Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 09:51 AM

1,776 posts, read 4,004,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
That's the point, I can usually tell when they are playing a role and I want no part of it. I wondered if anyone else noticed this, had a good eye for it, or what they're experiences have been. Surely all input is welcome even if it doesn't apply.

It would be something to question. Maybe not make a blanket assumption, but something to keep your eye open for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 09:54 AM

7,454 posts, read 13,427,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
Those were the terms I was thinking of- if they have large wads of cash, then they are into something illegal.
Not always, I have made 10K + purchases with cash. All on personal exchanges on pickups on trademe purchases (similar to ebay) or similar.
No electronic option avaliable.

9,230 posts, read 16,546,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
It would be something to question. Maybe not make a blanket assumption, but something to keep your eye open for.
Absolutely.

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
I have always used Debit Cards, however I have become very uncomfortble with them and for good reason. I have had my card used twice now by thieves. One for $2000 within 30 minutes of the theft, the other by the Doctors office administrative staff. I was one of hundreds of patients here in Portland, where patients account numbers were used for both financial and idenity theft. I don't blame anyone in this country, man or woman for going back in time and using cash now instead of plastic. Perhaps some of these men you have met have had bad experiences with plastic. I only know as much as I would prefer to use plastic, I find myself using cash more and more now.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:57 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Quote:
Inspired by another thread.

From time to time, I'll come across or witness a man who pays for all his drinks/dinners/purchases with cash. They'll whip out a wad and pay for each drink, one by one. A common response when someone comments on said wad (like how crazy they are for walking around with so much money) is they don't "believe in credit cards".

I have had these very men approach me over the years and it has become a huge red flag for me. I am all for keeping the debt down. However, I can usually tell when someone is being financially responsible and when they can't even open a bank account. I won't touch the latter with a 10 foot pole.

Thoughts?
The very act of using a credit card in itself can be a problem. It always needs to be paid back in time. One of the reasons I my debit card 99% of the time. It's just cut and throw

Old 07-23-2009, 09:57 AM

1,776 posts, read 4,004,233 times
I'd rather use a credit card, since, if it is stolen, you can dispute it and not have your personal funds tied up.

It takes discipline, but I prefer to approach it that way.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:00 AM

78,408 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Inspired by another thread.

From time to time, I'll come across or witness a man who pays for all his drinks/dinners/purchases with cash. They'll whip out a wad and pay for each drink, one by one. A common response when someone comments on said wad (like how crazy they are for walking around with so much money) is they don't "believe in credit cards".

I have had these very men approach me over the years and it has become a huge red flag for me. I am all for keeping the debt down. However, I can usually tell when someone is being financially responsible and when they can't even open a bank account. I won't touch the latter with a 10 foot pole.

Thoughts?
Ok, I will bite.

I either pay cash or credit card. I do NOT "flash cash" and I have essentially no debt at all and a stellar credit score.

When I go out to a bar\club like I did last Friday it's not uncommon for me to have about $300 on me (no I don't spend it all) and at places like that I generally just pay cash because it's lots of incremental purchases and running a tab can be a pain at times especially with large groups and figuring out what goes where it's easier to just settle up as I go. If it's dinner...I generally pay by credit card unless I'm wanting to get out of there and happen to have the right amount of change to cover the bill and tip right.

Also, I will INTENTIONALLY pay cash at small businesses..especially if I know the owners because then they don't get hit with the couple % credit card charge which adds up.

So, <shrug> don't generalize is my only advice.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:04 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Ok, I will bite.

I either pay cash or credit card. I do NOT "flash cash" and I have essentially no debt at all and a stellar credit score.
Perhaps you should flash cash

When I was little I saw the movie Goodfellas. I saw DeNiro placing dollar bills in an array for the bartender as a tip, and I was like whew, I wanna do that some day

Old 07-23-2009, 10:04 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
I pay with cash most times. The last thing I want to do is fumble around with credit or debit cards in a crowded bar, and unless I know the place very well, I'm not leaving any tabs open on my card. Cash is king and it also allows me to tip the bartender or waitress on the spot rather than mess around with plastic.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:07 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogge View Post
You think the only people that pay cash our tip earners or illegal earners??

Real Men think someone using a card for a $2 cup of coffee are losers. It is also a HUGE generational thing. There were no debit cards 20 years ago.
LOL. I dont use a card for chewing gum or lotto tickets. I do use it for just about anything else. Starbucks mocha - debit card, gas - debit card, dinner - debit card, 12 pack of Bass - debit card.

Dont even need cash to pay street parking meters anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships