Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 08:20 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,877,896 times

Advertisements

I was on the pill for more than 20 years with no ill effects whatsoever.

I believe in taking full responsibility for birth control and not relying simply on condoms, although with one bf we used them as well because he also felt responsible.

By the time I got married, it was time to go off the pills and DH had no problem with scheduling an immediate vasectomy. 6 weeks later it was a done deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 10:15 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,979,937 times
I, and so many other men, are still waiting for the male birthcontrol pill, just as we have been for the past forty years...

I am going to get a vasectomy as soon as I am 100% financially situated, after I move to another city later this year. That way, if I ever meet a woman insane/deserate enough to sleep with me, I will have 100% protection. Of course, I will still use a condom, but condoms are still not completely effective and are very unrealiable, and I am in no way shape or form trusting any woman to use some other form of birth control. She can if she wants to, but I am not rolling the dice on her memory and putting my life on the line (which is what a kid would be for me: the end of my life)

So, I'll get fixed just to be on the safe side.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:55 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,053,824 times
Mirena. Five years of worry free birth control.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:23 AM

2,412 posts, read 7,178,364 times
Here's an excellent chart (with links) of various forms of birth control and a depiction of their relative effectiveness: Birth Control Chart

Old 06-14-2009, 09:12 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,384,203 times
I've been on BC for 13 years. I've used the pill, patch, Depo and I'm currently on Nuvaring, which I love! I've had no ill effects, except really clear skin and no surprise pregnancies.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:32 AM

Those who use birth control should not forget that the right to access birth control was a very hard fought one.

There were people who supported laws that made buying birth control illegal. When the Supreme Court struck down such laws as violating the rights of married couples in 1965, there were people who supported laws that made it illegal to buy birth control if you were single -- and states adopted such laws.

And we're not talking ancient history here, folks. It wasn't until 1972 that the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that single people could not be barred from buying birth control. 1972 for pete's sake! (See: Eisenstadt v. Baird - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

The moral of this story: many people take things for granted today that weren't around just a couple of generations ago.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:33 AM

(Duplicate post...sorry)

Old 06-14-2009, 09:35 AM

1,091 posts, read 3,592,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsenator View Post
Those who use birth control should not forget that the right to access birth control was a very hard fought one.

There were people who supported laws that made buying birth control illegal. When the Supreme Court struck down such laws as violating the rights of married couples in 1965, there were people who supported laws that made it illegal to buy birth control if you were single -- and states adopted such laws.

And we're not talking ancient history here, folks. It wasn't until 1972 that the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that single people could not be barred from buying birth control. 1972 for pete's sake! (See:
Eisenstadt v. Baird - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

The moral of this story: many people take things for granted today that weren't around just a couple of generations ago.
Yeah, my aunt told me that before the 70s, doctors got around this by prescribing birth control pills to single women ostensibly for menstrual cramps/ irregularities, acne, and all manner of other maladies having nothing to do with the prevention of pregnancy.
Many young single women took hormonal contraceptives during the 1960s, but they weren't allowed to flat-out ask for pills to prevent pregnancy. There had to be some other excuse for the doctor to prescribe them.

Old 06-14-2009, 12:36 PM

1,863 posts, read 4,299,870 times
Currently I'm on the hope method, but I'm not doing the horizontal mambo with anyone so that is very effective at the moment. :-) Any ladies got the IUD? I don't want to put anymore hormones in my body. I want to get one, but I'm afraid it will hurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I remember reading about a male birth control pill on the horizon but I don't think it's been released yet.
Whew! I hope I'm alive when this is on the market. It's about time men can share in the responsibility of pregnancy prevention. No more "She poked a hole in the condom!". That will be replaced by "She switched my pills with placebos!" LOL.

Seriously though, I hope it levels the playing field a bit.

Old 06-14-2009, 12:40 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,607,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alohaha View Post
and what should i do
you should use it, as much as you can, double up, triple up, at least until you are married and ready to raise children

or what dbl-r said
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships