Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 07:24 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,481,805 times

Advertisements

To me, it's a "your mileage may vary" thing. If it works for others, great. Me- not so much.

After 4 years of dating, and 4 years of marriage, my now ex-wife simply told me one night, "I want a divorce. I've changed. You've changed. I'm not happy anymore." That was it- no prior efforts to communicate her unhappiness, no attempts at counseling- no nothing. For how my marriage ended, it turned out to be literally worth no more than the paper the marriage certificate was printed on.

That's not to say that I don't want to find some amazing woman that I feel so crazy about and comfortable with that I want to spend the rest of my life with her. I do. But from my experience, making that relationship a marriage would mean absolutely nothing to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2007, 07:33 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,733,418 times
Default I think you have been given a lot of bum dope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annihilator_ View Post
In my opinion, pass the rest of your life with the same person would be soooo boring...
-I mean, have *** with the same person so many times all over the years wouldn´t be exciting.
-His/her family and their opinions about you...
-Children.Lot of responsability.No time for you.
-Lots of marriage-preoccupations (The car,the house...)
- And a loooong etc .
I dont believe in marriage.I dont believe in the "eternal" union of two persons for the rest of their lifes.
You know, one thing is have a boy/girlfriend and pass some time together.After a few months forget the girl and the "adventure" and begin another new.

Whats your opinion?

Freedom of marriage?
If you read thru this thread you would be left with the impression that the only way you will ever be happy is you MUST get married. Pure bunk. I never been married (nothing legal) and I have basically been happy all my life.

It really depends on what you want? You are basically not inventing anything new, all been done before, might be called the four F's theory by some folks.

I would offer this advice.

If you are not really interested in being a daddy, marriage doesn't offer all that much. You can have the same thing in just an agreement, BF - GF type thing. You don't even have to live with them, in some cases that is better.

Life come in stages, what might be right in one stage, might be wrong in another stage. For a man, you got a huge span to get married. Even well into your 30's or even much older; you are just getting warmed up. What is the big hurry???

Depending on your occupation / lifestyle many of those choices have staggering divorce rates. Maybe always best to be single in some fashion. Lots of examples. I have known all sorts of guys who never got married. They were not gay, not weird, just sort of snuck by that "Marrying Age". Things like the Merchant Marine, military, cops, jobs where you travel a lot, etc. After a while you start to be more critical in your choices, plus you usually have seen a lot of failures by folks you know. Good number of women may also never get married, for all sorts of reasons.

Some guys just do not fit into that mold of home every night, same general routine, minor details of a ho hum life style, doing the paycheck thing, getting the white house with the picket fence. So you have to know what really drives your choices. Lot of them may totally hate all that in-law outlaws type thing. Just all the details of what way too many married men endure. Never had huge appeal to me.

Also it probably doesn't work getting married to somebody who basically is not compatible with you. In another thread I listed like 10 things to look for. You also have to be able to definite what all that means. I am only probably truly compatible with a relatively small percentage of all women. No sense trying to pair me up with just some dame, might not even make a good GF. You can still sort of have something like marriage with very long term relationships of some type, lot of guys who never marry do something like this. All sorts of ways to skin the same cat.

Like JBrown, said they might be married, just not to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown View Post
I'm all in favor of marriage...not for me mind you. Tried that..got out of it years ago and never looked back . I'm all in favor of married women. I much prefer dating married women ....much less hassle then young single airheads.
The sex thing gets figured out pretty quick, no matter the type relationship, tho I think a guy that never marries gets laid a lot more in some type relationship than most married guys.

Things change. I never wanted nothing to do with any kids. But in my old neighborhood I wound up playing more with kids than their bio dads. Played catch, basketball, frizbee, etc. Had loads of fun, some their dads never did nothing with them, they always came over to see me. You can change how you look at things. I doubt I could ever do it in that "Standard Format", everything in routine, ritual and mindless detail, with everything agreed to a zillion times. I've seen peeps around me, supposely happy married do nothing but rag each other all day. Yeah, I could maybe be married one day, but in a totally different set of operating rules. None of this fussing and nagging and mindless small detail management.

Like most debates situations get set up to be either black or white. Your real solution might be some shade of gray with that shade changing for a while until you finally decide what really floats your boat. I am not a big fan in the modern World of anybody getting married at too young an age. In your case you might want to be solidly into some good career choice long before thinking too much about marriage. Maybe even try the married women for practice. Might want to try the older lady, try out some other combos, see what feels good. I would avoid the standard methods if they did not fit me. Lots of very short term relationships can be a bit wearing after a while, plus way to much STD's around. Bed jumping is fun for a particular stage. I do think you need a better focus.

Old 04-17-2007, 08:41 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,789,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annihilator_ View Post
I was married...(one year).
I´m 22.
Case closed.
Actually, after reading through all the posts, this person is a TROLL!!!
I mean, NOBODY has grammar that bad!! He caveman I mean c'mon people! Hell-O!
If NAH wasn't real...In fact...! Hmmmm! Think about it!
By the way - not to offend, but don't y'all think that's kind of childish to "cheat" in a forum? (That's not very respectful & if your husband deserves that then maybe there's something wrong there...)
Not judging, but I find that kind of tacky...

Last edited by elfyum; 04-17-2007 at 08:59 PM..

Old 04-17-2007, 08:58 PM

341 posts, read 1,487,102 times
I'm married. There's a certain ease & comfort with the same old same old. Ha! BUT, if something happens to him or my marriage, I will never remarry. It's alot of work being married. I believe I am truelly comfortable with myself and would be ready to explore my world unmarried. And dammit I'd decorate the bathroom with as much foo foo as I wanted to!

Old 04-17-2007, 09:20 PM

373 posts, read 1,853,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I don't want to scare you, but if you don't think there are consequences from this life style then go ahead. Why did you even ask the question in the first place, looks like you're going to sleep around no matter what anyone says.
Perhaps Annihilator wasn't posing this as a religious question but rather a matter of everyday practical preference. There are people in the world that don't turn every conversation into a religious one.

Old 04-17-2007, 09:31 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,647,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshvo View Post
I want one more child and my husband doesn't really....can you be my baby's daddy? I think I might need to get divorced and remarried
Take a number. It seems everyone wants to get in Rance's pants!

Old 04-17-2007, 09:38 PM

208 posts, read 645,399 times
Marriage...

M,,Meeting ones soul mate..
A,,Always truth, respect,and loayitly
R,,Rumor has it, Rough times brings you closer, (true)
R..Remain loyal makes for a strong marriage
I..No room for I when married
A.Average s*x, no more, the years winks new ways,spots, etc. (Italian here)
G..Grace to god, for watching over this marriage and family.
E.,,Endless love.

Old 04-17-2007, 10:07 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,829,023 times
Hey that is nice freeedom. And I'm pretty sure no one is trying to get into my pants zonababe! Are they OMG

Perhaps some teasing...all in fun!
I'm pretty sure no one would accept a marriage proposal on a forum...and I would have just a little more class and send an e-mail!

Old 04-17-2007, 10:28 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,550,899 times
I've seen marriages that have thrived, but they're outnumbered by the divorces I've also seen. I would like to have the party and the cake, but not sign a legal document binding me to someone else for the rest of my life! I'll have a non-wedding! Yes, that'll work... Now, if I could only find a suitable non-groom!

Old 04-17-2007, 10:30 PM

2,218 posts, read 5,395,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I've seen marriages that have thrived, but they're outnumbered by the divorces I've also seen. I would like to have the party and the cake, but not sign a legal document binding me to someone else for the rest of my life! I'll have a non-wedding! Yes, that'll work... Now, if I could only find a suitable non-groom!
Hmmm... Non-groom... I might know someone that you could talk too. :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships