Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 01:51 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,811,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
If you meet someone on a dating site, and all you have are emails or phone calls, how can they compliment you?

They could say "You sound like a nice person", but to say "Gosh, you sound like the perfect person for me!" is ridiculous. All they have are words on a page.
An online profile can sometimes provide a pretty good insight into a personality, a lot more sitting at a corner in a bar chatting with a guy. Now you could say one could fake a profile. Sure, just like someone who can be a fake in person. That is where email correspondence comes in. There's a lot that can be drawn about a person with the way they say and do things. The question is, are you willing to spend time to figure that out.

Besides emails, I've also seen an assumption that people online may be cheating. In many cases they do, but they also run the risk of getting caught (especially if they post pictures and proper description), a lot more than a person at a bar or a club. Believe me, I'm a guy, and have seen these things happen right around me.

One shouldn't simply dismiss online communication/experience as being inferior or dangerous. The risks are the same. Caution is good. It is also important to be analytical (but not overly) with the realization that it is possible the other person is having difficulty communicating and may not be the very same in person. It certainly happens the other way around, where people pretend to be something they are not in person, so both ways possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 01:54 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,542,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
An online profile can sometimes provide a pretty good insight into a personality, a lot more sitting at a corner in a bar chatting with a guy. Now you could say one could fake a profile. Sure, just like someone who can be a fake in person. That is where email correspondence comes in. There's a lot that can be drawn about a person with the way they say and do things. The question is, are you willing to spend time to figure that out.

Besides emails, I've also seen an assumption that people online may be cheating. In many cases they do, but they also run the risk of getting caught (especially if they post pictures and proper description), a lot more than a person at a bar or a club. Believe me, I'm a guy, and have seen these things happen right around me.

One shouldn't simply dismiss online communication/experience as being inferior or dangerous. The risks are the same. Caution is good. It is also important to be analytical (but not overly) with the realization that it is possible the other person is having difficulty communicating and may not be the very same in person. It certainly happens the other way around, where people pretend to be something they are not in person, so both ways possible.
Well said! Reps to ya!

Old 06-15-2009, 02:00 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,512,705 times
Oh, and you can't know anything about the guy on the road, because you can't go over to his home, you only know what he tells you.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:

Believe me, I am a woman and I have been around these things, to paraphrase you...

I think the risks with online are pretty high. It is very easy for someone to fake or lie. I have had a lot of married men lie to me. Eventually, something came out that made me suspicious. I have had some swear and swear they weren't married, but eventually, it came out that they were.

So, you can be cautious all you want, but some are pretty darn good at lying, since they have had successes with their formulas.

I don't meet anyone in a bar or a club. That's for getting picked up or casual sex. Which is fine if that's what someone wants...

Old 06-15-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
Well said! Reps to ya!
Thank you!
Quote:
Oh, and you can't know anything about the guy on the road, because you can't go over to his home, you only know what he tells you.
Yup. Its work, and also requires patience.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:04 PM

And as far as the marrieds getting caught...they get caught by the person they are trying to deceive. Some are pretty bold and simply don't care.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:07 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,542,767 times
Quote:
And as far as the marrieds getting caught...they get caught by the person they are trying to deceive. Some are pretty bold and simply don't care.
So true. I'd say 95% have actually told me up front. There is clearly a market for it. They really don't need to hide it much these days.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
In those cases, they are usually deceiving two (if not more). And its not just married people, it can be unmarried folks (but in committed relationship) too. I recommend reading people and their behavior before committing self to them. This goes for ladies as well as for guys. Figuring out if there is more than physical attraction because that alone will not help if one is looking for good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
So true. I'd say 95% have actually told me up front. There is clearly a market for it. They really don't need to hide it much these days.
I would assume that has always been the case, except that we now have more ways to meet people. Clearly, there are women who buy into their ways, so they will do it, even if success rate is 100:1 or worse. I personally knew someone who was emotionally attached to a married guy and she had her weird reasons which have not helped her stabilize her personal life either.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:20 PM

496 posts, read 940,956 times
You must send some darn good emails! Wow!

Or else he's incarcerated and doesn't have many other pen pals.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
In those cases, they are usually deceiving two (if not more). And its not just married people, it can be unmarried folks (but in committed relationship) too. I recommend reading people and their behavior before committing self to them. This goes for ladies as well as for guys. Figuring out if there is more than physical attraction because that alone will not help if one is looking for good.

I would assume that has always been the case, except that we now have more ways to meet people. Clearly, there are women who buy into their ways, so they will do it, even if success rate is 100:1 or worse. I personally knew someone who was emotionally attached to a married guy and she had her weird reasons which have not helped her stabilize her personal life either.

I'm a bit older than you, and I have seen much more. Some of what you are telling me goes without saying. I think the whole discussion was trying to rachet a step up from the obvious....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships