Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 10:30 AM

64 posts, read 161,703 times

Advertisements

I had never heard of Dr.laura before but i just googled her..
horrible to think people like that not only exist but make money out of being..well, I wont say what I think she is because there is no chance it would get past the censor!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 03:35 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,866,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I overhead someone recently say about unmarried couples who live together.

"The woman is an unpaid *****."

I'm like WTF?????

I'll post my opinion as soon as some of the good folks of CD express theirs.
What if instead, he was paying too much?

Old 07-13-2009, 03:38 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,342,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
I see the comment as a self-righteous moral judgment. I wouldn't try to interpret it using any objective rationale.
Exactly.

Old 07-13-2009, 03:40 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,180,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I overhead someone recently say about unmarried couples who live together.

"The woman is an unpaid *****."

I'm like WTF?????

I'll post my opinion as soon as some of the good folks of CD express theirs.
It basically means that you are giving away your most "valued possession" without the benefit of any commitment from the man in your life. You are giving away the milk, rather than waiting until your honey buys the cow.

A woman who lives without a man without the benefit of vows, commitment, etc., are providing free use of their body without the requirement of respect or the common courtesy afforded by being wed.

Listen to Dr. Laura (or buy any book that she has written), for more information.

And yeah, I agree with her 100 percent. If a man respects you, honors you, LOVES YOU, he will not have any problem with commitment. If you are with a man who will not commit to marriage, then you are better off moving on and finding someone who will.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-13-2009, 03:50 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,033,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
It basically means that you are giving away your most "valued possession" without the benefit of any commitment from the man in your life. You are giving away the milk, rather than waiting until your honey buys the cow.

A woman who lives without a man without the benefit of vows, commitment, etc., are providing free use of their body without the requirement of respect or the common courtesy afforded by being wed.

Listen to Dr. Laura (or buy any book that she has written), for more information.

And yeah, I agree with her 100 percent. If a man respects you, honors you, LOVES YOU, he will not have any problem with commitment. If you are with a man who will not commit to marriage, then you are better off moving on and finding someone who will.

20yrsinBranson
Really. So, sex is only loving and proper if it's LICENSED by the government, like a pack of cigarettes?! The same government that is deeply in debt and can't manage its affairs in a proper and efficacious manner?!

Gee, oh wise one -- Just how did people manage before the government decided it needed to license unions and before religious groups decided they needed to witness vows? You DO know that people setting up housekeeping went on for many thousands of years before "traditional marriage" was invented, right?

As for Dr. Laura, she operates like she has completely forgotten about the nude pictures she posed for that were printed in a magazine. Yep, I'd take advice from her -- NOT.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:08 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,685,867 times
Talking Ms. Teatime...I Think I love Ya!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Really. So, sex is only loving and proper if it's LICENSED by the government, like a pack of cigarettes?! The same government that is deeply in debt and can't manage its affairs in a proper and efficacious manner?!

Gee, oh wise one -- Just how did people manage before the government decided it needed to license unions and before religious groups decided they needed to witness vows? You DO know that people setting up housekeeping went on for many thousands of years before "traditional marriage" was invented, right?

As for Dr. Laura, she operates like she has completely forgotten about the nude pictures she posed for that were printed in a magazine. Yep, I'd take advice from her -- NOT.
I remember you from back in the Politics forum, and I see the fire hasn't gone out yet!

My wife and I went the traditional route, and after 5 years, we are VERY happy...however neither she nor I will cast stones at anyone who doesn't choose to get married...and you are spot-on about government needing to stay out of certain things (LOL---I as much said this in another post of mine today)...I'm sorry, but neither my wife and I nor a lot of other couples require anyone's blessing or seal of approval...

I think a lot of the disapproval of stuff that goes on nowadays, stems from folk who think that it's their right to tell people what to do and how to live their lives---well, sorry, but I didn't get the memo saying someone besides my supervisor at work is the boss of me, or anything that goes on in my life...

Basically, I'm saying I agree with YOU 100%, and some folks just need to grab a hammer and go pound salt...in other words, learn to mind your own business, and NOT everyone else's

Old 07-13-2009, 05:07 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,033,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
I remember you from back in the Politics forum, and I see the fire hasn't gone out yet!

My wife and I went the traditional route, and after 5 years, we are VERY happy...however neither she nor I will cast stones at anyone who doesn't choose to get married...and you are spot-on about government needing to stay out of certain things (LOL---I as much said this in another post of mine today)...I'm sorry, but neither my wife and I nor a lot of other couples require anyone's blessing or seal of approval...

I think a lot of the disapproval of stuff that goes on nowadays, stems from folk who think that it's their right to tell people what to do and how to live their lives---well, sorry, but I didn't get the memo saying someone besides my supervisor at work is the boss of me, or anything that goes on in my life...

Basically, I'm saying I agree with YOU 100%, and some folks just need to grab a hammer and go pound salt...in other words, learn to mind your own business, and NOT everyone else's
Thanks, Cap'n. Sounds like you and your misses are secure in yourselves and have a healthy self-esteem.

I just noticed that Mr. Branson has identified women's most "valued possession" as that which is found between her legs! Sorry, Branson dude, but MY most "valued possession" is my intellect/education. In second place is my Saab and NO MAN is allowed to take control of that, either!

Old 07-14-2009, 09:08 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,180,843 times
Quote:

Granted, marriage is something that was contrived to establish lineage of offspring for the purposes of inheritance of property.

It has, nevertheless, become a symbol of commitment in our culture. Even though, sadly, many people do not take it as seriously as they should.

Do I think that a "license" is necessary to make a commitment? No, I do not. However, when you get married, (generally), you perform a ceremony before family, friends and in many cases your God, which include vows to "love and honor" "until death do us part", etc. It is a FORMAL DECLARATION and one which, hopefully, the two people involved take very seriously.

It is the people's willingness to enter into this type of public contract that shows that they are really, really serious about it. That is the issue. That they are willing to commit THE REST OF THEIR LIFE to their partner. You do not see many people who are shacking up with this mind-set. Most of them have the attitude...."we'll hang in there and see if it works out, but if it doesn't, we'll move on". That is the crucial difference.

Regarding Dr. Laura's photos. I could care less. None of us are free of skeletons in our closet. When you are young, and foolish, you do foolish things. She is 62 years old now, and I hardly think she is the same impetuous girl that posed for those photos. And even so, it does not impact her ability to be wise and sensible and dispense good advice. (And neither does her unfortunate relationship with her mother, which I'm surprised you did not bring up as well).

20yrsinBranson

Last edited by 20yrsinBranson; 07-14-2009 at 09:10 AM.. Reason: remove apostrophe

Old 07-14-2009, 12:40 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,866,257 times
Quote:
Really. So, sex is only loving and proper if it's LICENSED by the government, like a pack of cigarettes?!
Its sad, but too may women treat relationships like they have one thing to sell and they want top dollar.

If they don't have much to offer, they are unhappy and depressed. If they are worried that its a depreciating asset, they are likely to sell it sooner rather than later and make a poor decision.

Unfortunately, few are interested in working on the whole package and waiting for a man with a similar view. Instead, their prime concern is: "what people will think" if the man they choose "appears" to be less than they should settle for.

Quote:
Obviously, she was not certain that her milk was saleable (probably sour) so she advertised the whole cow.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:51 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,662,125 times
My cousins life was made a living hell growing up because my Aunt steadily used Dr Laura's approach to raising children/teens. I have heard that Dr Laura - do not like her, do not respect her. . . and would LOVE to be in the same room with that woman for some brain on brain. That woman has issues about other women.

The same can be said in reverse that women do not need to buy the whole pig to get 7 ounces of sausage. . .there is a flip to everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships