Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 02:52 PM

306 posts, read 328,397 times

Advertisements

The Uhs are definitely somewhat annoying, although I must say I myself use the um, or ya know not thinking about it. I would say its a habit, and a bad one at that if your a public speaker. One though that luckily I dont use but have heard college/high school kids using is "So Amazing" , example: "My date last night with that hot new guy from school was so amazing. I must say my friends are so amazing, and my family is ammaaazing, and that cookie i just ate was soo amaazing!" The second one is "good times", oh man that one just makes me wanna punch someone, the person saying it in particular lol. Example: "Oh hey girl, me and Katie went to drink at Bobby's, there were so many hotties, yeah, oh yeah, good times!" "Last night my brother and I were goofing around playing video games, when our friend Kip decided to stick a paper clip in the electric socket and get majorly electricuted, it was hilarious, good times man, good times!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 02:59 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,713,148 times

YouTube - Like_youknow

Old 07-29-2009, 03:23 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Guy I went to high school with started nearly every statement with "Hey man" and ended with "by God". He finally quit when a bunch of us counted up how many times he used each phrase in 5 minutes - something like 18 and 20 - it was a lot.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:07 PM

314 posts, read 936,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl118 View Post
Whydoucare, you can have him alllll to yourself. I won't fight you on that. I will be busy and have plans for any dinner he absolutely begs my presence for. I'll uhhhhhh have uhhhh volleyball that night.
Thanks Jeepgirl!!

Old 07-29-2009, 04:10 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,652,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whydoucare? View Post
Thanks Jeepgirl!!
Anytime!!

Old 07-29-2009, 04:15 PM

897 posts, read 1,592,344 times
I do it. It's because I'm thinking about what I'm about to say and the best way to elaborate my point. Nothing more than that.
I even do so when I type. There are plenty of times when I get half way through a sentence, delete it and start over or replace one word with another, more eloquent one.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:17 PM

751 posts, read 2,481,373 times
It's just a silence filler. Some people get anxious by the silence and need to fill it. Some don't realize they are even doing it. Don't crucify them, it's just a crutch they feel they need for whatever reason. Sometimes as they feel more comfortable with you, it will lessen. If it really bothers you, point it out nicely.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:32 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,856,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1phwalls View Post
It's just a silence filler. Some people get anxious by the silence and need to fill it. Some don't realize they are even doing it. Don't crucify them, it's just a crutch they feel they need for whatever reason. Sometimes as they feel more comfortable with you, it will lessen. If it really bothers you, point it out nicely.
One of the few posts that is anything more than just another rant against men. Guys are understandably nervous and with this crowd, I'm surprised they don't start to stutter too!

I suppose. in the end, they'll get what they deserve.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:40 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
wow, I didn't realize you all were such perfect speakers!
I am.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:40 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,856,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyShouldIWorry View Post
Since everything most men say will be disected and analyzed for evidence of some hidden flaw, is it any wonder that such men are slow to speak and very careful about what they say?
One nice thing about getting older is not really caring that much how things work out. You can now come across as "confident" and prove the lie that this is what women want. What is even better is when you quickly "gross them out" by being frank and running smack into one of their ridiculous neuroses.

A younger guy might be more worried about getting laid first and then worry about all of this. But when one gets older, who has the time to waste on such nonsense?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships