Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 01:12 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,253,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Love may not. Sharing a life does.
No it doesn't...And most people that think like that may never find the true love they are looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 01:14 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,024,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl118 View Post
Yes there is. By a quick search, people here in FL seems to use the term "trailer home" interchangeably with "mobile home." They may not where you live, but they do here - and in other areas in the country:

Trailer park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (even shows pics)

Florida Trailer Home Lender Offering Florida Trailer Home Loans
Saving Florida's Trailer Home Communities | www.myidea.net
People use all sorts of odd phrases but just because they are used, it doesn't mean they're accurate or universally recognized. In the context of your post, I took it to be disparaging of those who live in mobile (or manufactured) homes, and, in particular, a slam at the man you're trying to paint as a loser.

I live in a mobile home and don't use credit cards. I'm not a loser. Yes, I'm taking this a bit personally.

Old 07-18-2009, 01:14 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,657,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
"(he's basically maxxed on his money making potential)"

Love has no dollar signs in it...
That's what people always say until they start arguing about the lack of it. Look at the divorce rates and the two top reasons for divorce in the US: adultery and money. You cannot pay the bills, get a mortgage, send kids to college, buy a car or go to an emergency visit to the Doctor or Dentist with love. Love does not make the world go round.

Sometimes, love just isn't enough to keep two people together living in bliss and harmony. If I were married to a man and I needed a root canal or other emergency dental work - and we could not afford it, but yet he told me that it was all OK because we had love. . guess how much I would be concerned about love at that point. I wouldn't. In fact, I'd probably need to go see a Dr at that point, as well, from sticking my foot so far up his. . . about "love." It would not be OK.

Old 07-18-2009, 01:17 PM

1,462 posts, read 4,871,099 times
Quote:
Hypothetical situation/question. Does not relate to me in any way. Just curious on your thoughts because a friend of mine encountered a situation similar to this recently.
A man the age of 39 years old is interested in you. You work hard and are financially stable and have a nice place. The man works but is not as financially stable - lives in a trailer home - lives paycheck to paycheck. But he seems sweet. He would like to go out with you and asks you out on a Tuesday for a Saturday night and adds, "because that's after he gets paid and will have the money to take you out after it clears the bank after a deposit on Friday." The man refuses to allow you to pay for anything - he is not the go dutch type. - Your thoughts on a man that says to to you?- Are you turned off by him after he says this to you?
- Any other thoughts welcomed.
Sure guys, chime in. I know you wanna!
Interesting approach this guy has, no doubt! Living in a trailer home isn't a bad thing; there are some pretty nice ones out there. Most people do live paycheck to paycheck but do NOT announce that while asking someone out on a date...bad move. This guy went into way too much detail while asking your friend out and yes, I would think twice before going out with someone who makes you feel guilty for spending his money which is what he has done by announcing how his check has to clear the bank..good grief!

Old 07-18-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Most of us did not say anything about the manufactured home.

If YOU are prone to abusing them, that's YOUR problem. Other people, even those who don't use them on a regular basis, at least have some access to money when needed. Not that I advocate not having savings for these purposes, but it's still better than nothing. I would agree, though, that a date does not constitute an emergency.
Well, some DID make rude comments about him living in a manufactured home.

And how on Earth did you come to the conclusion that I "am prone to abusing credit cards"? I was raised by parents who didn't believe in credit cards and drummed that into me. My folks even paid cash for their new cars!

Sorry, but this has nothing to do with me and my credit card status. I was simply pointing out the reasons that someone might not have a credit card to use on a date.

Old 07-18-2009, 01:18 PM

37,653 posts, read 46,077,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
I can't help but laugh. A person who lives in a MANUFACTURED HOME (sorry, but there's no such thing as a "trailer home," unless he's living in a camper hitched to a pickup truck), is working, is polite, respectful and upfront about his finances is a loser in most of your eyes?
Nope. I said that I, given my situation, would not date him.

Old 07-18-2009, 01:19 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,657,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
People use all sorts of odd phrases but just because they are used, it doesn't mean they're accurate or universally recognized. In the context of your post, I took it to be disparaging of those who live in mobile (or manufactured) homes, and, in particular, a slam at the man you're trying to paint as a loser.

I live in a mobile home and don't use credit cards. I'm not a loser. Yes, I'm taking this a bit personally.
Was his home the main focus in my post? No, it was not. It was a mere mention in comparison of her life VS his life. You are making it an issue. Get off it already and move on. Your taking it personally is your issue, do not dare make it mine.

Old 07-18-2009, 01:19 PM

926 posts, read 2,749,426 times
I'd date him even if he gave me TMI on his reasons lol

I sometimes live paycheck to paycheck depending on big expenses, but I can hold my own and even help my friends when they need it.

This economy is f*cked up, the fact that he has a job is great AND that he is trying to be a gentleman and pay is rare now a days. I wouldnt discredit him based on anything.

If I dated someone based on their living situation or financial status, I would have missed out on alot of good people and likewise with me. Im better with my money now because my ex taught me how to manage it.

Sometimes we look for the full package right there when it may need to just be created

Old 07-18-2009, 01:22 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,901,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
That is exactly right it is the man's responsibility to be the breadwinner. How can the man be the breadwinner in a relationship with the woman.......when it sounds like he is barely hanging on and taking care of himself? If this man is almost 40 years old and has not gotten his act together by now.......he never will! It does not take 20 years (age 20-40) for a man that is serious about his life to get it together. This is the reason this society has so many problems. Women have gone to work and in many cases are surpassing men in their careers and now men do not want to accept their role anymore.
Ha, tell the 1950's I say hello. Women like you are who perpetuates the existing stereotypes. And please don't use the term "Breadwinner". It's almost nauseating to hear.

Old 07-18-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Was his home the main focus in my post? No, it was not. It was a mere mention in comparison of her life VS his life. You are making it an issue. Get off it already and move on. Your taking it personally is your issue, do not dare make it mine.
You specifically stated you're looking for people to back up your reasoning in dissuading your friend from going on a date with this guy, and you provide the details. These details are obviously going to resonate with people and I'm sorry if my response doesn't back up your assessment.

It is a DATE, for Pete's sake. Did I miss the part where you actually know a lot more about the guy and your friend is thinking about marrying him?!

As one who also must be thrifty and also lives in a manufactured home, I would hope that wouldn't keep men from going out on a date with me and getting to know me better. People are a whole lot more than where they live and how big their paychecks are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships