Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 11:36 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering a few things.

1) Do you send out cards, how many a year...im talking about the old fashioned type that come in the mail...

2) How many do you receive each year?

3) Do you ever get or give them when it isnt a birthday or holiday?

4) Do you open the email cards or do you think they have a virus attached?

5) Have you ever had a card that really affected you? details...

Seems we have gotten very impersonal in our technology era and don't reach out much any more. I can't tell you the last letter I got they seemed to vanish when my grandmother died.

*****sorry I left out the <you> in the title and it won't allow an edit to correct******
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 12:19 PM

2,546 posts, read 6,875,361 times
I still mail out cards to friends. I agree technology is so advanced now days that I think people tend to email everything. I think it is still nice to recieve cards in the mail and I think people still appreciate it.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:34 PM

395 posts, read 1,286,918 times
I send out cards for my family and good friends for birthdays and anniversaries. I make cards for my husband for no specific occasion. But I confess that I don’t receive as many as I send out.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:49 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,537,395 times
Up until a couple years ago, I would send one to everybody for their b'day and of course Christmas cards until I realized that I never got any.....I mean NONE.
I just stopped doing it.

I have one SIL who's b'day is a couple of day before mine. She called to tell me she didn't get the card. I said...that's odd...I mailed it the same day I got the one from you! She didn't complain again.

Sad that it's getting to be a lost art. Kudos to those who still do it.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:03 PM

3,047 posts, read 9,033,708 times
i don't do cards! i'm a bad ass.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:31 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,221,727 times
to me those e-cards are garbage, impersonal, lazy, and nothing more than advertisements. I don't consider them personal in any way shape or form. And the people close to me know that.

if someone wants to send me a card a gift, I want the actual card or gift.

For a letter, however, an e-mail is fine. If someone is writing me a personal message or letter it can be delivered by e-mail or paper mail.

Old 01-27-2009, 05:52 PM

303 posts, read 1,386,118 times
I was just thinking about this subject the other day. I always send out Christmas cards as well as Valentines and birthdays. I noticed I got significantly less Christmas cards this year. I agree with another poster who felt e-cards were basically crap. It's still nice to get an actual card mixed in with the bills.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:39 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,251,255 times
I send Christmas cards, birthday cards and gifts, anniversary cards and of course, thank you cards. We also get many cards and gifts throughout the year from family and friends...I love getting a handwritten note and I would like to think others do too!

Old 01-27-2009, 10:06 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,681,129 times
Ditto to Kali's Grandma. This was the first year ever I did not send Christmas cards.

People don't even have a second to acknowlege email letters any more (not forwards, but notes.) It's getting pretty bad. People kept in touch better (at least the ones I've known) much more before all the technology made it beyond convenient. (You'd think it would be the other way around?)

It was easier to reach someone on the land-line telephone back in the day than it is now to get a measly email response.

But I used to LOVE writing letters -- especially when I started to travel a lot -- and sending cards to everyone I knew. I think I mailed over 40 Millinieum New Years cards in 1999. They were just so beautiful, I went nuts. I got one response -- a belated Christmas card.
People are "busy."
(Yacking on their cellphones!)

Old 01-27-2009, 10:12 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,341,101 times
I send out about 50 Christmas Cards. I usually receive about 30.

I used to send birthday cards to my friends but not anymore. Now a quick phone call to say Happy Birthday is my choice of greeting. The only people I send cards to any more are my parents, and one aunt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships