gets to the point where she pushes for the committment and says what are we doing here???? Not sure if that helps...

Unfortunately we women want our sex with love and men don't seem to need love.
It isn't that we can't go and do sex without love, but we want a partner, not a sex buddy.
But I do know men really don't want marriage. It took me a lifetime to understand and accept that one.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:34 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
How can it be a relationship? Neither of them care enough to call it one.
How do you know they don't care or how much? What if neither wants a commitment?

There are several reasons why people don't commit. It isn't necessarily because they are selfish or don't care for the other. And there are relationships of all kinds. Two people who are committed to each other are not the only ones capable of having a relationship.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:36 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,171,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
He was probably married like the rest of them.
I had one calling me, and everytime, there was this sound that got louder and louder in the background. When I said, "What the heck is that?" It went away. Never came back. He claimed to not know what it was. I asked if he turned or moved, or if he had had me on a speaker. Nothing, he claimed.

The next time, same thing, and when I pointed it out, the sound was gone. I said, "Okay, this is two times, what are you doing?" He claimed he had no idea. I said, "that's too coincidental that the sound goes away the minute I ask what it is." He said, "Oh, you must be magical and have the power to make it go away." I said, "Bye."
Nah, don't think he's married, he's just 28 and looking for free sex without doing any work whatsoever, pretty typical is what I say...

Old 06-15-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
How do you know they don't care or how much? What if neither wants a commitment?

There are several reasons why people don't commit. It isn't necessarily because they are selfish or don't care for the other. And there are relationships of all kinds. Two people who are committed to each other are not the only ones capable of having a relationship.

When someone cares about someone, they don't want the next person taking them away.
It makes no sense to care about someone, and think they are a real "Find", and then leave the door open so something else can come along.

"Oh gee, I care about you, I really like you, in fact, enough to sleep with you, but...if you meet someone else, go for it...I can't commit to you."

Old 06-15-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Nah, don't think he's married, he's just 28 and looking for free sex without doing any work whatsoever, pretty typical is what I say...

Yes, I think it is laziness over cheapness. I used to think it was cheapness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships