Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 07:36 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,483,536 times

Advertisements

I think a day/night with the girls/boys is a necessity in all relationships at all ages, ranging from my 21 year old sister and her boyfriend to my 80 years old & married for 57 years grandparents. Further, in a relationship where minor kids aren't involved (ie, no reason to consider who'll be looking after them), I see no reason why any permission is needed. An independent adult should be allowed to grab a drink or visit a friend's house without a permission slip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 10:48 AM

20,417 posts, read 14,709,812 times
I don't really do GNO 'cause I'm not a very typical feminine girly girl. I also don't drink, I'm 100% sober 100% of the time.

BUT...I wish I had more female friends so that I could antique shop with them. I'd love to meet one or 2 women who are older than me (I'm 33 and don't identify well with women in their 20's and low 30's usually.) I'd just like someone who could appreciate some things by my side, that my husband doesn't. For me, that's symphony, museums, and antiques.

BUT...also, my husband and I have had a similar problem. I do like to go out to metal concerts, preferably without him. Why without him? Because he is the sort who expects me to stand by his side, staring vacantly into his eyes and holding his hand the whole time, or letting him dominate the conversation if we talk to anyone else. When I get there and want to chat with as many other human beings, male female or otherwise, as possible...he feels lost, neglected, and jealous that my attention is being spread around. Even though there is zero flirtation and I'm not dressed like a hot female. He says he feels like a "hanger on." He's just not interested in making friends out of strangers and being randomly social like I am. Plus I like to be front row in the pit, and he doesn't (odd, huh?) So we don't hang out together much even when we go together. Sometimes he drinks too much and makes a real nuisance of himself, then I get mad. So I'd rather just go by myself or with friends who are there for the same experience as me.

He used to get really, really insecure about it. Especially since I'm friends with some of the bands and have been backstage. Other Army guys tell him he shouldn't "let his wife" go to the shows or go backstage or hang out with other guys like that. But these musicians are in their 40's...they're not Motley Crue for crying out loud...they're just down to earth nice dudes. Most are married or otherwise taken. They're from my hometown. We get along as friends and like to talk. Anyhow...since about 2005 I've been doing this at least once if not six times per year (my record) and finally, he is getting used to it and setting aside his discomfort.

I would never go to a strip club. I'd rather he didn't either. But if he wanted to go see an all female rock band perform, without me, I'd be cool with it. If he chatted em up and hang out backstage, I'd be fine with that, too.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:50 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,194,453 times
Someone who is going to cheat is going to cheat - she/he doesn't need a girl's/boy's night out to do it. Someone who isn't going to cheat isn't going to cheat - regardless. Why would a person hanging out with their friends ever be a bad thing? You either trust someone or you don't. And if you don't trust them - you shouldn't be with them.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:29 PM

2 posts, read 3,012 times
I've never found it to be an issue personally. I mean girls like to sing and dance and be silly. Guys don't really appreciate that stuff. I have lots of girlfriends both married and single who go out for girls night out. Its never turned out to be anything but simply having fun with the girls. I however am not "allowed" to go out with the girls. My husband says its not something a married woman should do. He never takes me out anywhere but the grocery either. I know what you are thinking. No I'm not fat or ugly. He's just insecure. I know that

Old 08-21-2014, 07:32 PM

2 posts, read 3,012 times
I get invited all the time. But have to politely decline.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:43 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,317,273 times
Red flag for me. Obviously, women like this can't be trusted.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:52 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,775,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Not a guy here, but when my friends and I get together for "Girls Night Out", ugh, we do not frequent strip clubs. We go grab dinner and a nice dinner....the ballet, yes, a bump and grind, no.
Yep! Sounds like some crazy girls nights out for those gals.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:24 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,209,512 times
Have you seen dancing bear? It's based off of real life events....

Old 08-23-2014, 01:43 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,437,708 times
Usually mostly trouble...if you hear 'what happens there stays there' you know it's some sh.

Old 08-23-2014, 02:16 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,251,883 times
I don't mind GNO. Gives me time to be alone and relief from in house drama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships