Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 01:57 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,903,345 times

Advertisements

Why the hell do people ask for advice and pick and choose which advice they agree with. Why do they ignore what they do not want to hear and praise the advice most convenient for them??

Mod's, this isn't meant to be antagonistic, but after browsing these threads today I cannot believe people could be so desperate for advice yet reject logic.

I guess that goes back to the thought that the more people take the more they need? I don't get it...Any thoughts?

This can also include those who seek the obvious advice...and we discussed this before (i.e. I just learned my hubby is a 2 time registered sex offender. Should we still adopt?) <---just an example, and some are THAT obvious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 01:58 PM

8,410 posts, read 39,290,554 times
Logic is perception based on personal values.

I like to think out loud with people. I don't have to agree with them all. But thats just me.

Old 08-26-2009, 02:10 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,460,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That-Guy View Post
Why the hell do people ask for advice and pick and choose which advice they agree with. Why do they ignore what they do not want to hear and praise the advice most convenient for them??

Mod's, this isn't meant to be antagonistic, but after browsing these threads today I cannot believe people could be so desperate for advice yet reject logic.

I guess that goes back to the thought that the more people take the more they need? I don't get it...Any thoughts?

This can also include those who seek the obvious advice...and we discussed this before (i.e. I just learned my hubby is a 2 time registered sex offender. Should we still adopt?) <---just an example, and some are THAT obvious.

Most of the time they're just seeking validation, not advice.

Old 08-26-2009, 02:16 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,397,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Most of the time they're just seeking validation, not advice.
Pretty much.

Old 08-26-2009, 02:36 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,334,976 times
Quote:

Some people are just idots and no amount of advice will ever change that!

Old 08-26-2009, 02:38 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,620,063 times
Well if you don't agree with me that Twinkle Toes should be congratulated on her annivesary, then don't read my thread, hmmmphh

Old 08-26-2009, 02:39 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,903,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
[/b]

Some people are just idots and no amount of advice will ever change that!
Lol, very insightful.

Old 08-26-2009, 02:41 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,273,444 times
I think there are people who ask for advice when they already know what decisions they are going to make. They are just looking for validation...

Old 08-26-2009, 02:44 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,433,277 times
Quote:

I only agree with half of your post, That-Guy. I don't want to hear the other half

Old 08-26-2009, 03:02 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,993,229 times
Quote:
God I hate people who do that. Why even bother to come to a forum to ask for advice if you're going to ignore reason? Its like getting all dressed up to go to a dance, but when you get there you wont dance.

Original Poster: "My husband is cheating on me and is physically abusive to me and my kids, his step children. I also think he gave me herpes. What shall I do?"
Reply 1: "Leave him"
Reply 2: "Your health and your childrens' health and lives may be at stake, you should find another place to live asap and/or call the police".
Reply 3: "Thats awful. I saw another post where you say you live in Florida and go boating a lot. But anyways, you should try to work things out with your husband, that is the christian thing to do."
OP only Replies to Reply 3: "Oh its great going out on the boat in the open sea. Its so relaxing. My husband is a really good fisherman as well and we just have a great time. I really dont want to give up boating which I enjoy. I'll try to work things out with my husband. He's just been under stress lately. Thank you".

The only ones worse than them are the ones who ask for advice or start a thread only to never participate in the discussion. Those folks should be banned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships