Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 05:02 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,382,376 times

Advertisements

this question is kind of two-fold. I really like this woman who works in HR at the company I work at. but I don't know what to say to get to know her, or even ask her out sometime. Now, i know work relationships aren't always advisable, but is the fact she works in HR a prudent course for me?

And the second point, I see this woman a lot, and i sometimes think sexy thoughts. Is it bad to think this way? I know a person can think anything, but do women think sexy thoughts about men?

I like this woman a lot, and really want to get to know her better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 05:09 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,434,404 times
Very bad idea to date someone you work with. If things go sour then you are stuck working with her, and things will be awkward. If you ask her out and she shoots you down things will be mega-awkward.

Old 06-16-2009, 05:27 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,700,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
this question is kind of two-fold. I really like this woman who works in HR at the company I work at. but I don't know what to say to get to know her, or even ask her out sometime. Now, i know work relationships aren't always advisable, but is the fact she works in HR a prudent course for me?

And the second point, I see this woman a lot, and i sometimes think sexy thoughts. Is it bad to think this way? I know a person can think anything, but do women think sexy thoughts about men?

Who cares about the HR thing...

Most people will recommend approaching her and saying "hi". While you have a chance, it's not your best odds. Odds further decrease if she's "out of your league" or if you don't generally don't feel confident around a woman. If you screw up your one and only chance on this, you probably blew it forever. Your best odds is to somehow arrange office outing with multiple people...If you know anyone in HR, invite them and tell them to be sure to invite everyone and to give you a headcount of who's going. If you don't know anyone in HR, I'd send her a couple other people from HR an invitation email. Even if she says no, the initial contact has been established.

With this method (if she goes out), she expecting to talk to people so that's one hurdle. The best part is if you get yourself in a bind, you can always say, "I'm going to grab another drink" giving yourself multiple attempts to try and hit it off and "strike when the iron's hot" for a date, lol. If alcohol is involved it'll also lower her guard; thus the reason guys try and pick up girls at bars...Good luck...

Old 06-16-2009, 05:33 PM
ttz

677 posts, read 1,666,249 times
I would try to establish rapport first. Look at her first, and when she looks back smile. Do this a few times so whe knows you exist. If it looks like she is approachable (she smiles back) I would try to make small talk with her. Keep it low key since you do work with her, no rush. After a while find an opportune time to take it to the next level and chat more, to eventually asking her out for a drink or something.

Remember, after talking to her a few times, and you see her out and about at your company you can approach her and make small talk, outside the HR office! (which is a smart move)

Good luck!

Old 06-16-2009, 05:44 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,078,334 times
wow how do you know she is not married or has a b/f or engaged ? that is really a bad idea to mess with someone you work with . why dont you get out and meet some other people instead of ppl you work with and office liasons hardly ever work out . i would say forget this idea you have and find someone else to date that way neither one of you has to quit your job cause it is too uncomfortable .

Old 06-16-2009, 05:47 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,898,387 times
Just ask her out!!! If you lose your job, you should be able to find another one asap in this economy...lol

Old 06-16-2009, 08:28 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,058,915 times
Quote:

Dude, probably HR is the worst dept. to date into. Just say "no" to office romance...if you must, date someone, preferably at your pay grade or higher, from a completely different department, where you have no professional interaction at all.

Or, simpler plan, just don't do it!

Old 06-16-2009, 08:37 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,038,884 times
Quote:

I say, to make things easy on yourself make sure you are well groomed and hit the gym. I was on a collage campus the other day (looking for a gym) minding my own business and a sexy girl on a cell phone singled me out and made sure I would notice her. D#m, it was flattering as she was pretty hot with her tight jeans and sandals on.

Old 06-17-2009, 02:09 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,947,750 times
Quote:

Well, I would jokingly ask if she has any job openings that would get you to work closer to her.

If she laughs and plays along with your flirty style, you're in. If not, your wasting your time. You can tell immediately if she is interested in you. I have however, seen guys chase the girl for along time till she caves in and dates him. I wouldn't recommend that.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:07 PM

1,293 posts, read 3,189,368 times
Quote:

First point:
You don't directly work with her day to day, so you can be prudent and not directly ask unless more than minor interest is shown if you're not comfortable with it. As previously stated you could ask her if she wants to join an after hours get together with other co-workers and such. I asked a co-worker here out DIRECTLY that I practically drooled at secretly as she walked past, didn't work out (which was my fault for being a dumbass at the time), but no repercussions occurred really as I don't have to see her much. Just chalk it up to experience, smile, say hi, move on.

And if you listen to the re-re's here that say don't ever date anyone you work with/around you'll probably end up as eefed as they are.

Second point:
Can't answer how a certain woman feels, but they usually don't think "sexy", they think closeness with an individual that leads to "sexy" IMO.
It's not "wrong", it's wrong to show it outwardly in any obsessive or demeaning fashion however. This should be a given.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships