Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 05:04 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,584,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohaha View Post
what should i do
go to the doctor. he/she is the correct person to help you with that. not every brand of pills is good for every woman, etc etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 05:19 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Because anything meant to interfere with Mother Nature's original intentions is never good. Come to think of it, it's a miracle she hasn't shaken us off like fleas yet, as George Carlin used to say.
But mother nature's original intention was that we'd be either pregnant or nursing pretty much our entire child bearing years which means we'd only menstruate when we were breeding. Isn't that what the pill does?

Old 06-13-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWgal View Post
go to the doctor. he/she is the correct person to help you with that. not every brand of pills is good for every woman, etc etc.
Good advice. Family history matters.

Old 06-13-2009, 05:46 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,901,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
the 2 factors involved: suppressing ovulation itself on a continuous basis; and the higher amount of hormones in the body.
I've know plenty of women that when their period would fall at an inconvenient time, would just continue on to the next months packet of pills.

I myself have polycystic ovaries. To my knowledge the BC pill has not been proven to do so, but I myself attribute the fact that so many more women now have this syndrome, to the fact that we try to use drugs to stop ovulation from happening. Note: I am not a medical professional, just someone with a theory.

Old 06-13-2009, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadreamer View Post
I've know plenty of women that when their period would fall at an inconvenient time, would just continue on to the next months packet of pills.

I myself have polycystic ovaries. To my knowledge the BC pill has not been proven to do so, but I myself attribute the fact that so many more women now have this syndrome, to the fact that we try to use drugs to stop ovulation from happening. Note: I am not a medical professional, just someone with a theory.
If I had to guess, I'd say it's because we're starting our periods so young these days. My grandmother and my mom started their periods at 17, I was 14, my daughter was 11. Maybe 11 year old bodies aren't ready for those hormones.

Old 06-13-2009, 06:31 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,901,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
If I had to guess, I'd say it's because we're starting our periods so young these days. My grandmother and my mom started their periods at 17, I was 14, my daughter was 11. Maybe 11 year old bodies aren't ready for those hormones.
Dr's don't seem to think it's related, but I'm not so sure. I didn't start birth control until I was 18 even though I was 11 when my period started. My BFF was 12 and her older sister was nearly 17. We all have PCOS and none of us were on the pill until at least 16. In addition, my BFF did get pregnant in her in her late teen or early twenties, but then later when she tried, found out she then had PCOS.

Old 06-13-2009, 06:45 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
I was on the pill before I got married, but I don't need extra estrogen. I sometimes turn into that giant evil walking vagina from Pink Floyd's The Wall. I thought it would take me awhile to be fertile again whien I stopped taking it. No, I was pregnant a month later.

We wanted two children close together, so I was pregnant again less than a year after our daughter was born. I don't remember what birth control we used at the time, but I do remember that almost immediately after we decided to have another baby, I was pregnant.

I used Depo Provera (the shot) for quite a while after that. Not having a period was great, but it makes me depressed. I gain weight, too.

We stopped using hormone-based birth control for a few years and used rhythm and withdrawal. Not the scientific kind with the thermometers and the sticky test--wow, that's dedication--but the kind where the woman says, "No, this is not a good week. I'm probably ovulating." Every month has a couple of anxious days while you wait for that crimson bell to toll.

Not exactly outstanding results. Now we have three kids. And a vasectomy.

Old 06-13-2009, 06:54 PM

1,091 posts, read 3,592,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post

This is probably just genetic variations (the women on your husband's side of the family may have reached menarche earlier than those on your side, and your daughter probably takes after them).

The average age of menarche in the US has held very steady at about 11.5 since the immediate post-WWII era, the 1940s.

In previous centuries, girls did start later- about 16, on average- but this had to do with the lack of nutritious food and medical care available in those times. Girls were physically much smaller before the 20th century, as well.
Now that girls are so healthy, well-nourished, and free of childhood diseases, they generally start their periods between ages 11 and 12.

That seems to be the threshold, though; as I said, this median age has held steady for over 60 years now.
Scientists believe it's unlikely the median will sink much lower (although of course there are and have always been isolated incidences of girls starting a nine or earlier. These are merely aberrations, however).

Myself, I did not start until nearly 14, and boy was I pissed!
All my friends already had theirs by the time i started.

Old 06-13-2009, 06:59 PM

901 posts, read 2,988,007 times
OP: Check out the planned parenthood website to get an idea of different BC methods. There are other non-hormonal options besides condoms like an IUD or a diaphram.

I was on the pill for a while. I didn't like the way it made me feel. So, I stopped taking it. Do some research and then talk to your doctor.

Birth Control - Planned Parenthood

Old 06-13-2009, 07:56 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
I was on this other brand of birth control pills (forgot the name of it, it wasn't a really well-known brand), but I swear they made me crazy. I wasn't acting like myself. Basically almost like 24/7 PMSing. I started noticing this and switched brands. Now I'm taking ortho tri-cyclen lo, and it's been a lot better. No mood swings or anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships