Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 08:45 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,643,526 times

Advertisements

As a single person who's never been married, I'm fascinated with how certain people find someone to marry them. Every now and then, I'll meet or just see someone and think to myself, "Why would anyone in their right mind marry you?" I don't mean this in terms of looks. Obviously, some of us aren't as hung up on looks as others are. What I'm talking about is personality. Maybe you meet a woman who's a total B or a guy who's a total A and discover they're married and you're left scratching your head as to what kind of person would want to be married to them. In this world where people constantly complain that it's hard to meet quality people, I find it ironic that some of the most unlikable people can find someone to not only date them, but actually marry them.

I would love to hear your stories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 08:53 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
As a single person who's never been married, I'm fascinated with how certain people find someone to marry them. Every now and then, I'll meet or just see someone and think to myself, "Why would anyone in their right mind marry you?" I don't mean this in terms of looks. Obviously, some of us aren't as hung up on looks as others are. What I'm talking about is personality. Maybe you meet a woman who's a total B or a guy who's a total A and discover they're married and you're left scratching your head as to what kind of person would want to be married to them. In this world where people constantly complain that it's hard to meet quality people, I find it ironic that some of the most unlikable people can find someone to not only date them, but actually marry them.

My friends cheat on their husbands right in front of me. I have never cheated in my life. In my eyes, they don't deserve to be married...b/c if they are going to cheat like that, clearly they don't value it. I want to get married more than anything in this world...and I am someone who believes in love and takes it seriously...and then there are people like my friends who think it's ok to do whatever they want when they want.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:56 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times
Unexpected pregnancies probably account for about half of those marriages. Lonliness and/or desperation might play a big part too. Some folks would rather be with anyone as opposed to being alone. I've known friends who will invite people out to the movies or shopping that they really don't like just so they aren't alone. It doesn't surprise me that some folks would settle for less. Then there are those who just like to be kept or treated badly. It takes all kinds.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:04 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
I know what you mean, but in many cases the person may have changed over the course of the marriage and/or put up a good facade to "snag" their mate.

I do know a particular person who is a hopeless perpetual unemployed homeless alcoholic. He has been married for a short time several times. This last marriage produced 5 kids which are now being rasied by his mom. Sad.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:14 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,053,824 times
I work with a BUNCH of people, and I ask myself that same question, about them all the time... Especially some of the WEIRDO faculty that work here....

Old 07-09-2009, 09:16 AM

3,219 posts, read 6,582,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Mizz Pittsburgh View Post
I work with a BUNCH of people, and I ask myself that same question, about them all the time... Especially some of the WEIRDO faculty that work here....
Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:18 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,702,516 times
Marriage for the overwhelming majority is the lesser of two evils...

Old 07-09-2009, 09:47 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,955,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post
Marriage for the overwhelming majority is the lesser of two evils...
huh.....what?

Anyways....

I dated a girl back in high school. She didn't bath very often and my sister told me she was strange for that reason. Well, I dated her. She was nasty to me. She did clean up the cleanliness problem though after I bought her a bar of soap....no...just kiddin bout that. Ummm, she was a girl who wore her emotions on her sleeve. She'd let you know whatever was on her mind. I was the shy guy who did whatever. Pretty easy going.

What was the question on here again?? Oh yeah!!!

Ummm. I then broke up with her before we both went to college. Well, I looked her up the other day on the internet and she is living in Chicago alone. Not married. That was absolutely no surprise to me at all.

Wait! Am I gettin off the subject a bit....are you still reading this?! Sorry. Brain cramp. I get them alot.

I get told that alot. "You got someone to marry you!?!?!?" I say, "Yeah, I just got her really drunk."

Old 07-09-2009, 09:49 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post

After 20 years (anniversary was yesterday) I still can't figure it out. Neither of us are unlikable (it's true!), but we are not at all alike. That's supposed to make for a great match, but I dunno.....

Old 07-09-2009, 09:55 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
After 20 years (anniversary was yesterday) I still can't figure it out. Neither of us are unlikable (it's true!), but we are not at all alike. That's supposed to make for a great match, but I dunno.....
Well congratulations on your 20 year anniversary...I think Seriously, you guys must be doing something right to make it that far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships